DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going active... I want to buy a 4 channel amp to power LPG 25NFA tweeters and MW 160 GT mids. How would a JL 450/4 work in this setup? I know many think JL is overpriced but would it provide enough power for these speakers? Any other suggestions around the price of a 450/4?

Also, anyone have a suggestion for a crossover? Arc IDX?

Thank you

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, what about general mids suggestions?

I'm considering (based on what i've read here in these forums):
Dyn mw 160 gt
CDT HD-6
DLS Iridium
Focal K2 165K2P
Alpine SPX-17PRO

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Something else I'm confused about...
Most of the mids I look are somewhere in the realm of 100W RMS. However, I see a lot of users pushing 250+ watts to these same mids. So, for say, the Focal 6K2P mid that has an RMS of 100W and a max power of 200W, would 150W be sufficient?? I would think so, but so many of you are using much more powerful amps.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
First off, that JL amp is nice, but steep in price. If you can afford it great, but there are plenty of good choices for a lot less money.

There are so many choices in mids I couldn't even begin to recommend a set. I have DLS Iridium 8's going in my front doors, but I haven't heard them in the car yet. I bought them mainly because of their shallow depth and small neo magnet.

Believe it or not, you can get the Pioneer Premier 720PRS set for about the same price as just the mids on most of those you listed, and the midbass speakers in that set are outstanding, and probably on par with anything else anywhere near it's price range. You could even sell the tweeters and crossovers since you wouldn't need them.

A lot of people run a lot of power because they like to have the headroom and effortless sound at high volume levels you get with that much power. I'm a fan of using as much power as you can afford and your electrical system can handle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.