DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about going active for the first time. I have massive audio ck6 v speakers. I am running a us amps xt800.4 bridged to the components right now using the passive crossovers. I will probably keep that amp bridged to the mids but I am looking for suggestions on an amp to power the tweeters. I see on massive's website the tweeters can handle 80watts rms. Should I be looking for an amp around that wattage or is that a little overkill on tweeters? Thanks!

·
Registered
834 Posts
More power is always better first of all. With respect to a knowledgeable person that knows how to deal with it obviously. So any power will be fine for the tweets as they'll likely only see 20-40rms at any time to get plenty loud.

I ran the RK6's active and I had 150 to the mids and 150 to the tweeters. These tweeters actually sound pretty darn good when you don't have them on Massives passive x-overs. Have you thought about selling that amp and picking up one amp that will be able to run everything active?? I would ideally say to just pick up a processor and use that for active and keep it at one amp but at 100x4...close to not enough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More power is always better first of all. With respect to a knowledgeable person that knows how to deal with it obviously. So any power will be fine for the tweets as they'll likely only see 20-40rms at any time to get plenty loud.

I ran the RK6's active and I had 250 to the mids and 250 to the tweeters. These tweeters actually sound pretty darn good when you don't have them on Massives passive x-overs. Have you thought about selling that amp and picking up one amp that will be able to run everything active?? I would ideally say to just pick up a processor and use that for active and keep it at one amp but at 100x4...not enough.
Yes I've thought about selling the amp. Actually that would be preferable because of ease of installation and simplicity. This is in a 2004 GTO. The system will consist of an alpine 9835, ck6 components, mmats d800.1 on a tc sounds epic 8" sub. Any suggestions on an inexpensive amp comparable to the us amps xt800.4 that I could run the front stage active? To give a little background I've been into car audio since around 1997 and have never blown a speaker. I used to be kind of a basshead and had a modified mmats d300hc on two 10" diamond audio macdaddy 10's and did 151 db on the meter way back then. Those subs were rated at 600watts rms and I was putting 900+ watts into them in a custom vented enclosure with no subsonic filter. So I guess I'm ok with dealing with power. This is actually the first time I've gone over 150watts a channel to my front stage though and I've never gone active before but I would love to try it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
MB Quart Q4.150 can be had online still but I highly suggest using caps on the tweeters as it just popped one of mine. I'm sent it in and I'm going with the Onyx 4.125 instead as it doesn't seem to have the same problem as the Q with channels going bad..but I assume you can remedy that by just adding a cap. The MB Q and Onyx amps seem to do rated power and pretty cleanly at that

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I am curious.. would it be terribly bad thing to buy a 2x60wrms Jensen amplifier to drive a set tweeters? I have been using a 5-channel amplifier from the same family of products and never hard any issues with pops on turn on or off. It seems a little superfluous to run tweeters of 150watt RMS channel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought about running them off a Precision Power P900.4. I really would like more power to the mids though. hmmm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any thoughts about using ppi p900.4 on the massives in an active setup? Too little power to the mids?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Any thoughts about using ppi p900.4 on the massives in an active setup? Too little power to the mids?
The PPI amplifier meets and slightly exceeds that published 4x140watt RMS rating. I'd be surprised you would need more for the mids..

·
Registered
834 Posts
150 should be plenty for the ck6. Now for the Rk6..it takes a bit more it seems. Go with it..nice amp

1 - 9 of 9 Posts