DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shadetree installing my own systems since '89 and I have never had an issue like the one I am having now. I have installed a modest system in an 05 Tahoe. I have a Kicker CX600.1 and a CX300.4 installed. Sometimes when I step on the gas or switch from reverse to drive, the amps will cut out and reset. Sometimes I will go all day without this happening and sometimes it happens with every other stop. And sometimes I can get it to happen by getting the window actuators to 'load up' by closing an already closed window. So I am fairly sure my issue is amperage.

I have re-ran my power and ground a number of times. I have tapped the amp turn-on signal from the radio, the PAC module and even set up my own using a relay. I changed ground points and even got a threaded riveter to make sure the ground is secure. The only thing I haven't done yet is run a dedicated ground to the battery.

Has anyone had an issue like this with Tahoes, Suburbans, Yukons and/or Escalades?

Thanks.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'd measure your voltage when this is happening. Could be a bad alternator or battery or loose wire. The fact that you can load down your electrical system with the windows sounds like an issue with the truck to me

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. I replaced the battery and alternator when I got the Tahoe in November '19. I had to replace both again in March. The diagnosis was that the new alternator was faulty and killed the new battery.

I also posted a similar query on my GM forums looking for suggestions there to cover my bases.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Sounds terrible. Was it a cheap alt? Have you traced the factory wires and seen if a ground came loose? I would measure your voltage

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Voltage fluctuates from 12.4 to 14.4. I've checked this with the dash meter, a digital meter I installed in one of the 12v socket locations and with an OBDII reader. GM started using variable voltage regulation in their vehicles at some point, but I don't know if it is in my Tahoe or not. That's a Q I have on the GM forums.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With GMs variable voltage, the meter can read anywhere from 12 to 16v, depending on load. And according to an article I found, GM started using EPM (Electric Power Management) system in 2005. And when the system is in Fuel Economy mode, it will reduce voltage to 12.5v. So it seems to be within norms.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My buddies 2011 Suburban doesn't do any of that. Usually its at 14.4 and will ride at 13.8 with the AC on. He did have a 2007 that shit the bed electrically... dash went out, limp mode, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts