DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys/gals, I'm in process of putting together a little sq system for my car. Here is the set-up I have planned/partially purchased:

Vifa Xt25sc90's glassed in the a-pillars (thanks to my wife for getting these for me as a surprise!)
Dayton RS-100 mids in glassed into the kick panels.
Madisound OEM 8's midbass in the doors (had these for a few years and never used them, back from the good deals section in '08 or so)
Undecided 12" sub/subs (I have a MB RWE-304 right now, possibly replacing it with either a pair of Dayton HO-12's or the new PPI ART SQ 12's.)
Alpine H800 for processing, running a 4-way set up.

Amps are where I'm undecided at this point. I was seriously considering the new PPI Phantom series amps (a 4 channel and a 5 channel,) but I've just discovered that Crutchfield is authorized for JL factory refurbs, so the XD series amps have caught my eye (possibly 2 6 channels, one running in 3-channel mode to the mid-bass and 1 sub, the other in 5 channel to the other sub and mids/tweets). Any other amps I should be looking at that are around the same price point/features?

Thanks,

-Ben

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I'm not sure I follow your reasoning for running the subs on different amps - what advantage does that offer?

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
ya, I wouldnt run the amplifier that way. get a 6 ch and run the midbass/mid/tweets, then get a mono channel for the sub(s).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well my concern on getting a 6 channel to run midbass, mids, and tweets was whether I'd have enough power/headroom. The midbasses I'm going to be running are 8 ohm drivers, but the mids/tweets are 4 ohm. So, my thought was 2 six channels, effectively using them as a 3 channel and a 5 channel. (Assuming I'd be running 2 subs.)

If I end up with only 1 12, then a 4 channel bridged to 2 running the midbass and a 5 channel running mids, tweets, and subs would make more sense yes? (That was my original thought with the plan of running the PPI Phantom series, with the 900.4 for the midbass and the 900.5 for the tweets/mids/sub).

-Ben

1 - 5 of 5 Posts