DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I am in the process of choicing an amp to run rear fill and subwoofer. I was wondering what peoples thoughts on going the 4 channel route and using 2 of the channels for the speakers and bridging the other two for the sub or splitting it up and doing a mono and a 2 channel amp. Subwoofer is a focal 27kx and rear fill is focal 130kr. Assuming both ways higher end amps will be used what is the best way to go for sq?

·
Registered
464 Posts
A 4-ch amp would work fine. An amp with a steep xover for the sub, say 18 or 24db would help with the illusion of up front bass, if you don't already have crossovers like that in your system.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Some options (not including more complex multi-amp options) - I wrote this focusing on fronts and subs but you can substitute in rear speakers if you've already got your fronts taken care of. Or you can swap whatever you already have for your front with something that can cover front + rear and either also sub or get the dedicated sub amp. Up to you.

-2ch + monoblock: Fronts with the 2ch, sub with monoblock. Run without rears or run them from the H/U. Monoblock allows the sub to be driven with as much power as you want.

-4ch + monoblock: Front active or fronts+rears driven with 4ch (no rear speakers or rears driven with HU in the case of front active), sub with monoblock. Monoblock allows the sub to be driven with as much power as you want. Or the 4ch could be bridged down to 2ch mode (see above option).

-4ch: Fronts on 2 channels, bridge the other 2 for the sub. This limits you with most amps to having a pretty modest subwoofer channel, but that's fine for many people, and you can always upgrade by adding a monoblock later and using the other 2 channels either to bridge or for your rears or for front active (see above)

-5ch: Front active, bridge 4 into 2, or front + rear... and sub channel. The sub channel usually isn't all that beefy, but beefy enough for many people, and convenient

-6ch: Front + rear + bridge 2 for sub: Sub channel will be quite modest.

-6ch + monoblock: Front active + rear + dedicated sub amp, or front bridged + rear + dedicated sub amp

All of those are perfectly valid depending on your goals, budget, and available space. And there are other options as well.

·
Registered
340 Posts
do what i did.

4 channel for now running fronts and sub.

then ill add another mono block so i can do fronts (bridged) + sub on the mono block.

then ill go full active with those amps once i get processing power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I finally settled on was using a jl 300/4 which I already had for my fronts which are ran active. I bought a jl 450/4 off a friend and used the 75w channels on the rear fill and the 150w channels bridged to 300w for the sub. Just waiting on a few more pieces then I will be installing everything soon and doing a worklog. Thanks for the help deciding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts