DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A "friend" of mine mistakenly reversed the ground and battery cables on a shiny new DLS RA40. Power was restored to the system and you may know the rest, that's right gang, SMOKE!

So my "friend" wants to know is this thing toast? Repairable? Anyone here work on them?

Thanks, now I need to finish chewing my, I mean my "friends" ass.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've had a "friend" do this once on a new kicker 850.4 but luckily for my "friend" it just blew a fuse on the amp and worked flawlessly afterwards.

·
Registered
404 Posts
A "friend" of mine mistakenly reversed the ground and battery cables on a shiny new DLS RA40. Power was restored to the system and you may know the rest, that's right gang, SMOKE!

So my "friend" wants to know is this thing toast? Repairable? Anyone here work on them?

Thanks, now I need to finish chewing my, I mean my "friends" ass.
Check your fuses, cross your fingers and give it a try. I recently did the 'dumb a$$' thing when in a rush I neglected to disconnect power when reconnecting my US Acoustics 2100 and talk about a shower of sparks and I swear even 20 mintutes later smoke was still hazing off that thing. After replacing a fried fuse at the battery the thing still works perfectly. Love that amp. Low maintenance and very forgiving, like a good woman.:) Good luck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here we go. That thing with it's lid blown can't be good. I replaced the fuses and it works though.
That thing with it's lid blown is a capacitor, if you didn't know, and no it's not good LoL. If it's working now great but i wouldn't try using any of the LP, provided it has one, or HP functions. That cap may be tied into those and only affect if you used them. Not a hard item to replace either if you know how to sauder.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I cap is not in the crossover. The crossover appears to be on a separate board, plus that cap is too big for the crossover. I'd guess it's part of the power supply circuit.

If the only damage is that cap, that's a pretty easy fix. Check for any traces that may look burnt, now that'd be a real problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing else seems to be burnt, it all looks pretty good. btw, that cap is located directly behind the input for the ground (not the battery I thought!).

Now what? Where should I have it repaired? I'd rather have it done than do it myself.

The DLS amps are pretty but the type is hard as **** to read.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Ive seen this happen several times to people I know. Every time someone would come to me I would pop it open and nothing was wrong. Just blown fuses.

Really surprised anything happened at all...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got an email back from Zed (about an hour reply time on a Sunday). He can fix the amp (and upgrade if I desire). 24-48 hours turn time. Nice!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Off topic: 4 more posts and I can actually buy from the classifieds legit! Wow!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Kewel news for ya then (from Zed)...
Amp toast: "HERE!, HERE!":beerchug:

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
What can he upgrade for you ?

Sounds like it might have been a godsend [this happening ] if you get it upgraded too :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From his email:

"We also offer an upgrade service which includes a capacitor, IC chipset and power transistor upgrade."

"Depending on the amplifier, upgrades can make an audible difference and also reliability."

No price available until he gets my amp.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Still, that's just awesome customer service...
One of the reasons ZED amps will always be a hot commodity...
And you'll be able to say "I've got a modded one!" ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts