Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Current setup is as follows...

2003 350z
Pioneer GM-6500f Amp
Pioneer AVIC-Z130bt

Front speakers -
Mounted in door ( at bottom near feet ) - dxi650 polk's ( 60W RMS)
dxi1000's in a-pillar - tweeters - ( 60W RMS )

Rear Speakers -
El Cheepo Pioneer 4 way 6.5's. 60W RMS each

Amp Specs -
•60 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (85 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
•180 watts RMS x 2 in bridged mode (4-ohm stable in bridged mode

The dxi1000's are still sitting here in a box. If I am reading correctly, hooking the 1000's up in parallel, it would then change to 2 ohms from the speakers native 4? So would I then be getting 85x2 for the front at 2 ohms and 60x2 in the rear at 4 ohms? Or would i still only be driving 60w to each front , and I'm assuming it would then split it evently at 30w rms per speaker? If the latter is correct, could I also assume that the speakers would be horribly underpowered and sould like crap? Time for a new amp?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
you have a mid in the door and a tweeter per side correct? I assume the tweeter has some sort of passive crossover on it? that will keep the impedance at a nominal 4ohms.

so you will have 60W x 4.

as for how it will sound, that is all up to how far you turn the volume knob ;) 60w is plenty to get decently loud. I will say, I can almost guarentee you that those pioneer 6.5" 4-way, will not take 60watts. they overrate thier speakers like crazy. prolly take 30 watts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea the tweeter has the passive crossover on it. So that will keep it at 4. Then does the 60w get split between the 2 on the same side? ( ie.. 30 to the 650 30 to the tweeter).

Oh and it's plenty loud, but .. Never enough. it's a 2 seater, doesn't take alot in that small compartment ;)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Yea the tweeter has the passive crossover on it. So that will keep it at 4. Then does the 60w get split between the 2 on the same side? ( ie.. 30 to the 650 30 to the tweeter).

Oh and it's plenty loud, but .. Never enough. it's a 2 seater, doesn't take alot in that small compartment ;)
nope, that is the beauty of crossovers. both will see 60watts since they are not playing the same frequency range (theoretically, real results will vary a bit)

if you want more power, then chuck the rear 4-ways since you dont need em and bridge the amp for the front stage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I do that, that puts 180 each side. Won't that hurt the speakers, or will they only draw what they need regardless of how much the amp can deliver RMS?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
How loud they get is fully dependent on your position of the volume knob ;) the farther you turn it, the more voltage the amplifier puts out and thus more current the speakers draw. (or how much power they will dissipate)

set up the amp correctly and you shouldnt have a problem, just be aware that you have alot of power on tap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts