DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mom keeps on my ass about a Christmas list. I don't need anything. Still on my ass. Tell her I don't need anything. Still on my ass. Figured I'd throw an amp, or maybe at least the wiring parts for one on there or something. I don't really have the time right now to research the hell out of the amps.

2007 Dodge Ram Mega Cab
Pioneer AVIC Z120VT head unit
Focal 165V30 speakers

Need subs/amp also for that.

Thank you.
- Dave

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
google and crutchfield tech are great resources when you dont have the time to search for yourself....defining a budget and size requirement may assist others willing to spoonfeed you :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey good point there. Let's say in the $3xx range for the amp. Size? Well, I would say whatever in that range would be the best value. I understand that money won't get me a super great amp, but, I think it will get me something better than I have (nothing), and if it's not really what I want or want better, I could put it in another vehicle and grab something else later on.

2 channel should be fine. Didn't plan on putting speakers in the back I don't think.

Oh, maybe you meant size for the subs. I haven't even thought about that yet, don't worry about it (LOL). I'm on the fence between 10/12.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hey good point there. Let's say in the $3xx range for the amp. Size? Well, I would say whatever in that range would be the best value. I understand that money won't get me a super great amp, but, I think it will get me something better than I have (nothing), and if it's not really what I want or want better, I could put it in another vehicle and grab something else later on.

2 channel should be fine. Didn't plan on putting speakers in the back I don't think.

Oh, maybe you meant size for the subs. I haven't even thought about that yet, don't worry about it (LOL). I'm on the fence between 10/12.
JL Audio XD400/4

Run it bridged passively, ([email protected]) or add an external crossover and run active. Add the 600/1 for subs later.

Small amps are nice for behind the seats on our trucks.

Go tell Santa now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Frank. I noticed these speakers are rated at 80W RMS/160 Max. Is 180x2 RMS a bit overkill or how does that work?

I wasn't sure how to properly size it. If my speakers are 80 RMS, should I shoot for a 75-80W RMS amp, or go up to 100 RMS or what.

I don't plan on running back speakers right now; but I don't know if I'm going to want to in the future, so I am undecided if I should get a 4-channel amp 'just in case'.

Thanks.

The XD series are so small. What gives? I see they are Class D, the Slash is A/B. I thought D was for subs...

And how do they compare to the Slash series?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks Frank. I noticed these speakers are rated at 80W RMS/160 Max. Is 180x2 RMS a bit overkill or how does that work?

I wasn't sure how to properly size it. If my speakers are 80 RMS, should I shoot for a 75-80W RMS amp, or go up to 100 RMS or what.

I don't plan on running back speakers right now; but I don't know if I'm going to want to in the future, so I am undecided if I should get a 4-channel amp 'just in case'.

Thanks.

The XD series are so small. What gives? I see they are Class D, the Slash is A/B. I thought D was for subs...

And how do they compare to the Slash series?
I think that overmatching the amps to the speakers is OK, as long as you're careful with the gains. I misread the power handling on the v30's so I think you'd be OK to run with the front 2 channels only. For the extra $100 I would grab the 4 as its such a tiny amp anyways.

As for the class D, all the new JL HD amps are class D as well and there are no complaints...I think you are good there.

Everything I've read on the XD amps has been good...seems to be a lot of value there. Worth a try over anything else in the price range, of course IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts