DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've got two boxes I'm making from Fiberglass and I'm getting ready to do the speaker rings here in a few days. I think I have them sorted and have designs ready for the 3/4" MDF. Since I have rather long boxes(roughly 30") I was going to mount my amps to the box as well. I also know that after I stretch the jersey cloth for the top part of the box it won't be flat for mounting amps so here's what I was planning.

To keep it short a square of MDF cut out in the shape of my amps with dowel rods under it for support and then simply treating it the same way as the speaker rings.

In the end I will only be running two amps I believe. One q275.1 and one q175.2. I have a 4runner so I'll have to run my old Pioneer Premier for the rear doors until I can find a q75.4 somewhere and perhaps make a trade for my q175.2.

Oh and one quick question about airspace. I know that it's almost impossible to calculate volume of a glass box before it's built so when it comes to subs what's a good threshold to go by if the box is too big? The subs will work in as little as .75 cu ft but I think the boxes are going to turn out around 1-1.25. Hopefully they aren't any bigger than that. The speakers in question is a pair of Alumapro Alchemy 10" subs. Each in their own enclosure.

Right now they're a little rough but here's a pic so you can visualize what I'm dealing with.

The boxes are not going to be the same depth at the rear. It is going to taper so that they are flush with the rear tailgate.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
there are lots of ways to do this but personally i have found making a frame to flush mount the amps to be the easiest. i scrapped the idea of this for my amps but i still did it for the ms-8. it is the one pictured in the center. pics are better than words so you can see how i made the corner enclosure for it.

access panels cut out of the rear for the cables

as for the airspace, it's always better to have more than less when building. once completed use packing peanuts (or anything similar) to determine the volume then add something (2x4 pieces, spray foam, etc) to reduce the volume to get where you need to be.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hadn't thought about spray foam and the flush mount is beautiful. I am definetly going to do that. It will fit in perfectly and probably reduce my airspace to what I need. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
no problem. be sure to round over the edges too to a better final product.

here is an enclosure i did for another car. i built the frame to fit the area then went back and filled in the space i didn't need with foam.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That box looks sweet! I see how you were using the foam to fill in as well. I also devised a way to keep the fiberglass box sealed while having a cable tunnel for the flush mount. It'll take some work but I will post up some pictures of what I did. Thanks again for the tips.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I use PVC pipe to run cables in/out of enclosures. Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a pic of how it ended up. Still gotta get the outer side done but the pvc is perfect....and easy to do. Crappy pic though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts