DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be running a very simple 2-way + single sub setup with Dynaudio Esotar 650 woofers, Dynaudio MD102 tweeters, and a single Focal 33kx subwoofer. At least, for now anyway. I may add some midranges down the road.

The Dyn 650's are rated at 200w @ 4ohm and the Focal 33kx is a 2ohm DVC rated at 400w (will be run in series @ 4ohm).

Do you guys think it would be wise to run something like the Mosconi AS 200.4 to power my woofers, bridge 2 of the channels for the sub, and use a separate, smaller amp for the tweets? This way, if I want to go 3-way and get some mids I can swap out the 2-ch for another 4-channel like the KS300.4.

I was originally thinking of going with something like the Arc Audio KS300.2 for the sub, but since this is my first system build and I'm wondering how important features on dedicated sub amps like subsonic filters are.

EDIT - see post 9 for more detail

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow, that's a tough one. I have a suggestion, but it's very open to criticism, and for good reason. 2 small identical 5 channel amps... bridge the 4 channels of 1 for the mids, then run only 2 of the 4 channels of the other for the tweets (maybe front left for 1 tweeter and rear right for the other tweeter). Then use 1 sub channel for each voice coil of the sub. The sub setup is real iffy and would require perfect level matching, but it would provide great stereo separation and independent gain adjustment for each mid and tweeter. You could also custom stack the amps. Some guys here would puke after reading this, but it's an awkward setup for a unique problem.

If you don't like that idea (which I wouldn't blame you), I would do what you originally thought which is to do a 4 channel (maybe 150Wrms x4 @ 4ohm) for the mid and sub and then a small 2 channel for the tweets. You may even be able to run the tweets off the deck at first just to get an idea of the sound before deciding on an amp for them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess the most important question is, are there any specific features on monoblocks or 2-ch sub amps that I wouldn't find on a 4-ch amp (besides a subsonic filter)?

Since I'm having a professional installer set this system up as active and will be using a BitTen or BitOne, the SS filter is probably a non-issue, right?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I'll be running a very simple 2-way + single sub setup with Dynaudio Esotar 650 woofers, Dynaudio MD102 tweeters, and a single Focal 33kx subwoofer. At least, for now anyway. I may add some midranges down the road.

The Dyn 650's are rated at 200w @ 4ohm and the Focal 33kx is a 2ohm DVC rated at 400w (will be run in series @ 4ohm).

Do you guys think it would be wise to run something like the Mosconi AS 200.4 to power my woofers, bridge 2 of the channels for the sub, and use a separate, smaller amp for the tweets? This way, if I want to go 3-way and get some mids I can swap out the less expensive / smaller tweeter amp for another 4-channel like the KS300.4.

I was originally thinking of going with something like the Arc Audio KS300.2 for the sub, but since this is my first system build and I'm wondering how important features on dedicated sub amps like subsonic filters are.

If you run your tweets like that there will be seperation between the channels.
No left, no right just a mono signal. For me that wouldnt work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you run your tweets like that there will be seperation between the channels.
No left, no right just a mono signal. For me that wouldnt work.
I'm not sure I follow. This is going to be an active setup: signal->BitOne->Mosconi (->woofers & sub) and 2-ch amp (tweeters).

Is it a bad idea to have the tweeters on a separate amp from the woofers in the front sound stage?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Massive Audio MX5 will do fine.

It has a SSF.

You could bridge the 4 channels for the components and the sub channel will do [email protected]

Edit: Didn't read you were going active. May not work. 4 channel is ~100x4.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like you're no afraid to spend a little money. You could do a zed audio Leviathan and be done.
I got the Dynaudio drivers used in the classifieds, so I'm not exactly making it rain here. :D

Here are my biggest considerations:
  • Cost - keep the amp setup $1000 or less
  • Power - sufficient power to the drivers? [email protected] for the midbass, [email protected] for the tweets, [email protected] (or more) for the sub. Maybe my woofers and tweets don't need that much power... This is my first DIY build so I'm probably in over my head.
  • Space - I'm trying to find a delicate balance between performance and practicality, as I want to be able to fit a golf bag in my trunk ('05 Acura TL). I would prefer not to go with two huge class A / class a/b amps, but I think I could make this work with one big amp and a smaller amp. Essentially, I think I can only fit a maximum of 2 amps.
  • Flexibility - I'm probably over-thinking this... but is it possible to get an amp setup that would make going 3-way cost effective? Adding a midrange + custom kick panels STARTS at ~$550. If I go with a 4-ch for the front stage and a monoblock for the sub, going 3-way (or adding rear fill for my passengers) means a whole new set of amps. I feel like my options are:
That said, if I'm limited to 2 amps, here are my options:

2-way
  1. 2-way: 5-channel like the Audison AV 5.1k or LRx 5.1k
  2. 2-way: 4-channel (front) + monoblock (sub)
  3. 2-way: 4-channel (midbass, sub) + 2-channel (tweets)
3-way
  1. 3-way: 5-channel (midbass, midrange, sub) + 2-channel (tweeters)
  2. 3-way: 4-channel amp (midbass + sub) + 4-channel (tweeters + midrange)
Maybe I should setup a poll? :laugh:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like you're no afraid to spend a little money. You could do a zed audio Leviathan and be done.
A bit too expensive new but a V2 or V3 in the used market may be a possibility.

·
Banned
312 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the recs, not a fan of JL audio though. <hipsteraudioguy>Too mainstream! </hipsteraudioguy>

I picked up the Mosconi and will be going with 2-way option #2. Now I just need to find an amp for the sub. I have my eyes set on an Arc Audio KS300.2 but I may settle for a good monoblock.

·
Banned
312 Posts
This will be my second time to use JL slash amps. Used a 450/4 on a little system for my wife in her previous G35 coupe. I was pleased with it's performance for the dollar. The slash amps seem to be a pretty solid choice for my current application as well. Hope I am not disappointed.

All of my previous systems back-in-the-day were LP.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This will be my second time to use JL slash amps. Used a 450/4 on a little system for my wife in her previous G35 coupe. I was pleased with it's performance for the dollar. The slash amps seem to be a pretty solid choice for my current application as well. Hope I am not disappointed.

All of my previous systems back-in-the-day were LP.
I doubt you'll be disappointed. Car audio is all a bunch of hoopla these days! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts