DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
We got similar broncos, love that color scheme. Mine has a huge 4" rollbar right across where the back cap goes, and the PO fastened it on. so i have never had it off but your pics make me want to!

Will follow for inspiration :)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Dude, the soft top was the best $850 I've ever spent on any car. It transforms the Bronco from just another SUV into something completely different. I can roll up the back window, completely remove the back window, roll up the side or fold the top down like a regular convertible. I can even completely remove the top without tools!

Everyone who rides in it loves it. My last girlfriend begged me to let her go the the airport and get the Bronco while I was gone on a work trip, just so she could drive it around instead of her Ranger.

The Bronco as a whole doesn't look that great, but people ask me about it at gas stations, grocery stores and so on. I've had Bronco, Blazer and 4-Runner people follow me to ask about the top. there is just something about the Bronco with a soft top that people LOVE, including me.

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,355 Posts
Too bad you are leaving, it would be awesome to have you up in OKC for the GTG.
We have an amazing group of SQ guys in the area and would love to see another come out to join us at our GTG's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This reminds me of when I tried adding a radio to an 85 Blazer that came with none. Had to cut sheetmetal and trim everywhere. What a struggle that was. Keep up the good (clean!) work

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Too bad you are leaving, it would be awesome to have you up in OKC for the GTG.
We have an amazing group of SQ guys in the area and would love to see another come out to join us at our GTG's.
I get to play with MUCH cooler toys at work, and it pays for all the silly hobbies I have. This week I'm playing with carbon fiber LED panels that are the lightest in the industry.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm home for the weekend before heading out for 28 days in Phoenix and San Diego. I spent most of my day cleaning the house and prepping my personal belongings for the tour. Once I was done being responsible I played with some audio gear.

When I bought my CD2 Comp horns in 2003 I ordered them with big bodies, but the shop screwed up and ordered mini bodies instead. Since I was so eager to play with them, I didn't bother getting the big bodies. A couple years later I traded the mini bodies straight across for some used big bodies. The ones I got were the early fiberglass version that were cut down as far as possible without going into the mouth. Recently I ordered a new set of big bodies from Eric. tonight I decided to measure them with REW to see if there was any difference. Here is a link to the test results:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xib56s2ep9hk79/Horns.mdat?dl=0

For some non-audio fun, this is my pack for my tour:

If this was a concert tour, and I was riding on a buss, I'd be limited to one small bag and one big bag, but it's not. Instead, it's a one-man-gig. I drive the truck, setup the gear, tech it, run the show, and stuff it all back in the truck. One of the luxuries of that is being able to take up a large amount of space for just myself, and the stuff I'd like to make my life more comfy.

Starting from the top:

• Small tool box of my own personal tools, I also have a bunch of company owned tools that travel with me
• Yeti cup!
• Baby Weber grill
• Microwave
• Pelican cooler
• Hotel bag
• Camera bag
• Tripod
• Hoverboard
• Pelican of my own personal electronics
• Pelican with two+ weeks of pants and a few other random bits
• Pelican with two+ weeks of shirts, jackets, hoodies, shoes and battery chargers

The Pelican with the fun toys:

From left to right:

• A 15" Macbook Pro get sandwiched between those two Asus 15" portable monitors
• An Asus Windows laptop that never goes online, it's a time capsule of software that works with older equipment
• USB BluRay drive
• Spare 13" MacBook Pro
• VZW Aircard
• OWC Thunderbolt 2 Dock
• Cradlepoint router
• TP Link ethernet switch
• iFixIt tool kit so I can fix electronics
• Cables, cables, cables! I have cables for just about any situation I run into while working with video gear.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Today I fixed the charging issue, I'm back to 14.4 volts again! My Zapco sub amp is working again, so I think it is just MUCH more sensitive to low voltage than the other amps in the Bronco. Since it's working now, I finished running the bass knob and mounted it. I also swapped out the old horn bodies with the new ones.

I'll get a good chance to listen to it on the way to work tomorrow, and then I'll park it for 26 days :-(

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I got home last night from four weeks on the road, including two weeks with some awesome friends on Oahu. I found some fun toys waiting for me when I got home. The replacement for my bad JBL sub had arrived, and it tested good. There were also 5 M25 tweeters here, they'll go in my home theater build.

I had the Bronco at my last gig and ran into a few issues in that two weeks. The biggest was that the engine would just randomly shut off, as if I'd just turned the key off. Sometimes it would run for several minutes without an issue, and sometimes only 20 seconds. My hotel was only 1 mile from the venue, so I just dealt with it. One day I was tinkering under the hood and narrowed it down to a bad wiring harness from Holley. It was the adaptor harness to go from their Weatherpak ignition plug to the Ford TFI module.

On the 30 mile drive home from the venue my alternator quit charging. By the time I pulled up to the house my batteries were down to 9.6 volts. I had them on the charger all day today.

And last, my headlights quit working.

Today I spent about six hours working on things. I replaced the bad harness from Holley. The charging issue turned out to be a loose belt. I also replaced the ignition switch as I'd had some other issues that pointed to the original one failing. I also replaced a bad O2 sensor while I was working on it.

I tried to track down the headlight issue, I think it might be a bad switch. I ordered a new one.

As I mentioned in the APL thread last week, I ordered an APL-1, I also bought the Workshop and TDA software. Now if I could just find my UMIK-1 I could start playing with TDA...

I'm gonna be working tomorrow, have Friday off, then leave on Saturday for five more weeks on tour.

For fun, here is a picture I snapped while installing the replacement sub today:

I'm having enough trouble with the factory wiring harness that at this point I'm thinking I should just replace it all with an aftermarket setup. At the moment I'm leaning heavily towards an American Autowire kit.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I have a stack of pelican cases..usually can only take two with me but they are so damn handy!

mic case, also has cables and adapters and a few t bars..even a tiny tabletop mic stand.

clothing case, used to have a projector in it and is quite big once the foam is out.

I have an allen heath mixwizzard 16 3 in one with custom foam, I have to take it out to use it unlike a proper case but I already had the pelican so it works for now.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have a stack of pelican cases..usually can only take two with me but they are so damn handy!

mic case, also has cables and adapters and a few t bars..even a tiny tabletop mic stand.

clothing case, used to have a projector in it and is quite big once the foam is out.

I have an allen heath mixwizzard 16 3 in one with custom foam, I have to take it out to use it unlike a proper case but I already had the pelican so it works for now.
I probably have close to $1k wrapped up in those pelican cases, but they are so worth it. When hitting the road I just use the liftgate to throw them in the back of the truck. Because I work on golf courses, there is no hope of keeping anything clean. Tomorrow I'll be at the shop and I'll unload and reload half my trailer, that alone will leave me with dirty clothes and black hands. The Pelicans keep all that out and keep on going.

Last week I played with tuning a bit, and I found that 1200hz @48db seemed to be the best x-over point between my full size mylar CD2's and the Audax mids. It sounds a little less hollow than 1600hz and doesn't effect the impact or liveliness at all. I'm still in love with the Audax/horn combo.

Big mids for life!

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,355 Posts
We just had a show in Ft Worth last weekend, sorry you missed it.
Keep an eye out for a few over the summer. I am about to start working on the schedule. Bronco sounds like its coming along really well.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I found my UMIK-1 today and played around a little. I Started with TDA with only the right side mid and horn, it looked like this:

It was really easy to get to this with those two speakers:

It took another ten or fifteen minutes or so to get the rest of the system to this:

After TDA I switched over to REW. I ran some sweeps on each side without the subs, made some corrections, then remeasured and came up with this:

My target curve in on there too.

After listening to a handful of songs, i'm quite impressed. I thought before that the Audax mids and horns blended really well, but WOW what a difference today made. The front is more coherent than anything I've put together before. It's a shame I will have to go five weeks without listening to it after tomorrow morning!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I don't have any updates on the Bronco because I haven't been home yet. However, I do have a pile of goodies waiting for me when I get home.

My tour stop got hit by copper thieves last week, they took a bunk of custom built cables with plugs on them that haven't been manufactured since 2006, ouch! My company spent $3100 in replacement cables, plus another $1500 overnight shipping cables and another $250 in small parts so that I could get the show up and running a day late.

Because there is no off the shelf part that fits my needs, I had to cut up a bunch of proprietary cables to make it all fit my needs. The thieves left behind a few Socapex cables that had the connectors I needed, so I started by cutting them up:

Next up was to strip the cables so I could put the right connector on them:

And one at a time twist them together and insert into the new plug:

After getting all three sets in, tighten the strain relief clamp.

Then slide the sleeve over the connector and tighten the screws in the end of the connector:

One completed connector, 5 more to go. You can see the proprietary/irreplaceable plugs on the ground.

Then I just added a bunch of these extensions and climbed up on the back of the video walls to install them.

All this time and money so some meth head could get $50 for "scrap" copper. Even worse, this gear only has to make it through this show and two more and then it's retired permanently.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I arrived home today and opened up this:

I also got a 3in 1out optical switcher with remote and optical cable so I can go right out of my laptop into the APL.

Unfortunately, on the way home my car threw the alternator belt. I know the old v-belt setup wouldn't like a 130 amp alternator, but I didn't expect it to eat up a belt in under 1000 miles. Time to switch over to a gear driven belt system.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
I didn't really get anything done this weekend except for some repairs. I also designed and ordered a new black anodized aluminum dash panel to replace the factory one in the center. Here is the drawing:

The blue lines and text won't actually be printed, the white letters and lines will be printed in white.

The blue horizontal lines are where I'll need to bend it to contour to the dash. The white lines are cutting guides as this service can't do complex shapes, only rectangles.

I also ordered CarlingTech Contura XIV rocker switches from OTRATTW, some with custom labels to fit my needs.

The lower holes are for SwitchCraft panel mount ports.

21 - 40 of 246 Posts