1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weighing in at a portly 211.2lbs, myself. 0x10000watts

Soundstream 604 old school, 4x60watts, weighing in at 12.8 pounds

and an a/d/s/ 6x40watts, weighing in at 9.2lbs

and two pics of the a/d/s/ to-246 ouput transistors, MJL3281 and MJL1302 pair (sorry couldn't get any clearer shots)

Despite my darndest, I could not weigh the amps on my scale without me standing on it, it would just shut off and not register. Hope you enjoy.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Nice scale :)

My cat weighs the same on my sunbeam digital as he does with me on it with him. 12.5Lbs.

I weigh exactly 15 lbs less than you, If I weigh my dog in my arms and can actually see the numbers it blinks "000"

How much does my dog weigh?

Chad

BTW that a/d/s is put together "weigh" better than my 850MX!

·
Registered
533 Posts
nice pics oce ,i had an ss 604 myself in 95 woo-10yrs ago!, it lasted about 2 yrs running 4 ohm stereo

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to weigh almost 15 pounds less almost a year ago! biking half an hour a day, 4 times a week roughly to get it off...

I have no idea how much your dog weighs, 805 pounds? Unless the scale goes out of range... I couldn't imagine that you could hold a dog in your arms that heavy AND look down at the numbers if it was bursting the scale. I'm stumped.

They're two broken amps I bought on here to learn how to repair them, once I get some final parts for testing, hopefully for my b-day in a month, I'll be up and running.

I haven't taken apart my 860mx, but I would have assumed it was constructed similarly... Chad, have you thought about the possibility that the input caps have gone bad, causing the DC offset? Just reading about the AN1192 spec sheet:

http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-1192.pdf

which is the National monolithic (all in one) amp chip that everyone seems to be using on diyaudio, and it was talking about cheap electrolytics causing DC Offset... So much to learn! just thinking ahead...

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Ocelaris, that sounds liek a really fun but problematic project, repairing the amps, but it would be intresting to do, i'd love to do it if i had even decent concept of the inner workings of electronics.

May I ask what your profession is?

I've always wondered to myself if i could switch out some of the DAC's or something like that on my home reciever to get even better SQ......its way over my head right now but still sounds like a possibility.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Ocelaris said:
I used to weigh almost 15 pounds less almost a year ago! biking half an hour a day, 4 times a week roughly to get it off...

I have no idea how much your dog weighs, 805 pounds? Unless the scale goes out of range... I couldn't imagine that you could hold a dog in your arms that heavy AND look down at the numbers if it was bursting the scale. I'm stumped.

They're two broken amps I bought on here to learn how to repair them, once I get some final parts for testing, hopefully for my b-day in a month, I'll be up and running.

I haven't taken apart my 860mx, but I would have assumed it was constructed similarly... Chad, have you thought about the possibility that the input caps have gone bad, causing the DC offset? Just reading about the AN1192 spec sheet:

http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-1192.pdf

which is the National monolithic (all in one) amp chip that everyone seems to be using on diyaudio, and it was talking about cheap electrolytics causing DC Offset... So much to learn! just thinking ahead...
The chain of events that occurred before and during the troubleshooting caused it to be incomplete. It DOES sound like a cap problem but I never got that far and bought a different amp. An open driver is suspect too, If I remember right it had a funky waveform under load too.

I'm working on a Soundstream now too, A reference 1000, Smoked power supply.... BAD.

I'm not bragging about weighing 15 pounds less than you, I'm only 5'8" :) I had a resolution to get my weight down and it's going well.

My scale goes out of range at 300 Lbs maybe 320. The dog weighs 130, that's more than my wife :) and since we are sharing pics of what we are weighing, here you go:

Taken 2 years ago on vacation, he has a little more grey now... (so do I)

Chad

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, my uncle used to keep Rots back in the 70s, he was only in his 40s, passed away last year, left 3 kids in high school and an amphetamine dependent wife, reminds me of him. Big dogs, very nice animals.

I knew the scale had to tip out, my old 87 skylark used to do that after like 110 it would blink blink blink and then the car would shut off!

I don't have any technical experience in electronics except what we are doing here and now. Check out www.bcae1.com the price of the amp repair tutorial has gone down from 90$ when I bought it, down to like 67$. Little bit at a time, it's as I like to think of it, a hobby for a lifetime, like gardening, you get better over time. I am far from being able to repair an amp, but there's no way to learn except by trying.

Funny
http://www.but.at/bmw performance_fun_bits.htm

·
Registered
533 Posts
my wife runs a no-prof dog rescue here in az. and loves rotties ,hope you dont mind i sent her your pick of your beau rottie,we are fostering two 8wk old rottie pups now -little monsters!!

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Ocelaris said:
How much DC offset are you getting? It's not to one of the rails, is it? :)

If it's a relatively minor amount of DC offset, it's also possible that it's a problem in the small signal stages, such as a problem with the differential amplifier or feedback circuit.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
MarkZ said:
How much DC offset are you getting? It's not to one of the rails, is it? :)

If it's a relatively minor amount of DC offset, it's also possible that it's a problem in the small signal stages, such as a problem with the differential amplifier or feedback circuit.

Well, it's rail now :) I was 2-3V. I set it down at the time as I was selling the house and pulled the bench out, it is still sitting. I really should pull it back out, I just have no use for it at the time.

Chad

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
dodgerblue said:
my wife runs a no-prof dog rescue here in az. and loves rotties ,hope you dont mind i sent her your pick of your beau rottie,we are fostering two 8wk old rottie pups now -little monsters!!
No problem, send away, I have some better ones too. He (Jax) is a rescue also. Actually a rescue of a rescue. He was rescued as a pup by some friends of my Ex. They kept him in a cage for around 20 Hrs a day for the first year of his life. I felt bad for him so I started picking him up for Saturday walks and errand running. I ended up sitting for them for a couple weekends and after the third time he never went back.

At one year old he was only 60Lbs, skittish, and his muscles were not developed. After diet and exercise he gained muscle quick. I also spent HUNDREDS of hours training him, even to the point of partial sign language. I ended up taking him on the road with me and he was used as a working dog, I had a harness made and he pulled multicore and feeder cable like it was nobody's business. He loves to work. I was going to register him as a service dog so that he could fly passenger class for free and go into certain places but I retired from the road.

He's 6 now, almost like a human and NEVER forgets. Although protective of the family and property once he knows you, you are cool and will protect you!

His retirement job consists of making sure the dog bed in the shop does not levitate, along with observing the back deck plank alignment. He also makes sure that no grass grows within 1 1/2 feet of the fence. He has it made, a dog door from the heated/AC shop leads to an acre of free space for him and his compadre to roam. I could only be so lucky :)

They are GREAT dogs and I will have another, they will test you but just be patient.

Chad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts