DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was running elemental design amps for my system with 3 way crossovers and now i desided to switch to active setup

so i will need more channels on amps

plus i always felt that the ed amps tookw ay to much power from my battery and didnt give enough power

so i came across this JL AUDIO A6450 (70x6) and this JL AUDIO G6600 (75 rmsx6)

my question is are these amps good in terms of power delivery and sound quality

the drivers are

es-6 160rms
es-4 40 rms
es-010 50 rms

i was considering getting pdx amps because they seem like they arent really power hungry but i dont want to run 3 amps

thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
The new mythical Soundstream STL6.900 sounds like a beast and I hear it's shipping to outlets as we speak. Could be more bluster though, of course.

·
Registered
195 Posts
^You know, a six channel amp seems like a sweet idea but you still need to buy a second amp to add the sub, if you have a three way setup up front (and assuming you want to add a sub). But since you can just buy two four channel amps and accomplish the exact same thing a six channel amp isn't really that relevant - either way you have to have two amps.

Though, again if you don't want a sub and are just going for the front stage 3-way setup than the single 6 channel amp is good stuff.

EDIT: I'd like to add that I have a PDX4.150 and it's pretty awesome - and if you look around eBay you can get one for a decent price. They are D-Class with really high end filters so they sound good but they're also effect so they don't give off a ton of heat. They are also stack-able so if you buy one PDX4.150 and one PDX4.100 you'll have 7 channels (simply bridge channels 3 and 4 on the PDX4.150) - two 100watt (RMS) channels for the tweaters, two 100watt channels for the mid-range, 2 150watt channels for the mid-bass, and one 300 watt channel for a sub (if you want to do that). As long as you set the cross-over point on the mids and the tweeters you don't have to worry about the fact than they will be getting more power than they are apparently rated for - as everyone around here will tell you.

EDIT2: I just noticed that my drivers are (were/will be) a lot like the OP's. I have the ES-6, I'm going to get an ES-4 when I add that channel later and I had similar CDT tweeters (I had the ES-100 - which I recently changed).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have a 10w7 so i need a little juice

im looking for least amount of amps

does the pdx 4.150 feel like its pulling alot of power?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Oh, I didn't realize you had a huge sub. Yeah, 300 watts certainly isn't going to cut it with a 750 watt sub. Personally, I despise huge booming subs... but that's just me.

The PDX amps don't overdraw power from what I can tell. And I have two amps while never having a problem power wise so that's all I can tell ya.

·
Registered
195 Posts
^You don't need to feed 100watts to a 50watt tweeter, it's just that you can do that without worrying about frying them as long as you properly setup the tweeter's cross-over point. Same goes for those mids.

A lot of people here talk about sending up to around double a speaker's rated power to it to increase head-room. You just have to be careful with the setup. Like, you could have the sub low passed at 64hrz, the mid-bass band passed at 64 to 300hrz, the mids band passed at 300 to 4000hrz and the tweeter high passed at 4000hrz - and try either a 24db slope or an 18db slope. A setup somewhat like that will allow that kind of power going to those components without problems - assuming the gains are also set correctly and you don't crank the living hell out of the volume.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts