DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
just another guy
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this a couple times on the net, here. But I have yet to see anything beyond some basic tech stories and the website...does anyone have any info or experience with it? Seems like an awesome idea imo, and decent specs. Release date is supposed to be Spring 2012 I guess.

Please discuss.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
It was only a matter of time.

Soon, head unit hardware in cars will be all about the interface. Function will be determined by software.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Thats a great development. The specs look good but not much info on the Audio capabilities front. They have to get an Android based software which is plugin based to get the audio settings in place. But over a good combination of tech.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cool!

But WOW! - This looks even better - has USB 2 ports and mini pci-e, so you could use if purely for control and processing and use a decent quality outboard DACs. SATA ports for your 4TB+ of storage. Possibilities are endless once suitable processing software becomes available. I wonder if it has enough grunt for phase linear FIR filters?

7″ android car pc with intel Atom? | Android car audio

◦Intel graphic media accelerator
◦Processor Intel Atom
◦Graphic: 3,150, supports DirectX 9.0
◦HDD: built-in 8/16GB SSD, no mechanism and completely quiet
◦Expansion: 1 x mini PCI-E and 1 x CF port
◦IDE: 1 x mini IDE
◦SATA: 2 x SATA ports
◦GPS: SIRF-III chip, supports multiple navigation software and map
◦Screen: 7.0 inches touch screen, 800 x 480 pixels, Contrast ratio: 500:, 600mcd/m2
◦Amplifier: 4 x 50W amplifier speaker
◦I/O front: 1 x USB 2.0 and 1 x SD card reader
◦I/O bac:2 x USB 2.0, 2 x RJ45, 1 x VGA, 1 x PS/2, 1 x mic,1 x out audio jack
◦Video input: AV x 2 AV2
◦RAM: 1 x DDR3 1,066/1,333MHz 200 pins SODIMM (maximum 4GB)

Don't know what they cost yet - probably not cheap.

This has got me real excited about what the future holds!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Looking at the specs on atom chips it may be a little short on processing power, but man, you can see where we are heading!

·
Registered
384 Posts
It was only a matter of time.

Soon, head unit hardware in cars will be all about the interface. Function will be determined by software.
Is it silly to hope that they build a decent headunit and lace it with the Android software, rather than pretty much build an Android tablet in a double din size with a couple of pre-outs..?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Is it silly to hope that they build a decent headunit and lace it with the Android software, rather than pretty much build an Android tablet in a double din size with a couple of pre-outs..?
All in good time, I'm sure.

When typical everyday customers walk into the shop expecting to stream audio over bluetooth links in their cars as easily as they once played a CD, you can practically see the market evolving right in front of you.

Do the manufactures notice this trend? Of course they do.

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,367 Posts
Thats a great development. The specs look good but not much info on the Audio capabilities front. They have to get an Android based software which is plugin based to get the audio settings in place. But over a good combination of tech.
IIRC somebody was working on making an Andriod interface with the MiniDSP so you could do it all via USB cable and a tablet. If that is correct this would be an awesome way to hook it straight into the HU and do real time tuning via a HU rather than having to carry another piece of hardware around.

Didnt somebody also say that one of the reasons for the delay of the 3Sixty.3 was and Android and iPad interface?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I think this is a great, but nothing more than a logical evolution in caraudio!

Carputer-enthousiasts have computers with customizable and expandable software and hardware in their cars for years and the main reasons why this didn't become mainstream are:
- the ready-made double-din solutions were/are crap and a custom solution needs a lot of work, probably voiding the warranty of new cars
- boot-times were slow with HDD's and HDD's didn't last very long in a car.
- a lot of configure/maintenance work to let it work properly

This new generation of headunits can be the solution for all this problems:
- A good double-din system is easier to build properly when running a very light-weight OS
- SSD's are getting cheaper, don't mind sitting in a moving car and are fast
- Android is a pretty low-maintenance, easy to configure, easy to expand platform that is perfect for stuff like this (not having to run 50 programs/services at the same time, not having to work with heavy spreadsheets/databases/simulation tools/...), that's why it's so popular on smartphones!

Isabelle

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Major draw back to using an android tablet, or something like this HU is going to be processing. Either create an audio based version of android to control 8 channels of audio.. or give us an optical audio out so there's no digital to analog loss with using external processors.

This is why I have my samsung Q1 running the show. It runs Windows XP (or 7) and allows me to run a standard USB soundcard for optical out (to my H700). The computer is a bit underspec'd to run 8 channels of processing, but 5 channels it can do without a problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Something like this would be great. Get an OBD Bluetooth adapter and stream all your vehicles live data... Set up what graphs or gauges you want to see and you can monitor in real time. Perfect for high performance cars. Switch over to GPS if you want, or audio/video etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That is really cool.

A Tegra based hardware device with Android 2.3

As long as the top of the line heat units dont go above $1k, it will definitely grab a decent market share within a short amount of time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking at the specs on atom chips it may be a little short on processing power, but man, you can see where we are heading!
I don't know which Atom chip they're using, but I built a Windows 7 machine using an Atom 330 (and nvidia ION graphics) and it was quite speedy! If it can handle windows, Android should be a piece of cake!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thats all I need is a head unit that crashes when I'm listening to something.

I'll take function over form. I don't need big/bloated software running the stereo.

I want and will keep the volume knob. And, I don't want any frilly features that are not usable by the majority.

The simplicity of a quality system that sounds great will be replaced by a gimmick for the gee-whiz crowd, like just about every other product out there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I prefer to wait for a minimum I3 based hardware. Atom base CarPC is a very limited and slow. At least he quite cheap.

E7500 RULE!!!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I've wanted to get full android integration for a while, and the major drawback with android and the carpc solution is that pretty much every interface software runs on windows, and unless it's changed in the past couple of months, there's no emulator/virtual machine app to run windows apps on android. To me, one of the biggest bonuses to a carpc is being able to use the tuning software on the fly. Past that, getting software and audio processing power is no problem, it's just getting windows apps to run.

When I can make my source unit an android tablet and connect to a DVD rom drive and use tuning software and rta from the deck, I'll be the first to switch. I'd love to do this.

It may be possible to have a carpc installed, then use a smaller tablet like the HTC one, and have an app that lets you remotely control the carpc. I know there are vlc remote control apps for media, so there may be a way to do it like that, but you'd be doing it over wireless or Bluetooth, which isn't necessarily bad, just not as reliable as a cable. That would be pretty ideal though. The tablet is your main interface for whatever, and you remote connect to tune or update your PC.

There are some Linux setups that get the job done pretty well. With enough horsepower, virtualbox could be used for the windows based apps.

A universal android USB driver seems to be the main discouragement for a lot of integration projects like this.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts