DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having the opposite problem with fans, than I had with ultra capacitors.... Which is to say, I have about 2 million choices ! Just curious which ones some of you have used ?
I'm looking for;
Cheap (under $30)
Quiet
Dependable
I've seen a ton of those little, usually white, inline blowers used in car audio, but they all look so similar, I'm not sure which brand many people use ???

·
Registered
1,597 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice !
Ya' know whats funny, since I posted this, I had been looking at several Youtube vids with those inline fans, and they were all LOUD AF ! I actually came here to say, never mind on those, and I was starting to think about the type you just posted. But now, I'm thinking about some sort of a shroud (acrylic ?) with a fan like the one you posted, built into it ? For the fan itself though, the one you posted looks great :) TY

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
The ideal fan solution is entirely dependent on your application, and in order to offer the best options you would need to provide more details.

What is the primary purpose for these fans? Amp cooling?
What is the install location? Open cabin? Trunk? Under seat?
What are your spacial constraints? In other words, what is the maximum width, height, and depth you have to work with?

In the case of fans, there is the direct proportional relationship between CFM and dB. The greater the CFM being moved (using the same size fan) the louder it will be. Therefore, if having a quiet fan is your most critical parameter, then the largest fan you can fit is your best option. It will flow at a higher CFM, typically have a lower RPM, and will be quieter than multiple fans covering the same space.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ideal fan solution is entirely dependent on your application, and in order to offer the best options you would need to provide more details.

What is the primary purpose for these fans? Amp cooling?
What is the install location? Open cabin? Trunk? Under seat?
What are your spacial constraints? In other words, what is the maximum width, height, and depth you have to work with?

In the case of fans, there is the direct proportional relationship between CFM and dB. The greater the CFM being moved (using the same size fan) the louder it will be. Therefore, if having a quiet fan is your most critical parameter, then the largest fan you can fit is your best option. It will flow at a higher CFM, typically have a lower RPM, and will be quieter than multiple fans covering the same space.
I think I have brainstormed through it, but I will take a photo later of the two amps, and then tell you what I'm thinking, and see if you agree. Should be easy, and effective.

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
Most of that is very good, and a larger fan spinning slower is generally quieter at the same CFM.

However the shape of the blade also can make some significant difference, so if one can trust dB rating, then they could help.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most of that is very good, and a larger fan spinning slower is generally quieter at the same CFM.

However the shape of the blade also can make some significant difference, so if one can trust dB rating, then they could help.
I think "in general" PC case fans are just going to be WAY was quieter than those ventilation of bilge fans.
I have found that the loudest case fans are multitudes quieter than the quietest inline or bilge fan. For obvious reasons.

I think I've decided to use one or two PC case fans, in a shroud. Now I just need to figure out how control the rpm's) as in many conditions, it will only need the lowest speed. Most are variable speed, but typically controlled by a PC.

I've actually found a few large PC case fans (8") which move maximum air at only 800 rpm's.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd go with noctua. In the PC world, they're pretty much the best brand for quality and noise. Check out their website for lots of different fan diameters and rpm's. Also an option for an inline doodad to slow the fan down.
I know those got great ratings.... But I didn't see any of those with LED's.... Which for me wasn't just for flash or show, but rather, so I could look over my right shoulder at any time, even in the dark, to confirm my fan was working. Because here's the thing.... I'm sure my fan setup is going to keep the amps way cooler. But if ever that fan should fail, that shroud is going to keep that heat in, and overheat those amps 5 X's as fast !
I do like any of the larger diameter, high flow, low RPM models though.

And I have to admit, those brown and black Noctua's would sure match my brown and black truck 🙂

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
They also make low noise PC fans.

For instance a server room is not exactly a quiet place.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Computer fans will be running a bit fast if your battery is charging but hopefully whatever you get will not mind that. Many of the papst 12v fans I have lying around spec a max input voltage of 14.4 or 15v which would be just fine for running directly off your alternator. There's lots of fan manufacturers that might have what you want, Noctua, Papst, Delta, and Sunon to name a few.

In computers, double ball bearing fans seem to last the longest, but desktop computers don't move and go over bumps much while powered on though.....

Controlling a fan can be cheap if you want to make your own controller, but if you don't, you could probably get a 12v regulator and any old pci slot or 3.5" drive bay fan controller.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They also make low noise PC fans.

For instance a server room is not exactly a quiet place.
Yep. That's what I ordered. Large 200mm blade, but only 700 rpm's
One of the highest cu ft per minute case fans I saw... 123, but only 21 db's....

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Computer fans will be running a bit fast if your battery is charging but hopefully whatever you get will not mind that. Many of the papst 12v fans I have lying around spec a max input voltage of 14.4 or 15v which would be just fine for running directly off your alternator. There's lots of fan manufacturers that might have what you want, Noctua, Papst, Delta, and Sunon to name a few.

In computers, double ball bearing fans seem to last the longest, but desktop computers don't move and go over bumps much while powered on though.....

Controlling a fan can be cheap if you want to make your own controller, but if you don't, you could probably get a 12v regulator and any old pci slot or 3.5" drive bay fan controller.
That's about the max voltage I ever make. Think I've seen 14.5 once, since I got the new alternator. Typically it runs 13.8-14.4

Yes, I'll probably make my own speed control and route it to within my reach from the drivers seat.

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
Yep. That's what I ordered. Large 200mm blade, but only 700 rpm's
One of the highest cu ft per minute case fans I saw... 123, but only 21 db's....
21dB is SFA.
A lot of servers and server rooms must be around 60 to 70dB.

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
A quiet one, sure! 115db A weighted wouldn't be unreasonable.
I admit I pulled the number out of the nether ether...
It seems like a wind tunnel, and one can hardly hear themselves think.

But 115 dB... holy smokes!

·
Registered
59 Posts
A warm wind tunnel isn't a bad way to describe it... It's not the nicest place to be. It wouldn't be hard to make a high density server rack even louder and hotter to boot!

Yes, I'll probably make my own speed control and route it to within my reach from the drivers seat.
I'd like to think someone makes an off the shelf board or something by now. I'm getting tired of DIY fan controllers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts