DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Laid down more MLV in the front driver and passenger floorboard area.
I slid it way up under the factory gray firewall sound barrier:

IMG_2011m.jpg

IMG_2018m.jpg

And finally, over the center hump.
The center piece also wraps around behind the Airbag Control Module, which is barely visible where the pink and blue wires go up under the center dashboard area.

I did think about using one large piece, but that turned out to be too difficult to work with.

IMG_2023m.jpg

By this time, I only had a few sq. ft. of MLV remaining, so I decided to use it on the right-rear underseat area, since the exhaust and muffler runs under the truck on that side.

IMG_2024m.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
While I'm waiting on a new mono amp for the subwoofers, I have gotten a few more odd and end things done.

After fully installing and mounting my original home-made amp board, I wasn't happy with it for the following reasons:
a) wasn't wide enough -> needs to cover full width of rear wall
b) too thick -> limited distance to which rear seats could be raised
c) too many holes drilled in rear wall

Because of my dissatisfaction, I made another amp board which has addressed my concerns:
IMG_2026m.jpg

I filled in those screw holes that I used to hold the first amp board to the wall.
To hold the new amp mounting board in place, I bought a 15' roll of Industrial Strength Velcro, and applied it in large strips.
I may still place a few screws along the top, as that is the end that will tend to pull away from the wall over time with the added weight of amplifiers.
IMG_2027m.jpg

Getting a big 1/0 gauge power cable into the cabin couldn't be easier on the Dodge Ram, if you have an automatic transmission.
On the firewall is a "clutch delete" sealing plate. This plate is easy to remove and gives you a large hole to route the cable.
The plate is made of plastic, so it's easy to drill a hole for the power cable.
To seal the cable, I found a 1-1/8" OD x 5/8" ID robber grommet at my local hardware store.
It's a tight fit for the 1/0 gauge cable, but will keep the rain and bugs out.
IMG_2047m.jpg IMG_2048m.jpg IMG_2050m.jpg IMG_2053m.jpg

One more item that might he helpful to others is this edge trim.
I was originally using Tesa tape to cover the circumference of the holes that lead into the rear under-seat storage area. But wasn't happy with that solution for the long term,
After some web browsing, I found this 1/16" edge trim, which worked perfectly. Very flexible.
Edge Trim Black Small, Fits 1/16" (10 Feet):Amazon:Home Improvement
IMG_2029m.jpg IMG_2031m.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Lots accomplished but haven't had much motivation to update the thread. I'm really not much of a fabricator, and there are a ton of talented folks doing amazing work on their installs, so I get it that there's nothing special on my build.

I decided to go with 6x9's in the front doors. Less hassle and I can seal right up to the factory hole.
I went with the CDT Audio ES-0690 Gold woofers:
CDT Audio ES-0690 Gold

These are the full depth version with 30oz magnet rather than the slimline. There are no clearance issues with the window coming down :)

IMG_2103m.jpg

I added foam gasket tape to the speaker mount surface, and also bought some Roadkill 6x9 rings with rear pad to go behind each speaker:
IMG_2130m.jpg IMG_2167m.jpg

I had to clip a few plastic tabs off of the factory 6x9 plastic mount ring, but that was it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
For the rear doors, I settled on the Audiofrog GS62 6-3/4" 2-way speakers. I knew I wanted a full range speaker there, and these made the most sense for my target use.

IMG_2068m.jpg IMG_2069m.jpg IMG_2076m.jpg

The included mounting adapters have like 15 holes and various tabs, but none align with the three factory mount holes.
There was precisely ONE orientation where the adapter holes were in the right area, but at a shorter radius. So I had to drill out and elongate the holes.
Also added speaker gasket tape to the speakers:
IMG_2135m.jpg

One ding for Audiofrog is that the speaker terminals were both the large size (~2.00 mm). My other speakers have the large +/small - terminals. Minor annoyance.
I wish this was standardized. I really like what CDT Audio does on some of their speakes: each terminal has both sizes!
IMG_1746.JPG

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I also changed course and sprung for a new amplifier to drive the JL Audio Stealthboxwith dual 10" subs (2 ohm).
I quickly honed in on the Zapco Z-1KD II:
Z-1KD II | ZAPCO

IMG_2118m.jpg IMG_2120m.jpg IMG_2121m.jpg

Where to put it... well, my mains amplifier (coming up next) is big, and I also have a big old school 10 farad capacitor.
After trying several mounting locations for both the cap and sub amp, I will mount the amp under the rear seat, with the Capacitor mounted to the right rear wall.
IMG_2151m.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The Zapco Z-150.6 AP will be responsible for handling my main audio needs.
Channels 1/2 drive the CDT Audio tweeter and midrange through a CDT Audio passive crossover (3-way, but not using the woofer output).
Channels 3/4 drive the Front 6x9 door speakers.
Channels 5/6 drive the Rear 6.75" Audiofrog coaxial speakers.

The amplifier would really only fit in one location on the rear amp mounting board, due to brackets on the rear 60/40 split bench seat.
As for which end of the amp goes left vs right, as i mentioned in the opening post, my main goal was sound quality, with no noise or interference.
So all speaker and rca signal cables are routed to avoid ever crossing over or running near any significant current wires. I only allowed RCA to cross speaker wire at 90degree angle at one point.

IMG_2188m.jpg IMG_2186m.jpg IMG_2187m.jpg

Blue Jeans Cable BJC-LC1 RCA cables used for all channels from the head unit.

Power is 1/0 gauge from the battery to the capacitor bank.
I found these distribution blocks that have built-in mini-ANL fuses, so that helped save some space!
Both amps get 4-gauge power to the distribution block.
Also wired up a 12V relay going to the remote turn-on terminal strip.

IMG_2159m.jpg IMG_2152m.jpg IMG_2160m.jpg

I'll clean up the wires once i'm ready to button down the rear area and install the sub.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks for the feedback - glad to share if it can help others! Eager to hear how your install goes.

I installed the Stealthbox subwoofer (dual 10") and temporarily mounted the rear seats to see how everything fits.
IMG_2201m.JPG IMG_2202m.JPG

I knew this a bit earlier when I dry fitted everything, but I will be unable to fully raise the lower (horizontal) part of the rear seats because of the way the hinge pivots the lower end of the upper (vertical) seat closer towards the rear wall when raised. The right rear seat will raise a bit higher because the Zapco amp isn't as thick as the Capacitor behind the left rear seat.
It's not really a big deal because my under-seat storage area is gone anyway :) Just have to stop unknowing persons who would try to forcefully raise the seats all the way as something might get dented (Z-150.6 AP amp, Capacitor, and/or rear wall).

However, the upper seats will fold down completely flat against the lower seats with no issues.

Everything fits behind the upper part of the rear seats:
IMG_2199m.JPG IMG_2200m.JPG

Note in the first photo that all the amps and wires are hidden from view, which was another concern of mine, as I don't want to "advertise" that I have expensive stuff inside.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts