DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
This looks interesting. It looks inexpensive for a driver suited for the car environment.

I might have to have a go at this. Also my friend runs a machine shop so I might be able to work a deal if it turns out well.

Anyone else toying with the idea?

J.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I work at a small electronics manufacturer, I have access to all of the materials necessary to build these, I tripped up on the transformer part for a second but my boss has an EE degree so I showed the FAQ to him and he said no problemo as far as giving me a hand with winding the impedance matching transformers.

I have access to many different types of foil, molybdenum, tantalum, titanium, stainless steel, aluminum, kovar, invar, and several others in varying thicknesses. I have solid bar stock rounds, squares, rectangles, in sizes varying from 1/16" to 6" diameter/width, in stainless, aluminum of several different types, steel, copper, brass, titanium, and a few other oddballs. I have access to neodymium, samarium cobalt, and several other magnetic materials that we use in special optical filter assemblies, and several sizes of each as well. I also have a lot of experience in magnetic field formation(my boss has even more) due to countless hours spent prototyping assemblies for our special optical filters.

I have a 3-axis CNC mill, a 14" manual lathe, a hardinge ultra high precision lathe, and a good friend down the street has brand new Haas high speed CNC lathes and 4-axis CNC mills with auto tool changers. Another friend's shop does all of our anodizing, chroming, powdercoating, and enamel finishing.

I think it is very possible for me to design a ribbon tweeter comparable in size to most of todays 1" dome automotive tweeters by using a high powered magnet and making the impedance matching transformer mount in a location remote from the tweeter(somewhere in the door panel). I know that the only thing stopping me from using ribbons at this point is their physical size, and I know many more people would be using them if a smaller version was made available.

If you guys are willing to help me with the sound testing end of things, measuring response curves, etc, and helping to critique my prototype units, I am completely capable of making this a production item for members of this message board an possibly more. Npdang, I think it would be amazing if we could collaborate on a component set with your mids, and my small footprint ribbons, I think a great deal of people would be quite interested.

I am very confident that I could make a fully finished production unit available in the range of $200 a set, and I know that if we cooperatively can figure out how to make these things sound good, at that price and with a footprint that allows their use by many more people I think that they would sell like hotcakes.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
This would be a very good idea.....and i'm excited to see what can turn out of it.

The one thing i ask though is if the ribbon tweet could be smaller than the ones used out there as of now. A little larger footprint than say a 1" dome tweet would be awesome. I really think this is a good ideas.....a complete DIYMA component set.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just to contribute my worthless 2 cents

I am very very intrigued by the line array mid/ribbon a-pillar mounting idea, and so far the following technical considerations have come to my mind in getting the idea to work.

First is the ribbon itself. Given the limited amount of width of an a-pillar, there would be a size restriction on the physical size of the ribbon line, which would involve a tradeoff in one of three possible areas. The first is the ribbon element itself. My question is, how does the width of the ribbon element impact performance? more specifically, could you get a really narrow ribbon to work just as well? Second compromise could be the chassis (and therefore room for magnets). This would reduce flux (and therefore sensitivity), or so i have read. Which is the better set of tradeoffs to accept? narrow ribbon or less magnets/smaller chassis

Second is the issue of time delay. werewolf, toy with us no longer and tell us how you implement passive time delay.....please? :) An active solution using existing car audio processors just doesnt seem possible, unless someone out there knows of a 20 channel processor or something? :D

Using the aura NSW2 (the perfect driver for this application it seems), means you are looking at a maximum crossover frequency of about 7KHz before comb filtering sets in. So then we are looking at a ribbon which only needs to play down to maybe 4-7KHz? Maybe this can allow for an even smaller ribbon size?

G

·
blackreplica, passive time delay is a big topic ... I know I'm way late in delivering. Let me continue some thoughts in my A-Pillar Line Array thread, rather than distract from hcbassplay's amazing proposal :D

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I'm loving it, keep it coming, make it so, it works, I am in!

making 4" mids and LCYs fit and work properly in kick panels is not an easy task, your solution would be dang sweet, especially in a car I will be racing alot:)

Rick

·
Registered
149 Posts
We also have a handy dandy gaussmeter:

http://www.gmw.com/magnetic_measurements/MetroLab/THM-7025.html

It allows for measurement of magnetic field strength and polarity. I am going to try the magnet assembly design freestyle first but if I have trouble I may save some bux and pick up a few different ribbon tweeters and see what they are working with magnetic field wise by measuring them with our gizmo. I think I might be picking up a few books, and doing a little reading too :)

I don't want to get you guys too excited until I get a functioning prototype, but as far as I can see this should not be more difficult to reverse engineer than anything else that I've dealt with(those are probably famous last words). Every time I think something should be a cinch it ends up being the hardest thing I've ever tried to do, so we'll see what happens.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're getting me very excited :)

Keep us posted. I know a LOT of guys that have been looking for a compact ribbon tweeter.

·
DIYMA lurker
801 Posts
I have a 94 Prelude with tweeter grills in the dash and they have plenty of room in there. I'll bet I could fit up to a 2"x4" ribbon back there with a minimum of rigging, if that's what you come up with. Of course, I don't know if that helps anyone else...

BTW, I'm pretty new to serious car audio, and I'm learning fast, but I'm certainly no hi-fi conneseur (sp?) yet. If your tweeters ended up in my car, I wouldn't be able to give you a highly educated critique. :oops:

Dan

·
Registered
415 Posts
SQ_Express said:
Sweet. We can now get a set of DIYMA ribbon tweet and driver. Thats what I'm talking about.
"DIYMA" - I like that! :D

"DIYMA Audio"

·
Registered
127 Posts
10K2HVN said:
SQ_Express said:
Sweet. We can now get a set of DIYMA ribbon tweet and driver. Thats what I'm talking about.

"DIYMA Audio"
Do-It-Yourself Mobile Audio Audio? Kind of like a RAID array or a PIN number? :lol:

·
Registered
415 Posts
87DXHatch said:
10K2HVN said:
SQ_Express said:

"DIYMA Audio"
Do-It-Yourself Mobile Audio Audio? Kind of like a RAID array or a PIN number? :lol:
i saw the problem with that before i posted, but if you were to consider "DIYMA" as a single word, its still kinda catchy...

it could also be seen as "Do-It-Yourself Mobile Acoustics Audio" :p

Reactions: 87DXHatch

·
Registered
149 Posts
How's bout this guys....

1.875" mounting hole
2.25" flange diameter
.093" flange thickness
1.375" mounting depth

Clamping will be from rear so front flange stays clean looking

visible ribbon area will be 1" square

Outboard impedance matching transformer 3"x3"x1"

Don't get too excited though because I havent sound tested them yet... this is just a mechanical prototype, and even though I have a very powerful neo magnet, I'm not sure it's size of 1"x1"x.5" will be enough to provide a magnetic field with enough power. I may have to use one magnet on each side or switch to a larger magnet. I really don't know yet since this is only a mockup that will possibly turn in to a working model in a couple of weeks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.