·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm noobin along with my '96 accord.. so far this is what I have:

HU: Alpine CDA-121

Front: Alpine SPS-600C 80w RMS
1" Tweeters

Rear Deck: Alpine SPS-69C3 50w RMS (inherited from brother)

Amplifier: Alpine Power Pack 45w x 4 RMS

SO... I just ordered a Fi IB3 15" sub that I'm going to install in an IB config. (Excited as hell and hope I don't F*** up the install). And in the next week I'm going to buy an Alpine MRX-M50 for the sub. My question has to do with my brother's subs that he said I could have. They are 2 JL 10w0-4 ported run by an Alpine MRV T420 (110 x 2 @ 4ohm). So my question is, is there anything I can do with that amp? Should I amp the rear speakers (Or will I blow them to bits)? If I do, should I try and somehow bridge the power pack for the fronts? Do I need to break the wallet a bit more and upgrade the rears? I like my music loud, yet SQ is reeeally important for me. Not looking for the parkin-lot-pimpin. Just trying to maximize everything I have!! Thanks for any and all help for this here youngster:rolleyes:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I recommend using your brother's two channel amplifier to power your front speakers over the power pak as it will give you alot more headroom for your front speakers and should make them sound better than the power pak as it is a traditional AB class amplfier and even better suited for full range than what you are using.

The thing to be careful about is setting the gain with the two channel amp as it has enough power to cook you voice coils. Look up "setting gains" on the search function as there are TONS of discussions here on the topic and try not to get too overwhealmed. The most basic is that you should play the fronts a little louder than the rears and you should be fine.

Also research sound deadening. There are several different ways people accomplish deadening their doors but a sealed and deadened door will allow you speakers to produce cleaner sound and better midbass. Just understand you don't have to make your door look like it is covered in tin foil to get sound deadening like the dynamat ads show.

·
Registered
11,999 Posts
I would just disconnect the rear speakers entirely. get your front stage sounding good and you wont miss them.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I would just disconnect the rear speakers entirely. get your front stage sounding good and you wont miss them.

This... or run the rears from the HU and call it a day....

BTW I used to live in N. Ton.. spent many a day in Lockport.. I miss it..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you all for the replies!

Minbari, I've read that lots of people do this to further separate trunk from cabin in IB setups. When I get the Fi installed, if I remove the 6x9s and amp the front stage, will it sound as loud since they're not the best 6-1/2 speakers/tweeters out there? Will I lose my midbass (100Hz-400Hz I think??)

Aaron, so you're saying to either remove the rear speakers or just leave them as is? And nice! My girlfriend lives out that way, I'm always over there... Just hate the police, always getting damn tickets! :cwm23:

Jericho, I've read people doing this as well. My concerns being, will I lose my midbass and loudness?? And I plan on investing in deadening soon, but dang! that stuff's not cheap

Sorry for the essay, thanks for the patience, if you made it this far lol. :laugh:

·
Registered
105 Posts
aswered in quote

Thanks you all for the replies!

Minbari, I've read that lots of people do this to further separate trunk from cabin in IB setups. When I get the Fi installed, if I remove the 6x9s and amp the front stage, will it sound as loud since they're not the best 6-1/2 speakers/tweeters out there? Will I lose my midbass (100Hz-400Hz I think??)

Aaron, so you're saying to either remove the rear speakers or just leave them as is? And nice! My girlfriend lives out that way, I'm always over there... Just hate the police, always getting damn tickets! :cwm23:

Jericho, I've read people doing this as well. My concerns being, will I lose my midbass and loudness?? And I plan on investing in deadening soon, but dang! that stuff's not cheap

You should not lose any midbass and loudness running your front speakers only off of the two channel amp. You should get better midbass and loudness from running the component set with plenty of power. Deadening is not cheap, but also not as expensive as you might think. I can buy enough to CLD tiles to do an entire car from raamat or amazon for about $100.

Sorry for the essay, thanks for the patience, if you made it this far lol. :laugh:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, I'm goin to go ahead and install that amp and see how it goes!! Thanks for the help Jericho.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts