DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i cant seem to figure out why my 1040 A/B amp is running so hot. comes close to burning my hand. im not running a lot of wattage. not very complicated stereo system. any help??

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
What awg wire are you running to it? Are all of the connections at the amp snug? Is your ground good, clean, and well secured? What impedance are you running the speakers at?

·
Registered
2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
270 Posts
Where is the amplifier installed in your vehicle? Gauge wire? Actual heat sink temp? Pics might help. I would prioritize the recommendations from gijoe.
My A/B amp inside of an enclosure runs around 115 degrees and above without any cooling measures. Once active cooling is triggered it drops to 100ish but this is at 4 ohms over the midbass region. Which is a fairly easy load on the amp.
If everything is solid with your install you could run an inexpensive thermostatically controlled fan. I’ve been running A/B amps for many years and haven’t needed fans unless there was extenuating circumstances.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm also trying to figure out this issue with my zapco st 4xsq that goes into shut off mode and it comes on automatically after about 10 minutes of cooling down i guess? I need to start measuring actual heat sink temperatures and write them down. Any thermo controlled fan kits recommendations would help the op and my self , thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What awg wire are you running to it? Are all of the connections at the amp snug? Is your ground good, clean, and well secured? What impedance are you running the speakers at?
4awg to a 2 way distribution block 90 amp fuse to 8awg to 1080 ab 4 channel amp turned to 2 channel feeding 2 6.5s and 1 inch component speaker set all is snug. list of all components in profile. nothing fancy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where is the amplifier installed in your vehicle? Gauge wire? Actual heat sink temp? Pics might help. I would prioritize the recommendations from gijoe.
My A/B amp inside of an enclosure runs around 115 degrees and above without any cooling measures. Once active cooling is triggered it drops to 100ish but this is at 4 ohms over the midbass region. Which is a fairly easy load on the amp.
If everything is solid with your install you could run an inexpensive thermostatically controlled fan. I’ve been running A/B amps for many years and haven’t needed fans unless there was extenuating circumstances.
behind passenger seat mounted to back side of actuve sub enclosure. heat sink temp????. have 4awg to distribution block to 90w fuse to 8awg wire to 4 channel 1040 ab amp set to 2 channel and feeding 6.5 and 1 inch component set. 4 awg is ran off of distribution/battery terminals. list of all components in profile. fused and relayed on its on circuit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pics posted

·
Registered
2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
270 Posts
I don’t see anything glaringly wrong with the install. The ground wire length is longer than I prefer but shouldn’t create issues. Have you upgraded the ground wiring and alternator feed wire under the hood(big 3)? Since you’re running a 4 ohm bridged load the amplifier is outputting it max. It’s a possibility that this amp runs hot when used in this configuration.
How is the highs box next to the sub being powered?
You could temp wire each crossover to one channel to see how hot it runs at half the wattage.

·
Registered
2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
270 Posts
I'm also trying to figure out this issue with my zapco st 4xsq that goes into shut off mode and it comes on automatically after about 10 minutes of cooling down i guess? I need to start measuring actual heat sink temperatures and write them down. Any thermo controlled fan kits recommendations would help the op and my self , thanks in advance guys!
12VDC Fan Controller this one is rather small and cheap but not many of the options offer fahrenheit so I chose this. Has worked well for a year running 20 watts of fans. Searching on eBay or Amazon will net tons of options.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I’m not entirely sure that’s a good ground. The bracket you’re bolted to is sitting on top of what looks like a rubber or plastic floor covering. It may be a good enough ground to turn on the amp but I’m willing to bet there’s enough resistance there to cause a heat issue with the amp. I can’t say for sure without measuring it or seeing it in person but that’s not where I’d secure my ground… I’d go directly to the body/chassis.

·
Registered
495 Posts
In addition to TheTodd's suggestion, did you upsize the ground wire connected to the battery? The proper way is to run a ground wire from the body near your amp ground to the frame, and then from the frame to the engine block, but most people don't.

I don't believe this is will completely fix your issue, but if you rotate the amp 90° so that the fins along the sides are running vertical, it will cool better...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don’t see anything glaringly wrong with the install. The ground wire length is longer than I prefer but shouldn’t create issues. Have you upgraded the ground wiring and alternator feed wire under the hood(big 3)? Since you’re running a 4 ohm bridged load the amplifier is outputting it max. It’s a possibility that this amp runs hot when used in this configuration.
How is the highs box next to the sub being powered?
You could temp wire each crossover to one channel to see how hot it runs at half the wattage.
have done nothing to the alternator. was convinced i wasnt running enough power for any other upgrade on electrical side. i only have the 4awg power supply and a 4awg return ground from a lug under hood. tweet box: only running the 6.5 and the 1. the horn isnt used. didnt want a hole. cheap Spondex box from Autozone, tossed those speakers. those are coming from the 1040 amp. this is the first audio system ive ever done. over a year. i pieced this together. very loud. enough bass. just amp gets so hot it makes me nervous. thanks. i will try that with the speakers. add direct feed from alternator to battery as well. was thinking of doing that already.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
crazy how hard it is to get help with car audio. didnt wanna go expensive my first go around. and didnt wanna cut any corners either.....i like using the same company start to finish.

·
Registered
2010 HHR
1,573 Posts
Recoil? How efficient is the amp?

Grab a 120mm, 140mm or 200mm pc case fan and mount it on the amp

If that's not possible, buy a $20 crossflow fan (this is about the cheapest they are right now) and mount so it hits the side fins (where mosfet's are mounted)

Unfortunately, paying $40 for fans shouldn't be a requirement. I have 3 amps (sig + d4s jp234) mounted in a false floor with 0 fans and none of them turn off even when at 58/62 volume in 100°F weather.

I've only seen recoil brand show up recently. Sounds like a brand issue to me.

·
Registered
204 Posts
^^ Not to thread jack but my overheating amp issue is much worse than the op’s , my zapco st4x sq shuts off for about 10 minutes when jamming loud and hard for about 30 minutes in a row at volume 56/62 on the pioneer 80prs , all gains set wit the smd dd1. I purchased a couple of cooling fans just need thermo switch controller . I believe it is something that a lot of 4 channel class ab amps suffer from not just recoil or zapco.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Those amps have a reputation for running hot.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts