• Diamond HX600.4

• Ground Zero GZRA 4HD

• MMATS HiFi-6150D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been eyeing the miniDSP CDSP 8x12 DL for a while, and implementing that means moving on from my current Amp/DSP combo unit. I'll need a 4ch amp to pair with the CDSP for my active 2-way front stage. I've curated a shortlist of small-footprint, high power amps that I consider middle tier - somewhere in the $500-1000 range. I'm looking for a minimum of 125Wx4 into 4ohm or 200Wx4 into 2ohm.

Please let me know what you think will sound best and why! Or, if there's something I left off the list, please add a comment.

Choices are:

Model$RMS 4ohmRMS 2ohmW in.D in.
ESX QE900.4655150225116.5
AD ADK1200.489922034011.87.5
Focal FDP 4.600849150200107.7
Hertz Mille ML Power 474912025011.46.7
Diamond HX600.484916025011.97.7
Ground Zero GZRA 4HD59917527510.67.3
MMATS HiFi-6150D114915025010.49.5

·
Registered
07 Accord GS9-Arc Audio dsp-Audison Voce 5.1K+Due-HAT Legatia SE 3 way + Clarus 15 in IB
89 Posts
Do you require class D? Stereo Integrity SIQ 125.4 meets your parameters and the 200.4 is only $40 above your listed price range. Class A/B, clean signal path and gorgeous...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question, no, I don't require class D. But I am looking for something compact (which I loosely defined as less than 12" in either direction). I think that pretty much rules out A/B, including the SI you suggested (which is 16.5" long). Thanks for the suggestion though!! Those are nice looking amps.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Not on your list, but I would suggest the JL HD 600/4. I've tried a lot of amps but these keep going back in. GB60/15 combo. 750/1 for sub duty.

Plenty of power if you like it loud. I also like that it's "their" design, not just another rebadged amp.

They also hold their value and sell quick if you ever want to change.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Isn't that Hertz just a nvx jad800.4?
Not sure but I was just reading a thread where someone was saying that an NVX and a Hertz model were very similar. I think it was in reference to the Hertz HCP4DK though, not the Mille ML Power 4. Can't find the thread now...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not on your list, but I would suggest the JL HD 600/4. I've tried a lot of amps but these keep going back in. GB60/15 combo. 750/1 for sub duty.

Plenty of power if you like it loud. I also like that it's "their" design, not just another rebadged amp.

They also hold their value and sell quick if you ever want to change.
Thanks for the suggestion. I definitely looked at JL but they seem to get pretty mixed reviews so it didn't make the final list. Glad you like it though!!

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
The arc audio x2 600.4 ticks all the boxes as well. Controls on the top and speaker plugs. I’ve had two focal 900.6/6.900s (bigger brother) and it takes a lot of line input voltage to get the output (Or high gains, but it gets noisy above like 1/4 gain). Nice looking amp though, I like the angled terminals and the two mounting options.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
So by "amp shpwdown". do you mean you are going to buy all these amps and test them out and let us know what they are all about? Or are you just looking to buy an amp for your system? In which case isn't this just another what amp should i buy thread?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Whatever happened to the people that claim all amps sound the same?
Check out the Somy xm-gs4 if you can squeeze in a couple and Sonic does the open box deal…

·
Super Moderator
2,330 Posts
There's a reason why the MMATS amp is more expensive than all others...
If you must have a Class D, and you are set on that list of options; then it would be the 'go to'.

I currently have a handful of Audison Class D amps (which I'm likely going to sell soon), that you may also want to consider:

I've owned the MMATS amps, and they are monsters. 100% recommend them.
I've also owned the Focal FPD amps. They sound great, until you really crank them... then they crap the bed.

The Audison's that I currently have, are very nice. No complaints. I'm ditching them, because I just got a pair of Brax amps.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Is the Alpine X-A70F in the mix at $799 msrp? No experience with the newer X series, but I loved my PDX V9.
Small footprint, plenty of power 120 x 4 @4 or 175 x 4 @2 (thou the PDX birth sheets usually showed a higher actual test output)
Solid rep for being built well and longevity.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Whatever happened to the people that claim all amps sound the same?
Check out the Somy xm-gs4 if you can squeeze in a couple and Sonic does the open box deal…
Agree that the XM-GS4 are really great amps regardless of the lowish cost. But the OP asked for amp suggestions with 125+ watts x 4 @ 4-ohms. And I'm fairly certain that it's a Class A/B topology as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the feedback and ideas everyone! Kind of interesting that more people are suggesting amps that are not on the list, than those that are.

Biketronics Titan BT-4180?

Thanks yea I looked at that but I don't like that it doesn't have a gain setting. It seems to be specific to the line voltage for Harleys.

The arc audio x2 600.4 ticks all the boxes as well. Controls on the top and speaker plugs. I’ve had two focal 900.6/6.900s (bigger brother) and it takes a lot of line input voltage to get the output (Or high gains, but it gets noisy above like 1/4 gain). Nice looking amp though, I like the angled terminals and the two mounting options.
I had the X2 600.4 on the list but took it off because it only does [email protected]

There's a reason why the MMATS amp is more expensive than all others...
If you must have a Class D, and you are set on that list of options; then it would be the 'go to'.

I currently have a handful of Audison Class D amps (which I'm likely going to sell soon), that you may also want to consider:

I've owned the MMATS amps, and they are monsters. 100% recommend them.
I've also owned the Focal FPD amps. They sound great, until you really crank them... then they crap the bed.

The Audison's that I currently have, are very nice. No complaints. I'm ditching them, because I just got a pair of Brax amps.
I've been back on forth on the MMATS. There are lots of ppl who love it. Some things that are holding me back are the fan and the cheap RCA connections. Also there is something about their online presence that bothers me. The website is terrible, and there are inconsistencies in the info online and in manuals. That type of stuff induces skepticism.

Thanks for the SR 4.500 suggestion. That one came to attention after starting this thread. Definitely fits the bill.

Great feedback on the Focal, thank you!!

Is the Alpine X-A70F in the mix at $799 msrp? No experience with the newer X series, but I loved my PDX V9.
Small footprint, plenty of power 120 x 4 @4 or 175 x 4 @2 (thou the PDX birth sheets usually showed a higher actual test output)
Solid rep for being built well and longevity.
I hadn't considered that one...

Agree that the XM-GS4 are really great amps regardless of the lowish cost. But the OP asked for amp suggestions with 125+ watts x 4 @ 4-ohms. And I'm fairly certain that it's a Class A/B topology as well.
Class D isn't a necessity, I just thought it was inevitable given most A/B have a larger footprint at this power level. But yea that's less power.

·
Super Moderator
2,330 Posts
I've been back on forth on the MMATS. There are lots of ppl who love it. Some things that are holding me back are the fan and the cheap RCA connections. Also there is something about their online presence that bothers me. The website is terrible, and there are inconsistencies in the info online and in manuals. That type of stuff induces skepticism.
The fan is definitely an issue... but I think I read somewhere that they had been improved. It's been a couple years since I had a MMATS.

Cheap RCA's. I don't think I'd get bent out of shape about that. They've never been an issue, that I'm aware of...

[email protected] webside does not equal [email protected] product... they are a small company, but the owner is a solid guy, who knows what he is talking about. I know many member here (myself included) have spoken directly to him, prior to purchasing his product. He builds quality stuff, and he stands behind it. Warranty is top-notch.

Feel free to reach out to him directly: David Thompson. [email protected]mmatsproaudio.com

I'm not trying to sell you on MMATS... but I do believe they are heads above the other amps you are looking at (including the Audison's I currently have).

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I've been eyeing the miniDSP CDSP 8x12 DL for a while, and implementing that means moving on from my current Amp/DSP combo unit. I'll need a 4ch amp to pair with the CDSP for my active 2-way front stage. I've curated a shortlist of small-footprint, high power amps that I consider middle tier - somewhere in the $500-1000 range. I'm looking for a minimum of 125Wx4 into 4ohm or 200Wx4 into 2ohm.

Please let me know what you think will sound best and why! Or, if there's something I left off the list, please add a comment.

Choices are:

Model$RMS 4ohmRMS 2ohmW in.D in.
ESX QE900.4655150225116.5
AD ADK1200.489922034011.87.5
Focal FDP 4.600849150200107.7
Hertz Mille ML Power 474912025011.46.7
Diamond HX600.484916025011.97.7
Ground Zero GZRA 4HD59917527510.67.3
MMATS HiFi-6150D114915025010.49.5
I don't think you could go wrong with the MMATS.
Have you looked at Biketronics? I think they can make those with gain controls, you'd have to call to find out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Really appreciate that feedback @JimmyDee !! It's valuable coming from someone who has used more than one model on the list. Have you used anything else on the list besides the MMATS 6150 and Audison SR 4.500?

Maybe I'll reach out to David to see if there are dealers in my area. That portion of their site will not load for me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't think you could go wrong with the MMATS.
Have you looked at Biketronics?
Yea someone recommended them earlier in the thread. The only model with gain control is $1000, and at that point I'd just go with the MMATS.

Do you have experience with Biketronics? How does that work without gain control? What are your thoughts on the gain rollback feature (when not used with a Harley)?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts