DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I’m in the market for a new sub amp for my 2 alpine S-W10D2’s. I’m running them at 2ohm currently on a taramps bass 800 2ohm amp. Problem is I don’t think this specific taramps amp is actually putting out what it’s rated for. If I don’t use sound retriever, loudness setting and turn up the sub level output on my hu it doesn’t hit hardly at all. Before anyone ask if it’s tuned, yes it’s tuned and I normally wouldn’t use any of those settings on my hu. I don’t need to use those settings because I’m also running a 4 channel amp for my tweeters and doors. I’ve been running this amp for over a year and when I first installed it, it just didn’t sound like it had the power output it’s rated for.

I’m looking for a d class mono block somewhere between 800-1000 rms at 2 ohm. Something that will run cool as well because it’s on the back wall in my truck. I’m leaning towards the kenwood 9106d, but I’ve also heard good things about hifonics. I’d like to be around $250. I’ve also thought about Skar but heard they run hot and a lot of people are saying they are not great. I’ve had good luck with kenwood in the past but they run hot. But my last kenwood was a a/b class not a d. Anyone use ct sounds? Thanks for the input everyone.

Forgot to add my sub specs. The subs are 600 rms a piece. I’m running these subs because of their low sealed air space requirements and shallower mounting depth. They are in a .60 per chamber sealed box. I know when you add in woofer displacement the box may be on the small side but that’s all I have to work with.

· Premium Member
7,703 Posts
  • Do you have a volt meter?
  • Do you have a way to measure SPL?

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a multi meter and no way to measure spl. Before I ran 2 of the alpine subs I ran 1 at a four ohm load which according to the amp at 4ohms would put out 560 watts. There is no way this amp was putting out that with the one sub. I have not yet measured voltage drop but I don’t think it’s dropping that bad to cause the amp to not put out the 800 watts. However I’ve read those amps are power hungry. My alternator on my truck is a 145 amp and both amps shouldn’t draw over 53.5 amps and that’s at maximum volume. I do realize that whatever else is running will be drawing too, but I have no issues with flickering lights or anything. Also using all 4 gauge ofc wiring.

I have came across a couple of reviews on this same amp on the internet. The people were complaining about the same issues I am. That being no way this amp puts out 800 watts.

· Registered
611 Posts
Audiocontrol LC-1.800

You can score one for ~ $400 new if you look around.

Or try to find a used LC-1.1500 here on DIYMA. Folks here seem to be biased against Audiocontrol, so they sell for peanuts.

Just DON'T bid one one from the eBay scammer(s) in Singapore...People literally believe someone will send them a $600 retail amp for $130...Those people are rubes.

· Premium Member
3,531 Posts

Great build quality and will run cool all day long while doing rated power.

The Kenwood option you mentioned is a nice budget that will do close to its rated power but the build quality leaves a little to be desired. Skar amps are average. They will do rated power but will pull some serious current while doing so, not the most efficient. Audiocontrol is another great option if you can find one in your budget.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The other one I was considering was the pioneer gm9701. That euphoria looks like a nice amp as well. Priced right for sure. That’s going to be on my list as well now. But I’ve never heard of them. I have heard of db drive though and they seem to be the ones that make that amp I’m guessing.

· Registered
611 Posts
ANS is being nice. The Kenwood is junk compared to the Euphoria.

Also, ANS is a great person to deal with, and an active contributor here, whereas, Kenwood is a mega corporation who sells garbage at Best Buy.

No further comment on the Pioneer, except see above comment on Kenwood...

I'd go with the Euphoria over either of the other two, and it's probably as good or better than the Audiocontrol, and less $.

-o.c.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Does anyone know how many amps the euphoria draws? I seen they also have a 1500w monoblock but only puts out 750w at 2ohm.

I would like to try and stay away from an alternator upgrade right now, that’s why I’m wondering how many amps it draws. Would I be ok with 4ga ofc for power wire with the euphoria? It’s got to be on the verge of needing bigger power wire to me.

· Registered
2006 Toyota Camry LE 2.4L - Seeing how good I can make cheap components sound.
599 Posts
You mentioned kenwood amps. Stay away from the very tiny ones. They overheat and cut out. I had one fall into my lap and when running it I had a fan on it and it still overheats.

· Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Does anyone know how many amps the euphoria draws? I seen they also have a 1500w monoblock but only puts out 750w at 2ohm.

I would like to try and stay away from an alternator upgrade right now, that’s why I’m wondering how many amps it draws. Would I be ok with 4ga ofc for power wire with the euphoria? It’s got to be on the verge of needing bigger power wire to me.
On a sine wave test tone probably about 100-110 amps. But on music probably 40-60 amps max. 4 Gauge 100% copper is fine for it.

Reactions: waldojeffershead

· Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I have a multi meter and no way to measure spl.
Not even a free iPhone app?

I have a multi meter and no way to measure spl. Before I ran 2 of the alpine subs I ran 1 at a four ohm load which according to the amp at 4ohms would put out 560 watts. There is no way this amp was putting out that with the one sub. I have not yet measured voltage drop but I don’t think it’s dropping that bad to cause the amp to not put out the 800 watts.….
I would suggest that you:
  • make sure the impedance of the sub measures correct
  • the subs are wired properly
  • check the voltage at the sub using test tones

... However I’ve read those amps are power hungry. My alternator on my truck is a 145 amp and both amps shouldn’t draw over 53.5 amps and that’s at maximum volume. I do realize that whatever else is running will be drawing too, but I have no issues with flickering lights or anything. Also using all 4 gauge ofc wiring.

I have came across a couple of reviews on this same amp on the internet. The people were complaining about the same issues I am. That being no way this amp puts out 800 watts.
I would suggest fixing your current problem, before changing anything.

· Super Moderator
2,615 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts

Great build quality and will run cool all day long while doing rated power.

The Kenwood option you mentioned is a nice budget that will do close to its rated power but the build quality leaves a little to be desired. Skar amps are average. They will do rated power but will pull some serious current while doing so, not the most efficient. Audiocontrol is another great option if you can find one in your budget.
Those look very interesting. Any place to get the M1500? Seems hard to find these, or more info on them.

· Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Those look very interesting. Any place to get the M1500? Seems hard to find these, or more info on them.
That is the last Euphoria product I have. I haven't done much with them recently. The M1500 has been discontinued. Any reason you aren't interested in the m2250?

· Premium Member
3,531 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
This is the closest model I found they currently make: MX1200.1 - Euphoria
Thanks, that looks perfect! Except double the price I was hoping lol.

I have almost no knowledge of these Amps, and I could get an alpine a-s60m with similar specs for half that.

What’s special about the Euphoria? You mentioned it stays cool, I like that. Alot of cheaper amps seem to overheat, or so I’ve read.

· Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Thanks, that looks perfect! Except double the price I was hoping lol.

I have almost no knowledge of these Amps, and I could get an alpine a-s60m with similar specs for half that.

What’s special about the Euphoria? You mentioned it stays cool, I like that. Alot of cheaper amps seem to overheat, or so I’ve read.
The build quality is impressive given the price point. Why not purchase the m2250 and be conservative with your gain? Then you will have a better amp and power in the future when needed if you ever have a different setup.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ended up going with the euphoria. I think it will fit the bill and it sounds like from whatcha all were saying that it’s a good amp.

I did do a spl test on my phone with my current amp taramps 800 2ohm. 104 was the highest reading I got. That’s gain on the amp just over half, with every setting off on the radio off except sound retriever, which was on when the amp was tuned, lc1 turned all the way up, and sub level on the hu on 10. The amp was tuned with it at sub level 4, but at 4 I was only getting about 90db. I also did check if I was getting a voltage drop at the amp too. Lowest drop was 13.99. So honestly to me like I have thought before this amp just doesn’t put out what it says.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.