DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wanted some opinions from the forum as I trust the advice from this forum over any other audio source anymore.

I have both the amplifiers listed in the title, the Skar LP-80.4ABV2 & Wolfram C-90.4. Both 4 channel, Skar obviously does 80x4 @4ohms and the Wolfram 90x4 @4ohms so power is a wash. I will ultimately end up using both in my install but am trying to decide in what way. One amp will power my front stage (SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35 6.5s and Tang Band 25-2176 Tweeters) and the other will run my rear coaxials (I need rear fill for passengers) and midrange (Dayton RS75-4) if I decide to run a 3 way front stage. For starters it will just be the 2 way active front stage. Amps get their signal from my Dayton Audio DSP-408.

So I'm just looking for opinions on what amp to use on the front stage, essentially which 1 would you guys personally prefer or think is a better amp? The Skar is a class A/B where the Wolfram is class D.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Use the classA/B for where you want your SQ and the class D for your lower end where the SQ is not as important
I know class D amps have gotten better over the last few years but IMHO class A/B still is the better Choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
The alternative option would be to use the more efficient amp for the front, since it will be the most power hungry, and the efficiency will be helpful. Then use the A/B amp for the rear since those speakers will not be using much power at all.

This option would be kinder on the electrical system. I don't have experience with either amp, but class D is excellent these days (personally, I won't use A/B in a car ever again), if the Wolfram amp is as good as I suspect it is, it will perform every bit as good as the Skar, and draw a lot less current in the process.

Personally, I'd skip the rears (sound from the front still reaches the backseat), but if you are running rears you now have 2 justified options to consider.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts