DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been diligently working on the newest iteration of my install. This time, it features a large steel amp rack to hold everything, 1" 1/8" wall mild steel. I was thinking, to simplify things, if I could ground my amps (all Soundstream Rubicons) to the rack, and then ground the rack to the chassis. Of course it would be bare metal on both the amps and the rack.

We all know they are - but how well are amps grounded to their shells?

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
I would not ground the casing, I would try to find a way to isolate it.

Reason being...."it depends" There have been too many issues with amps having the chassis grounded and little to NO problems with them being NOT grounded ;)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the casings are in fact grounded through the casing. I was curious if the grounding was similar to computer power supplies, where the actual casing is attached directly to the incoming ground wire, and the pcb grounds to the casing.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Dunno you have to test it, The casing may just float. Computer PS's are that way because they have to have a safety ground by law.... the green wire s there for safety, it's tied to the neutral int he box, if the hot wire hits the chassis it shorts to ground/neutral and blows the breaker as opposed to staying hot and waiting on you to touch it and something that IS ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts