DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all! I need some help picking an amp that will be the correct RMS as my speakers. My rear door speakers are 6.5 kickers CS series with 100 watts RMS. That is per speaker correct?
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Camera accessory Camera lens

Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Parallel

I have two Boss 6x9 in my front door but was thinking of changing them to Kickers CS series as well because the Boss speakers are 350 RMS and I figureded getting speakers around the same RMS would be more convenient finding an amp. This is what I am looking at
Product Automotive tire Camera accessory Font Audio equipment

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

I found it difficult to find an amp to match the RMS with the speakers I have now since the front is 350 rms with the rear at 100. With the new kickers it will be 150 in the front and 100 in the rear. I am assuming that is per speaker. Can anyone recommend an amp that will push my speakers well?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Do a 4 x 150 and turn the sensitivity down on the 6.5s to keep from overdriving them... (Kicker CS don't handle being driver hard or low that well.) If you push a real 350W to the Boss 6x9s you have a car full of smoke.

Reactions: mdnky

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
857 Posts
I'm sure those boss speakers can't handle 350RMS each very long before spontaneously cumbusting. And the kicker should handle 100RMS just don't give them more. I don't trust kicker speaker rating from my own experience. Amps I have no issues with.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
857 Posts
Do a 4 x 150 and turn the sensitivity down on the 6.5s to keep from overdriving them... (Kicker CS don't handle being driver hard or low that well.) If you push a real 350W to the Boss 6x9s you have a car full of smoke.
Ha, you beat me to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay and thank you. Do you think I should go with different 6x9 for my front doors? Maybe ones that would match the 6.5 at 100 rms? Or do the 4 door speakers need to match RMS? I figured that would be easier to find an amp that wouldn't over power or under power them. I'm just trying to get a nice clean sound.

·
Registered
857 Posts
A 4 channel amp is basically 2 2 channel amps and have separate gain controls it would be ok to miss match RMS ratings on the speaker side.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have no issue with kicker. My whole last sound system was kicker. But I will probly never use them again. That's just me though.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I used the factory amp to push them so I can't tell you how they actually sounded amplified. But they didn't sound bad per say. But my sound system needs turned into an obsession and I went a completely different route.

·
Registered
857 Posts
It depends on your goal. If your just trying to sound better than stock those kickers will do, with a reputable amp to go along with them. But your at a SQ (sound quality) site and most will tell you to focus on the install, Sound treatment, Ditch the coaxial idea and do a proper 2 or 3 way set upfront, DSP ect etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It depends on your goal. If your just trying to sound better than stock those kickers will do, with a reputable amp to go along with them. But your at a SQ (sound quality) site and most will tell you to focus on the install, Sound treatment, Ditch the coaxial idea and do a proper 2 or 3 way set upfront, DSP ect etc.
I feel that I am way out of the loop with my expertise on car audio. What would you mean by ditching the coaxial idea and a proper 2 or 3 way? I'm sorry, I haven't really installed audio but I am slowly learning.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Okay and thank you. Do you think I should go with different 6x9 for my front doors? Maybe ones that would match the 6.5 at 100 rms? Or do the 4 door speakers need to match RMS? I figured that would be easier to find an amp that wouldn't over power or under power them. I'm just trying to get a nice clean sound.
It all depends on your goals. If you're looking for a 6x9 that will cover the Sub Bass Frequencies to run without a Subwoofer then the answer is an unqualified yes but then you will have to address things like sound deadening your doors and budget constraints.

The Kicker CS are fine for what they are and at their price point. My son ran the exact same 6.5" Coax in his front doors on Toro MRx4 (80W with 80Hz HP in Kenwood HU) and the surrounds ripped on both of them - he replaced them with some spare Silver Flutes I had laying around and has not had any more problems.

You want better 6x9s in the front as your front soundstage is where 99% of the music will come from - the rears are for rear seat passengers or rear fill but put the majority of your emphasis on quality in the 6x9s as they will be carrying the load for you. Budget?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It all depends on your goals. If you're looking for a 6x9 that will cover the Sub Bass Frequencies to run without a Subwoofer then the answer is an unqualified yes but then you will have to address things like sound deadening your doors and budget constraints.

The Kicker CS are fine for what they are and at their price point. My son ran the exact same 6.5" Coax in his front doors on Toro MRx4 (80W with 80Hz HP in Kenwood HU) and the surrounds ripped on both of them - he replaced them with some spare Silver Flutes I had laying around and has not had any more problems.

You want better 6x9s in the front as your front soundstage is where 99% of the music will come from - the rears are for rear seat passengers or rear fill but put the majority of your emphasis on quality in the 6x9s as they will be carrying the load for you. Budget?
My budget isn't as much concern because I will get them in stages if needed. I just don't want to get equipment that won't be able to handle power and end up blowing something which in turn would make me start over. What would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
My budget isn't as much concern because I will get them in stages if needed. I just don't want to get equipment that won't be able to handle power and end up blowing something which in turn would make me start over. What would you recommend?
I prefer separates but that's because I prefer AB for full range and D for Subs and very few 5 channels have that... either one is fine and it all comes down to space, wiring and do they make a 5 channel with the amount of power you need.

The usual contenders for 6x9 are (in no particular order): AudioFrog, Morel, HAT, CDT and Hertz.

What Sub you get will predicate the amplifier choice cause you can do the AF GB12 and a 5 channel pretty easy but if you did the SQL12 then you need WAY more power.

What vehicle are you working with?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I prefer separates but that's because I prefer AB for full range and D for Subs and very few 5 channels have that... either one is fine and it all comes down to space, wiring and do they make a 5 channel with the amount of power you need.

The usual contenders for 6x9 are (in no particular order): AudioFrog, Morel, HAT, CDT and Hertz.

What Sub you get will predicate the amplifier choice cause you can do the AF GB12 and a 5 channel pretty easy but if you did the SQL12 then you need WAY more power.

What vehicle are you working with?
I have a 2020 Tacoma and the stock speakers are not that great. I put the balance to the rear and you can barely hear them. I have heard of those 6x9s,but I don't see them as much as I do as with kicker or Alpine or even JL audio. Is it because the ones you mentioned are better quality or more competition speakers?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts