DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speakers I ordered are coming in and I feel like I might NEED an amp. I have an '05 MINI Cooper. I already have an aftermarket stereo.

Stereo:
Kenwood KDC-BT648U

Speakers:
Polk Audio DXi6500 components for the front
Infinity Kappa 692.9i 6x9's for the back

Please let me know if I need an amp. They're super expensive

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
depends on how much sound quality you want and how loud you want it to go. if moderate volume and SQ are good enough. use HU power. if you like to crank it. gonna need an amplifier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do I use HU power? Do I just take out the speakers and put the new ones in?

I'll be adding an amp later, I was just hoping I didn't need it now.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
if you have the HU speaker wires connected to the speakers, then you are using it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I do. I don't really know for sure though. Are they the red and white ones that you see in the back of a T/V? Or are they the thin purple/white/ whatever color wires that say "left speaker" "right speaker rear" and all that?

Say I would be getting an amp, what would I need?

The Polk Dxi power range = 10 - 100 watts RMS (300 watts peak power)
The Infinity Kappa power range = 2 - 110 RMS (330 watts peak power)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
its the thin purple/white etc wires. the red and white ones(like the back of the TV) is for connecting amplifiers.

depends on how much you want to spend. you can get a simple 50W x 4 and it will still be miles better than HU power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, without talking about money (but don't get too crazy on price) what would be a good amp?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
lol, sorry. you can get cheaper amplifiers that only cost $100. but they are not worth the metal they are made from IMHO. you can certainly spend alot more for a 50w x 4, that is just middle of the road.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
well for pure specs aviod any amplifier that rates itself with "max wattage", "peak wattage", "max RMS wattage" those are meaningless terms.

the amplifiers ability to produce "RMS wattage" into 12 or 14.4 volts what you want to look at. also look at "THD" should be less than .1% for the most part.

also if it has a biult in crossover, including a sub-sonic filter is desirable. in the end, if you have a question about an amplifier, do a search on here. most people have asked about most brands here at one time or another, lol.

my own rule of thumb is $0.50 to $1 per watt

MC4.50 MEMPHIS NEW AMP 4 CH CLASS AB SPEAKERS AMPLIFIER | eBay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts