DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at the buying phase of my new build and I don't have any experience with DSPs or higher end amps. Factory HU (2021 Accord w/o factory amp). Fronts will be 2 way active, probably Hertz Mille Pro. Sub will be something along the lines of 1 or 2 ID Maxx or Dayton HOs ported in the trunk.

My question is this:

Expand the budget to buy an AudioControl D5.1300 for about $1,000 or go with my original plan of a Dayton DSP-408 into a 5 channel or 4 channel + mono sub amp? Or something else? My amp experience is limited to cheaper stuff like Rockville (which I love for the $), old school small Kicker, RF, MTX, etc.

I like the all-in-one solution and power of the D5.1300 and don't mind spending the extra cash if it's worth it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If I were going into an amp/dsp combo I'd look into JL or Helix. I have a stand alone helix dsp and I think it's amazing. If you can get an all in one helix that fits your needs I wouldn't hesitate. You could go with a stand alone dsp and amps as well. Research your car and whether it needs input eq/processing to get a clean signal. If it does go helix imo.

Reactions: bbfoto

·
Registered
07 Accord GS9-Arc Audio dsp-Audison Voce 5.1K+Due-HAT Legatia SE 3 way + Clarus 15 in IB
90 Posts
Consolidated components simplify the installation and reduce needed accessory parts/connections. There are a ton of amp/dsp components to choose, but I'd advise sticking to the brands most here trust. Something you might consider is whether 5 channels is all you'll need/want. I started with a 2-way + sub but soon wanted to go 3-way and had to buy a different dsp with more channels. Pretty hard to beat the Helix V8 dsp for versatility, quality, software use and chassis size...

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
The Helix M Four DSP amp would be worth considering. 4 channel amp with 10 channels of DSP. No idea on price but I would guess around $750, you need to contact a dealer. ****s on the AC stuff for sure.
You could also look at the P Six which can put out 2x 250watt @ 2ohms for the sub.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I have heard a few really like the Sony dsp amps. I think a few on the forum have tried them and gave good reviews especially from an sq perspective

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To answer the last few:

No chance on wanting more down the road. I'm past that stage in life.

Will check on the other mentioned items including the Sony.

After some more shopping, what do we think of the Memphis VIVBelle 5 channel DSP amp? I can't find many opinions or info about their DSP features. $400 less has me interested.

·
Registered
07 Accord GS9-Arc Audio dsp-Audison Voce 5.1K+Due-HAT Legatia SE 3 way + Clarus 15 in IB
90 Posts
Buy used if value is your true goal. Hell, I saw an Audison Voce 5.1K for $600 in the classified section. Buy a 5 ch dsp and you'll have a much better system than others mentioned

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'll be putting these up in the next couple days. 5 channels. More power. EZ dsp. 5-6 hours of use. $1000, shipped.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm at the buying phase of my new build and I don't have any experience with DSPs or higher end amps. Factory HU (2021 Accord w/o factory amp). Fronts will be 2 way active, probably Hertz Mille Pro. Sub will be something along the lines of 1 or 2 ID Maxx or Dayton HOs ported in the trunk.

My question is this:

Expand the budget to buy an AudioControl D5.1300 for about $1,000 or go with my original plan of a Dayton DSP-408 into a 5 channel or 4 channel + mono sub amp? Or something else? My amp experience is limited to cheaper stuff like Rockville (which I love for the $), old school small Kicker, RF, MTX, etc.

I like the all-in-one solution and power of the D5.1300 and don't mind spending the extra cash if it's worth it. Thanks in advance.
Why not just have one device for everything? An Audison AP F8.9 bit could run 4 channels at 85W and you could bridge the other 4 channels and have 260x2 for a sub. If you decide later you want to add a dedicated sub amp, the AP F has a preout. With 8 channels that are fully bridgeable, it is a very versatile piece and you can pick one up for about $850. I absolutely love mine!

Helix also makes some nice combos, but I’m not as familiar with the specs.

Reactions: MythosDreamLab

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
****s on the AC stuff for sure.
Can you please explain why for my intended use? I can't quite figure out what, that I care about, sets it apart. I do see a few mentions that AC's DSP is lacking but in what way? I've got the D-5.1300 down to about $900, new with warranty from an authorized dealer.

That Helix stuff looks great but the price gets up there pretty quick to get what I want. Also seems to offer much more capability than I'll ever use.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
AC is 30 bands of 1/3rd octave EQ. I'd rather take a handful of PEQ bands personally. You're call, but something to look into and consider.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Can you please explain why for my intended use? I can't quite figure out what, that I care about, sets it apart. I do see a few mentions that AC's DSP is lacking but in what way? I've got the D-5.1300 down to about $900, new with warranty from an authorized dealer.

That Helix stuff looks great but the price gets up there pretty quick to get what I want. Also seems to offer much more capability than I'll ever use.
Audiocontrols dsp software might just be the worst.
It's extremely buggy. The noise floor on paper means it should be silent as the night. But I've installed a few and used a couple of locs in my own cars.
They have noise. At best just a high noise floor with hiss in the background of paused tracks or quite passages in songs.
That warranty is only a standard 1 year warranty unless you buy from and have installed by an audiocontrol dealer. There is also a reason you see them up for sale. A lot. If you see high end stuff being sold off by multiple people I tend to stay clear of it.
After all if it was so great people would holding on to them. Like the ms8 guys. They buy them as soon as they pop up just to have. Then there they sit. Not up for sale ever again.
Usually when something is really good people tend to hang on to it. Not sell it off.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I also have an Audison AP Forza 8.9bit and it runs my entire system in my truck...JL C1 comps up front (active) and then I have 2 bridged channels (240 watts each) to each of my 10" JL W0s under the rear seat. I would like to try a Helix DSP/amp combo but the Audison has served me well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Audiocontrols dsp software might just be the worst.
It's extremely buggy. The noise floor on paper means it should be silent as the night. But I've installed a few and used a couple of locs in my own cars.
They have noise. At best just a high noise floor with hiss in the background of paused tracks or quite passages in songs.
That warranty is only a standard 1 year warranty unless you buy from and have installed by an audiocontrol dealer. There is also a reason you see them up for sale. A lot. If you see high end stuff being sold off by multiple people I tend to stay clear of it.
After all if it was so great people would holding on to them. Like the ms8 guys. They buy them as soon as they pop up just to have. Then there they sit. Not up for sale ever again.
Usually when something is really good people tend to hang on to it. Not sell it off.
I appreciate that insight. I see lots of respectable people touting the AC stuff but there's always comments that make me wonder. That's a lot of money for a product with those kind of issues considering the competition.

I also have an Audison AP Forza 8.9bit and it runs my entire system in my truck...JL C1 comps up front (active) and then I have 2 bridged channels (240 watts each) to each of my 10" JL W0s under the rear seat. I would like to try a Helix DSP/amp combo but the Audison has served me well.
I'm still reading into the Audison stuff. Without any real logic behind it they just seem like I'd want more power. I know it wouldn't lack power in real world use but it's stuck in my head for some reason.

Meanwhile, I did download the Dayton DSP software last night to mess with. It's pretty intuitive to me and seems like it does everything I need. Which I guess leads to my real underlying question...

How much DSP do I need? I only need 2 channels of input from the factory HU to split to active fronts and a sub. I want time alignment and EQ, parametric preferred. I know the factory signal rolls off the low end pretty bad. Will any standard DSP be enough to correct that or do I need something with special bass restoration built-in or an Epicenter, etc?

·
Registered
447 Posts
You can't compare helix dsp software with audiocontrol, not even with audison! (not mentioning the dayton...)
If you can afford it, the V Eight is the way to go, no other options in my opinion!
The only problem, if you don't need all these channels, they are not bridgeable.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will try the helix software tonight.

the factory signal rolls off the low end pretty bad. Will any standard DSP be enough to correct that or do I need something with special bass restoration built-in or an Epicenter, etc?
I need this answered before I can feel confident about any dsp decision.

Reactions: Esscueonly

·
Registered
512 Posts
It really comes down to how much processing power you want. They all do time alignment and set your crossover points. I can set up an Audiocontrol in an hour and have it sounding pretty good. JL is super easy also. The only reason I moved away from the Audiocontrol is the amps did not have the power of the JL HD's I was running before. So, I moved up to a Helix thinking that would be the final journey. The Helix is way harder to set up, especially if you run a director. The tuning is much more finite, but it comes with a steep learning curve. Mosconi is not going to be easy either. Download each software and get familiar with the processors on your list.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just went through the marketplace ads and you could get a killer combo for not much more than that AC you were considering. Several Helix dsp.3's for sale around $500, an M4 dsp for $700, a gorgeous Audison Lrx5.1k for $650. I understand the hesitancy of buying used but if the seller has good ratings you can get a lot more for your money

1 - 20 of 35 Posts