DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a optimus 150W 4Ch stereo amplifier that i had hooked up to 2 6.5" subs, everything worked great and i just got my JBL gto 12" in. I re installed all the wiring so it would be nice and clean for 2 amps, I have a 4 AWG power wire running to a dist. block then running 7 AWG (yes odd size) to each amp, then 7 AWG grounds. Now when my truck is started everything runs great, no problems at all.. but when i put it on accesory for some odd reason the optimus amp throws into protect mode but my 1000W amp runs fine no problems, this really isnt a big deal but it would be nice to figure out why it does this, I have my RCA's from my head unit going, front RCA to Optimus Amp, And Rear To Sony Amp. I have check all grounds and all connections (even though this couldnt be the problem because it runs fine with truck started.) Any input would help, like I said its not a big deal but for future references it might help. Plus i throw tailgate parties every so often and leave my truck on accesoriy and start it every so often so battery doesnt die (I have a marine maxx deep cycle battery.)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ok, so when you go turn the key in the ignition, the optimus goes into protect, but then comes back out when the car's running? If that's the case it's probably the circuitry in the amplifier sensing weird voltages from the turn on lead or even power.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Ok, so when the truck is running, it's fine, but after shutting it off and putting it in accessory mode it quits..? How about with the key turned forward that first notch? does it do it then?

Any way to test voltage? do you have a volt meter? My thought is the sub amp can handle lower battery voltage then the other amp... I wonder if your battery is going...

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
When a vehicle is running the alternator provides power to the whole system.

When a vehicle is not running the battery provides power to the whole system.

Get a much bigger battery [ amperes per hour ],if you want to be able to supply the amperes to run when turned off.;)

Or buy two batteries,etc..,

There is a site that explains basics of car audio and electronics called BCAE

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i have a optimus 150W 4Ch stereo amplifier that i had hooked up to 2 6.5" subs, everything worked great and i just got my JBL gto 12" in. I re installed all the wiring so it would be nice and clean for 2 amps, I have a 4 AWG power wire running to a dist. block then running 7 AWG (yes odd size) to each amp, then 7 AWG grounds. Now when my truck is started everything runs great, no problems at all.. but when i put it on accesory for some odd reason the optimus amp throws into protect mode but my 1000W amp runs fine no problems, this really isnt a big deal but it would be nice to figure out why it does this, I have my RCA's from my head unit going, front RCA to Optimus Amp, And Rear To Sony Amp. I have check all grounds and all connections (even though this couldnt be the problem because it runs fine with truck started.) Any input would help, like I said its not a big deal but for future references it might help. Plus i throw tailgate parties every so often and leave my truck on accesoriy and start it every so often so battery doesnt die (I have a marine maxx deep cycle battery.)

So what amps are you running?

It's really hard to read that block of text and understand what you are trying to say.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
falkenbd he doesn't have enough juice to run his system with the vehicle turned off :(

If he connected a battery charger it would work.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i wouldn't think that low volumes would force an amp into protect mode on battery power...

it kind of sounds like there is another problem, maybe with wiring...

he should measure voltage at the battery and at the amps...

I bet there is voltage loss due to crappy grounds or crappy 4 awg wire that is actually 8 awg with lots of extra plastic on it :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea i got a lil tipsy while trying to type, anyhow i got out the meter and found out its the battery, time for a new one i guess, it drops power like crazy while in acc. I guess the other amp sucks all the power and throws it into protect.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
yea i got a lil tipsy while trying to type, anyhow i got out the meter and found out its the battery, time for a new one i guess, it drops power like crazy while in acc. I guess the other amp sucks all the power and throws it into protect.

The amp is going into under-voltage protect... You can usually run amps down to ~11v or so, before they shut down...

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
I bet there is voltage loss due to crappy grounds or crappy 4 awg wire that is actually 8 awg with lots of extra plastic on it :(
If wires are undersized they become warmer, if you have an open circuit {no ground } nothing happens [no juice can flow if the circle is broken].

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea the grounds are good are the wires are plenty big. Nothing gets hot at all. Its time for a new battery... The main power wire is monster cable i believe its true 4 awg, the 7 awg running from the dist. block is schosche so im not too sure about it, but like i said nothing runs hot at all. At lower volumes its fine but when you crank it up to about half way it throws into protect mode after about 30 seconds.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Yea the grounds are good are the wires are plenty big. Nothing gets hot at all. Its time for a new battery... The main power wire is monster cable i believe its true 4 awg, the 7 awg running from the dist. block is schosche so im not too sure about it, but like i said nothing runs hot at all. At lower volumes its fine but when you crank it up to about half way it throws into protect mode after about 30 seconds.
with the truck off, correct...?

But, it's fine while running..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea with the truck running everything is fine i can crank it up as much as i want and play music for hours (i travel) and nothing goes into protect mode or even gets hot, but with the truck in acc. the optimus amp runs fine until cranked up about half way the it goes into protect mode but the sony amp runs fine. before i hooked the sony amp up the optimus amp ran fine in acc. with no problems.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
OK, so the amp is running on >12 volts (alternator) but with the key off, it goes into protect.

This tells me that, like others have said, your battery is weak, and is dropping below 11 volts in acc.

GET A NEW BATTERY. If you dont, you will be replacing your alternator very soon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea I'm on my way to get a new battery later on... I sure as hell don't wanna have to buy a new alternator.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts