DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just installed a new system in my car, featuring two of the new PDX amps - F6 and M12. They both sound fantastic, but both of them exhibit a slight turn on pop. It's not a loud pop and probably not likely to damage my speakers at the current volume. It does make me glad I put protection caps on my tweeters though. (27uf, 1kHz)

I'm pretty sure it is the amps themselves, given that both of them do it, on all channels, even with RCA's disconnected. (unless there is something particularly unusual about the 12V system turn on trigger coming from my P99 - I'll try triggering the amps turn on from another power source tomorrow just to make sure.)

This seems very unusual - especially coming from both amps.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is this normal?

Any further suggestions?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone here have a PDX F6 or M12? (or an F4 or M6 for that matter?) Is this normal?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anyone here have a PDX F6 or M12? (or an F4 or M6 for that matter?) Is this normal?
just found this thread bc i have the same issue with the f4 and m6. I had the f4 originally by itself and never had a turn on pop, installed the m6 and now i get a pop from just the sub. disconnected rcas and still a pop. maybe a relay for the turn on wire will work? not sure, even asked my local shop and the woman called alpine and they said it means the radio turns off before the amp does. really at a loss.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Try adding a delay device like the PAC TR7 and see if it helps having the amps come on after the source and any processors.

·
Registered
518 Posts
i have 2 of each (F6 and M12) in an install and turn on and off are dead silent. the sequential turn on provided by the MS-8 may help, but, the 4 amps i am using exhibit no signs at all of turn on or off noise of any kind.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm now pretty sure it it the amps themselves and adding a delay will just delay the pop.

With only one amp in, the head deck turned off, no RCAs, triggering the amp turn on straight from ac lead they still pop.

Looks like I need to take it in for service...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yea maybe. Test it out of the car too. Could be some weird ground issue even.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm experiencing turn on pop in a customer's '74 Bronco. I'm using a CDE-HD148BT, PDX-5M, SPR-60C's (bi-wired), and a T10 sub. I've tried: #10 ground from headunit to amp grounds (we used to do this for noise issues with a/d/s 642s); unplugging RCAs; using a relay to isolate remote turn on, using ACC & jumper from #4 power cable; three different sized caps with diode; substituting RCAs.; substituting PDX-5M with PDX-5 from my own truck.

Still pops. I've tried everything I remember, since I've not had turn on pop in 20 years, I'm at an end. Good luck with your problems, I'll post up if I get mine solved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts