DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my budget just droped from 1,000 to about 500.
Now i have to make a choice between getting a great set comp and a not so great amp or vise versa.
Whats the most important part in everyones opinion?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
buy used and go active with DIY raw drivers....more bang for your buck IMO
I agree with this....at least check out the classifieds?
I for one have some GREAT mids for sale (jbl gti 608 midbass not listed yet..)
and a ss ref 3.270 for sale really cheap (that could be your front midbass setup?) the ref amps are awesome for going active because of the great power and active xovers built in! I can give the set for $225.00 (shipped)I dont think you will get a better package then that for the money?
Just need a small 2 channel for tweets, and tweets!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i would that but i dont have the cabality to do that at the moment.
I'm looking to keep this really simple. The most i'm willing to do right now is bi amp a set of comps using a supplied passive xover.
My amps are currently a jbl gto 75.4 11 and a jbl 1200.1 i just changed my sub stage from w6 to re sxx and gained ALOT of low end now i need a set of passives that can keep up.
Currently running some alpine type s that have alot harshnes from the tweets. Its either no highs at all or way to much.
I'v got up to alittle over 250 watts from the jbl that i would like to utilize.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
So you have amps already...why do you need new ones? $500 for speakers is actually quite a lot and definitely can get your some quality ones. The question is, how will you utilize them ;)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I agree with this....at least check out the classifieds?
I for one have some GREAT mids for sale (jbl gti 608 midbass not listed yet..)
and a ss ref 3.270 for sale really cheap (that could be your front midbass setup?) the ref amps are awesome for going active because of the great power and active xovers built in! I can give the set for $225.00 (shipped)I dont think you will get a better package then that for the money?
Just need a small 2 channel for tweets, and tweets!
I guess you got to strike while the coals are hot :beerchug:

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I guess you got to strike while the coals are hot :beerchug:
Well he did say he was "looking" for amps and speakers.....I am "selling" amps and speakers that would fit his budget. Of course now after he elaborates I have no clue what he is looking for ??????

·
Registered
546 Posts
To the OP, I think the "keeping up" factor that you are refering to is properly set gains. I would take some of the members' advice and look into some diy raw drivers and running them active. You may be surprised what you can get for your money out there.

But just playing around and doing a quick search I found this in your budget...

SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, 6.5" Woofer: Madisound Speaker Store $64.20/ea Low Fs, Decent sensitivity

SB Acoustics SB26STCN-C000-4 tweeter, 4 ohms: Madisound Speaker Store $34.85/ea Low Fs, Linear FR

WoofersEtc.com - USG4125 - U.S. Acoustics 4 Ch 1000 Watts Amplifier $279.99 Onboard Xover

Total = $478.09

And thats new equipment...better deals can be found with used equipment.

·
Registered
81 Posts
To the OP, I think the "keeping up" factor that you are refering to is properly set gains. I would take some of the members' advice and look into some diy raw drivers and running them active. You may be surprised what you can get for your money out there.

But just playing around and doing a quick search I found this in your budget...

SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, 6.5" Woofer: Madisound Speaker Store $64.20/ea Low Fs, Decent sensitivity

SB Acoustics SB26STCN-C000-4 tweeter, 4 ohms: Madisound Speaker Store $34.85/ea Low Fs, Linear FR

WoofersEtc.com - USG4125 - U.S. Acoustics 4 Ch 1000 Watts Amplifier $279.99 Onboard Xover

Total = $478.09

And thats new equipment...better deals can be found with used equipment.
That's a really nice looking amp. BTW, when you run the woofers and tweeters active, how do you crossover the tweet?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I would worry way less about the amps, long as you have the power you need. I would run kenwood amps and spend my money on speakers, or better used amps for same/less money. Front speakers are #1 for quality of sound, response you need, etc. Of course unless you know for sure you can't always pick the right ones for a particular app the first time around unfortunately. The amp will make way way way less difference in sound unless its so junky it can't make rated power. I would get the speakers that are going to sound like you want, or try anyway and use the amp you have.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would worry way less about the amps, long as you have the power you need. I would run kenwood amps and spend my money on speakers, or better used amps for same/less money. Front speakers are #1 for quality of sound, response you need, etc. Of course unless you know for sure you can't always pick the right ones for a particular app the first time around unfortunately. The amp will make way way way less difference in sound unless its so junky it can't make rated power. I would get the speakers that are going to sound like you want, or try anyway and use the amp you have.
Thnk you! Thats the kind of response i was looking for.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Well he did say he was "looking" for amps and speakers.....I am "selling" amps and speakers that would fit his budget. Of course now after he elaborates I have no clue what he is looking for ??????
x2... no clue also...

I think he's confused

1 - 13 of 13 Posts