DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Amp for SI SQL 15's

3K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  Rferrara1 
#1 · (Edited)
I just purchased 2 SQL 15's that I will run sealed in 4 cu ft. I have read on here that they are power hungry. I really don't want to blow these things as for a poor man like me that's a lot of money. I looked at the Sundown SFB1500 that makes about 2200 RMS @ 1 ohm. Also looked at this NVX NVX VAD27001 | 2700W Monoblock Marine/Powersports Amplifier

I'd like to keep it to 300.00 or less if possible. Any other good options I should look at ? Anyone ever ran an NVX mono amp ? Subs are D4 so I can run a 1 or 4 ohm load. Guess I'm trying to decide on a full bridge or half bridge amp.

#7 ·
Yeah I may just have to up the budget to get a half bridge Korean amp. Maybe something around 3k at 1 ohm for a little headroom. Honda I've seen you say that about 4k before, but haven't been back on here long enough to tell if that's a joke or not, 😆 If that ZAPCO 2k in the classifieds lasts until I have the money I'd love to have it.

#11 ·
I'm thinking you'll have to go Korean to try and give those some proper power for a decent price. Either that or go for the cheapest route of power......Skar.

The 300 dollars hampers you a bit.
When I was looking for big power I used both Wolfram (R.I.P.) and Sundown.

If you can find a way to swing the extra 500 bucks at some point...that SI 3000.1 is beautiful.

Reactions: miniSQ
#13 ·
Well I have my eye on that ZAPCO ST-2000 in the classifieds, if he doesn't sell it in the next few weeks I'll most likely pick that up (I'm a bit of a ZAPCO fan). If not then I'll just keep my eye out for a bargain. If no bargain happens by the time I sell the car and boat I may just splurge for an Orion HCCA 3000.1dsplx and play nice with the bass knob.

#17 ·
Yeah after seeing possible issues with high or low voltage with full bridge amps, I think I'm gonna go the half bridge route. I have a bad history with Murphy's law.

I should rip my old MB Quart DSC2000.1 out of my Mustang before I sell it and put a Skar or something in it's place, lol

#19 ·
Yeah after seeing possible issues with high or low voltage with full bridge amps, I think I'm gonna go the half bridge route. I have a bad history with Murphy's law.

I should rip my old MB Quart DSC2000.1 out of my Mustang before I sell it and put a Skar or something in it's place, lol

Just to throw it out there as they're respected amps- the JL Slash monos are full bridge.
I don't think I would go with a Brazilian amp design, but for watt per dollar- they're definitely hard to beat.

If you want reliable, stable, clean power- it costs more than you're budgeting.

Run with the MB & if it's not enough- upgrade! 🙂

#20 ·
I will definitely up the budget, I guess the main question is how many watts can I safely throw at these things ? Stay safe with 2k or throw 3-3500 at them ? Sundown has the SIA-2500d that has smart technology with voltage protection for 369.00 and makes a little over 3k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.