DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The following is the list of 6 amplifier categories. Edit the list by adding more amplifiers…

Audiophile Amps:

Brax Graphic series
McIntosh
Zapco C2K
Audison vrx
Genesis Series 3
Aura MR/RPM
TRU

Audio Enthusiast Amps:

DLS Ultimate
Arc audio SE and XXK/CXLR
Audison lrx
Zapco Reference
Diamond D7
Alpine MRV Expert series
Memphis MClass
Helix Esprit series
MB Quart Q series
Phoenix Gold older MS series
TREO ssx

Good Quality Amps:

Zed Audio
Zuki
JBL Crown series
JL Audio Slash / Slash v2
Phoenix Gold Xenon
Phoenix Gold Ti series
Crossfire VR
Memphis Reference
Alphasonik/US Acoustics (1994-2000)
Eclipse XA Series
JBL Power Series
Newer Kenwood Excelon
Sundown
TREO ssx
US Acoustics usx

Average Amps:

Alpine MRP
Infinity Refernce
JBL CS series
Alpine V12 MRV ("hissed like a fucking snake" post #82)
Alpine PDX (Quality amps but many notice excessive idle hiss :worried:)
Clarion APX
Sony Xploid

Value Amps:

Kicker
Hifonics
MA audio
Coustic

Poor Mofo Amps:

DLS reference series (post # 8)
Audiobahn
Legacy
Pyle

·
Registered
784 Posts
The following is the list of 6 amplifier categories. Edit the list by adding more amplifiers…

I like buying a good amp and paying then paying double for fancy bling

Brax Graphic series
McIntosh
Zapco C2K (doesn't really fall under the new category)
Genesis Series 3

If I have the money I like to buy excellant quality amps that are bulletproof

Zapco Reference
Diamond D7
Memphis MClass
Helix Esprit series
MB Quart Q series
Phoenix Gold older MS series

I like reliability and power

Alpine PDX series (I wouldn't rate this with the other two here)
Phoenix Gold Ti series
Memphis Reference

A watt is a watt but I'll spend a bit more for quality

Alpine MRP
Infinity Refernce
JBL Power Series
Clarion APX

A watt really is a watt

Hifonics
Kicker
Coustic

Fuck the amp I want BLING MOFO

Audiobahn
Legacy
MA audio
Pyle
I fixed your list for you!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Whats your criteria for this list?

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
My take,

My award for amplifier design of the year (or the moment) is:
Alpine's PDX series amps

PDX series rocks. Perfectly engineered. Compact, installs anywhere, excellent SQ and linearity, strong power output that exceeds it's rated specs, and sturdy build quality with a nice warranty to back it up. Now, while these amps aren't the cheapest priced amps, I guarantee if you buy them, you get what you pay for.

Also, I want to take a moment to give kudos to Alpine. Alpine is probably the only mass market electronics company who seems to really give a crap about delivering high quality sound from their headunits to their higher-end speakers and digital signal processors. Really, Alpine should get the Car Audio Electronics of the Year Award. Kudos to that company for really trying to deliver the best quality and at reasonable prices considering you're getting high-end quality. Alpine is obviously committed to the car audio enthusiast like no other large mass-market company and I hope the hobbyists here appreciate that.

I would give 2nd place to Kenwood for the new Excelon amps. Compact (but not as compact as Alpine's PDX amps), great SQ, solid build quality, nice xtra's and very reasonable pricing. If you can't afford the Alpine PDX series amps, you should be buying these.

For the "Best of the Budget Amp Award", I haven't decided yet, but Cadence has pretty much held this catagory for some years now in my opinion.

There are some good quality amps to be had from many others, but they are very similar in size, SQ & build quality. The amps I mentioned are more unique and fit more install designs.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I think Arc amps fit somewhere into the upper echelon there.

Their SE and XXK/CXLR amps are top notch.

·
Registered
991 Posts
2nd generations Alpine MRV Expert series (1999-2001) should be in the Enthusiast Level, based on your categories.

Alphasonik/US Acoustics, Lanzar Opti-Drives, hell all the 1994/5 through 2000 ish Zed product are at least upper Good Quality pushing into enthusiast level.

I am a strong supporter of performance over looks or marketing. I disagree with the Anti-Zapco/Audison/DLS etc, haters: just cuz you can't play Pro-Ball doesn't mean you hate the game..

Just my .02
Rob

(ps: I only listed amps I have used in my own vehicles, not even product I have installed for customers.)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I'd add DLS Ultimate to one of the top 2. I tried 2 different DLS ultimate amps, and liked them... If they weren't so expensive I'd have 3...

·
Registered
675 Posts
DO WE REALLY NEED ANOTHER FREAKIN BEST AMPS LIST THREAD????!!!! FOR FUCKS SAKE.....

and if you haven't USED the fucking amps keep your fucking mouth shut...PDX's are not the fucking shit of an amp...JBL's should not be below a PDX ever on quality of the sound that comes out of the amp...and seriously...do we need another one of these damn threads....tasers set to kill today....

1 - 20 of 279 Posts