DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,269 Posts
I'd like to second the Audison AP F8.9, 8 total channels = 85w @ 4ohms (or 130w @ 2 ohms).

You could use 4 channels to power your Front four speakers (85w will be plenty enough).

Then Bridge 2 channels together (Helix cannot bridge channels together) for a (270w) to power a cub like the Mille Pro Sub (link):

Then with the last two channels: you can either Bridge them together and add another Sub...OR

Use them to power your rear speakers either Coaxials:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'd like to second the Audison AP F8.9, 8 total channels = 85w @ 4ohms (or 130w @ 2 ohms).

You could use 4 channels to power your Front four speakers (85w will be plenty enough).

Then Bridge 2 channels together (Helix cannot bridge channels together) for a (270w) to power a cub like the Mille Pro Sub (link):

Then with the last two channels: you can either Bridge them together and add another Sub...OR

Use them to power your rear speakers either Coaxials:
I’ve had a chance to use the Audison software and I found it pretty easy to use. I was able to get my system setup and sounding nice with very little time and effort. I plan to have a friend help me do a full tune and really fine tune it, but you can do pretty well on your own.

I bought my APF in excellent condition with a DRC MP controller for $850 here on DIYMA.

Reactions: MythosDreamLab

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That Audison looks nice but I want more to the subs. and only running 2 way active fronts seems like not the best match.

I had the Dayton 408 and 2 US acoustics amps in my cart at PE last night but I hesitated.

Switching gears again... I'm about to pull the trigger on a NIB Helix M FOUR DSP and get a dedicated sub amp. My understanding is the Helix can also control a sub out channel. This is happening in the next couple hours unless someone stops me.

Reactions: Esscueonly

·
Registered
07 Accord GS9-Arc Audio dsp-Audison Voce 5.1K+Due-HAT Legatia SE 3 way + Clarus 15 in IB
90 Posts
That Audison looks nice but I want more to the subs. and only running 2 way active fronts seems like not the best match.

I had the Dayton 408 and 2 US acoustics amps in my cart at PE last night but I hesitated.

Switching gears again... I'm about to pull the trigger on a NIB Helix M FOUR DSP and get a dedicated sub amp. My understanding is the Helix can also control a sub out channel. This is happening in the next couple hours unless someone stops me.
Do it. M1 or M1X would be a nice match. D4S makes a strong monoblock for cheap.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts

It has 4 internal channels and 6 outputs. Also has digital inputs to bypass factory system if you find integration unsatisfying.

Also buy from a dealer, not online.. there are some on the forum

·
Registered
4,413 Posts

You'd definitely be happy with the Helix M FOUR DSP and an inexpensive class D subwoofer amp that meets your power requirements. I wouldn't ever feel the need to upgrade from the M FOUR DSP, unless you wanted to go UBER high end at some point, and it gives you PLENTY of options and system flexibility and expandability down the road. Solid and Awesome piece of kit!

But you could do the same with that Audison with a separate sub amp as well. They are both great options. And there's this...but note that it is the standard Prima version (AP 8.9 bit) not the "F" Forza (AP F8.9 bit) which has more than double the amplifier output...85w x 8 @ 4 ohms vs 35w x 8 @ 4 ohms. But right now you're just planning to run a 2-way front stage so you could bridge the 35w channels for more power...

If I had the budget and choice I would go with the Helix, but either would accomplish your goals when combined with a separate subwoofer amp that is matched to your chosen subwoofer(s).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well that's settled. I totally blew the budget but in a way I can feel good about. I pick up my M FOUR DSP and G ONE in about a week, I have to travel a bit. Now, subs..... I think there's enough information already around here for me to figure that one out but I'm sure I'll have questions.

Thank you all so far!

·
Registered
07 Accord GS9-Arc Audio dsp-Audison Voce 5.1K+Due-HAT Legatia SE 3 way + Clarus 15 in IB
90 Posts
Get 2 Stereo Integrity SQL 12 d4 and you're good. There is a definite reason they are always sold out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Get 2 Stereo Integrity SQL 12 d4 and you're good. There is a definite reason they are always sold out.
Well they were definitely on the list but I didn't think I'd be able to get my hands on one. The short list was AF GB12, Dayton HO or Ultimax, Hertz, SI SQL or BM MK(used).

I talked with Nick and it looks like I'll have an SQL-12 D2 on the way soon.

I'm still ordering some more install bits but I'll start a build log soon. I just got the Hertz MPK165.3 this morning & I pick up my amps this weekend.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm currently building the enclosure for my SQL 12 d2 in my Forester. I'm running it on my trusty PPI 1000.1.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Well that's settled. I totally blew the budget but in a way I can feel good about. I pick up my M FOUR DSP and G ONE in about a week, I have to travel a bit. Now, subs..... I think there's enough information already around here for me to figure that one out but I'm sure I'll have questions.

Thank you all so far!
Buy Once, Cry Once! (y) You'll be EXTREMELY happy with that combination if they're setup and tuned properly. And it'll be extremely flexible if you want to make any changes down-the-line.

Since you went all Helix for the DSP & amps, I was going to suggest the Helix Q12W subwoofer as well. They're really great subwoofers, and you can usually get a decent discount on them from the dealer, especially when buying multiple items.

But that SQL-12 should serve you extremely well. I wanted to pull the trigger on at least one during the sale, but I just don't have a use for extra subwoofers at the moment, and am trying to clean off the shelves here instead of add to them. :p #saynotohoarding #hoardersanonymous

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'm currently building the enclosure for my SQL 12 d2 in my Forester. I'm running it on my trusty PPI 1000.1.
Please report your results. Sounds like you'll be running before me. I wanted to run ported but when I called Nick he said he always recommends sealed. I figure I'd be dumb to not try that first.

Reactions: Esscueonly

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Buy Once, Cry Once! (y)
I'm often not very good at that. I'm cheap but at my age I can't be bothered to do stuff twice. I also happen to have the best wife on the planet. She gave the nod to just call this my Christmas present and leave the "daddy needs a new toy" credit card in the safe.

Build log commencing now

·
Registered
90 Posts
Please report your results. Sounds like you'll be running before me. I wanted to run ported but when I called Nick he said he always recommends sealed. I figure I'd be dumb to not try that first.
I'm building it using stack fab and it should be between 1-1.2 cubes. Baffle will be 2 inches thick. It's replacing a fiberglass enclosure that housed a Hybrid Audio Clarus 10D4

21 - 35 of 35 Posts