DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find a general guideline for how much wattage you need for mids and tweeters once you separate them out. I've typically run 100-150 watts for components or coaxials. I've just purchased an MS8 and I'd like to get rid of the passive crossover. How much wattage should I be looking to push for the tweets and mids separately? My gutt tells me about 100 for Mids and 50 for tweets. Is that close?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Depends on what drivers you have and how they were built.
Also what crossover points.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
A clean 10W of power from your tweeter is the power to fry your ears....
If they are 4ohm tweeters, just use the MS-8 power while the mid with external amp, if you want tight and solid midbass.... MS-8's power are good, but then it is just not enough for midbass sometimes...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. Lets say you have enough external amp channels already to run active, how do you set the amp gains with the MS8 in the signal path?
I plan on using Alpine SPX-17PRO components in the front bi-amping the x-over that is supplied since it has a protection circuit for the tweeters, I'd still like to limit the amount of power going to them.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I'm trying to find a general guideline for how much wattage you need for mids and tweeters once you separate them out. I've typically run 100-150 watts for components or coaxials. I've just purchased an MS8 and I'd like to get rid of the passive crossover. How much wattage should I be looking to push for the tweets and mids separately? My gutt tells me about 100 for Mids and 50 for tweets. Is that close?
ZED leviathan or JL xd600/6, 6 ch, perfect compromise to drive your front stage.
No worries about over-powering the tweeters. I've seen some comp cars that had Arc SE4200 driving tweeters(just to match amplifiers for cosmetics)...it's how you set your gains.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the setup I'm building in my Double Cab Tundra

Massive Audio CK 6 Stage V Comps in the front
Massive Audio RX 6 Coax in the rear
2 x JL 10W1V2 in a sealed box
MS8 JBL Processor
Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD

I want to run at least 100 watts to the back speakers and the front mids. I'm trying to find an amp setup that will accommodate those plus some power for the tweets and the subs. Looking at Class D amplifiers. The best situation I can come up with is needing three amps. One mono for the subs (run in parallel for 2 ohms), one for the back speakers and the front mids and another for the tweets. I like the MB Quart Onyx for their power/dollar aspect but don't have space for 3 of those. Some I'm looking at the Alipine MRX series, the Kenwood Excellon and maybe the Kicker or JL series but they are a bit more expensive. I'm trying to stay around $500 for amps.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
2 matching 4 channels + monoblock = nice looking install, easier to keep everything looking balanced

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
A clean 10W of power from your tweeter is the power to fry your ears....
If they are 4ohm tweeters, just use the MS-8 power while the mid with external amp, if you want tight and solid midbass.... MS-8's power are good, but then it is just not enough for midbass sometimes...
No one is playing a continuous tone using tweeters. For dynamic peaks, I think a tweeter could use more power. However, this depends on crossover point. I have played my tweeters with mids and midbass turned off, and with high crossover point, I'd be surprised if they really to use more than 10watts. However, there is a difference between power needs of a tweeter playing only treble and a tweeter crossed at 2-3KHz. The later could probably use more power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts