DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So got me another Cherokee, this one in much better shape than the other one I have, so it's going to be a backup DD/beach buggy/mountain trip ride.

Anyone who has ever been in one of these knows they are noisy and the factory speakers suck! But I plan to help that as much as I can.

Really not sure where I wanna go to be honest right yet, definitely want to run a Dayton HO 10 (loved the one I used to have) in the rear cubby hole section, I plan to get a little creative and figure out a way to port it, I think I have just enough room to make it happen.

Just like yobrigidey, I've been eyeballing the HAT Imagines, but still up in the air. Really debating on running passive/active.

Headunit duty I'm torn, I loved my 9887, debating on finding another or getting a CDA-117/H100 combo... but this is a Jeep and not sure I want to spend a ton of money on this setup.

Amp duty... If I could find some 4 channel/mono matching set with the 4 channel that has ability to run active x-overs, then my headunit choices would open up some. Been looking at the Sundown amps as well, their 100.4 allows full x-over capabilities.

Anyways, any suggestions would be great, I think the door depth is fairly shallow up front so midbass suggestions need be fairly shallow (2.5" give or take a little)

where I plan to put the sub/box after some modifications and fabrication...

the project itself. plan to get 4.5" lift, JCR bumpers and some 265/75's after the audio stuff. (red one is my 98 I'm swapping the lift/rubicon wheels off of... got the front swapped out so far)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll go ahead and subscribe to this...I need you to hurry up and finish...that way I'll have it all figured out for me!

I'll get you some pics of the doors opened up in the next couple days. There is NO room in the front doors. And to think I almost bought some peerless 8" midbasses....

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'll go ahead and subscribe to this...I need you to hurry up and finish...that way I'll have it all figured out for me!

I'll get you some pics of the doors opened up in the next couple days. There is NO room in the front doors. And to think I almost bought some peerless 8" midbasses....
ive had my arms buried as deep as i could in my other XJ doors so I know what you mean :laugh: i had to replace the door hinge mechanism and it was broke so a major pita. replaced the regulator too.

it'll be a few months before i finish mine. the cylinder head is cracked, so i gotta get a new head and swap that out, but ill be on 72hr weeks for a few months so no idea when ill actually get installing the audio stuff, at least i can acquire everything i want in the meantime.

the more i think about it, i may just run a passive setup. i'm also considering Image Dynamics

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
72 hour work week, not to be in your business but what is it that you do that requires that? Even when I worked for UPS as a driver, my work week was only 60 hours. Note I can't believe I wrote " only 60 hrs " lol.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
72 hour work week, not to be in your business but what is it that you do that requires that? Even when I worked for UPS as a driver, my work week was only 60 hours. Note I can't believe I wrote " only 60 hrs " lol.
I work as an Instrumentation/Controls-Electrician at a Nuclear Plant. The company I work for owns several different plants, so we get to work "share resources" and go to the other plants during shutdowns/refuel outages and help out. I volunteered to go to one of the other outages in 2012, and it runs right up until my plant outage starts, so itll be bout 3.5 months of 72 hour shifts b/t the two outages.

Normally, I work a 40-50hr week Monday-Thursday (four 10's) at my home plant, plus it's an hour drive from where I live... which makes them 72hr night shifts brutal :laugh: I have 3 weeks of training starting today, which will run me til Christmas :)

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Wow, you deserve all good things for Christmas after that. My best to you and be safe during your drive. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
hahah thanks man! been digging and thinking a little bit (had a long lunch break at work today). i may end up going sealed for simplicity purposes, and b/c I'd like to try some stuff I've never tried before which is fairly budget friendly. but i think im going to stick with a passive setup

What yall's thoughts on...

ID CTX65cs components
IDQ10v3 d2 @ 4 ohms sealed on 400w
ID i5800 (65x4 + 400x1)

or

Alpine Type-r/x comps
Type-r shallow 10 (this would mean a much much cleaner install b/c of its depth)
maybe a pdx5 or mrx amps

still up the in the air about a headunit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts