DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for input from someone familiar with the internals of typical class D amps.

I have an amp that is taking the speaker-level input from an OEM head unit. What I want to do is tap into line-level inputs in that amp before amplification, run it through a miniDSP, then send the signal back to the amp for amplification. The amp has a speaker-level-to-line-level converter, and RCA line-level outputs.

HU >> Amp internal line level converter >> MiniDSP >> Amplification circuit >> speakers

Has anyone tried hacking an amp like this?

(yes... I know I could replace the HU, buy a separate line-level converter, or get an OEM integration unit instead of hacking around with amp internals)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
probably need to find a schematic and pull it from before the amplification section. Then you'll have to hard cut the amp and destroy its standalone abilities and then resplice your minidsp into it.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Yeah, you will need a service manual and some soldering skills. Hope that the speaker-level to line-level portion of the circuit is an exposed separate trace in the amp, and not buried in a chip somewhere...

What amp do you have? Maybe we can help find a service manual.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Save yourself the hassle and buy the balanced input mini dsp. Switch it to 2V input, build a 3:1 voltage divider with some 1/4 watt resistors you can buy at radio shack and send the speaker level output of the radio directly into the Mini DSP.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Save yourself the hassle and buy the balanced input mini dsp. Switch it to 2V input, build a 3:1 voltage divider with some 1/4 watt resistors you can buy at radio shack and send the speaker level output of the radio directly into the Mini DSP.
I think he wanted to "re-use" the amplifier portion of the amp though......

UN-realated: Andy, are you at CES?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I support this; it is simpler and does not require you tearing into your amp. Much cleaner solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Andy -- great idea.

For those who wondered about the available inputs on the experiment amp, there is a single set of RCA plug inputs that will take either line-level or speaker level inputs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts