DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I intend to run the dayton reference 7 inchers as midbasses but my amp only puts out 75x2 at 4 ohms meaning Ill only have 37 watts per mid at 8 ohms. wil this be adequate or should I look into a bigger amp, or maybe a 2nd one of these and bridge them to run one midbass each??

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,946 Posts
King Nothing said:
I intend to run the dayton reference 7 inchers as midbasses but my amp only puts out 75x2 at 4 ohms meaning Ill only have 37 watts per mid at 8 ohms. wil this be adequate or should I look into a bigger amp, or maybe a 2nd one of these and bridge them to run one midbass each??

I would look to get something to does atleast 80- 120 rms at 8 ohms for the midbass and us the amp you have for the tweeters. With more power on hand it helps keep the system linear at all volumes. You wouldn't want to run out of power when you want to crank the system and you don't want to loss detail at lower volumes.

Hopes this helps.

Mark

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
See if you can find a Diamond D5 600.4 at ebay... they're going for very good prices these days... and bridge it to the mids, it does around 180w per ch at 8ohms when bridged...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
oh forgot to mention, with the Diamond D5 you can do bandpass with the internal crossover too... ;)

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,946 Posts
King Nothing said:
80-120 RMS at 8 ohms is a pretty damn big amp.....
Not really. Just find a nice 4x50 rms amp and bridge it as 300z stated about the PG and you are set.

·
Registered
693 Posts
my ca18's are getting less than 20 watts. ive said it before and im gonna say it again......u do not need 100+ watts on your front stage. a quality 50 x 4 amp is more than adequate. for those of u that dont beleive it....u have never heard clean power.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Aren't those Arc amps underated by quite a bit though? (I assume you are refering to your 4050CXL) In Ricks recent for sale post on ECA, he stated that his XXK4050's were benched at around 115 watts rms per channel.

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,946 Posts
minitruck_freq said:
my ca18's are getting less than 20 watts. ive said it before and im gonna say it again......u do not need 100+ watts on your front stage. a quality 50 x 4 amp is more than adequate. for those of u that dont beleive it....u have never heard clean power.

Well, I agreed with you up to a point. Yes it will drive it fine and sound great doing it. I will say this also again, if you want to play it loud and stay clean doing it you need power, clean power. Believe me, I have listen to and built a lot of cars with small amount of power and they was some of the best sounding cars around. but 90% of them could not match the pure dynamics of the cars with more power on hand, that was at the same level of build quality.

Now to get to that real world/live music reference level you ethier need power and a drive that can handle it or high efficiency driver with clean power. You can only turn up the dail and get a higher volume, staying clean while doing it until your amp runs out of reserve power. And if your amp gives up (clip) before your speakers reach their limits your in trouble. Also with the extra power on hand it allows you the run your amp gains at a lower level, helping to keep the system as noise free as possible. That also means your amp runs cooler also.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying you have to over power your speaker by 50% or anything. I'm just saying not have enough is just as bad as have to much in most cases. As the old saying goes, It better to have and not need it, than to not have it and need. If you have the power you can always control it, but you can't go fishing in the desert.

Mark

·
Registered
530 Posts
ive seen many reviews on the older arc audio amps ,all impressive,for instance the older 2050 rated at 50wpch produced just under 80wpch into 4 ohm load under 1 percent thd,underrated a bit, clean cont. power ratings . an extra 20-30- wpch makes very small change in overall output with music,as far as minitrucks 20 clean watts i think the veh itself has too many variables to say that 20w is enough to drive the speakers loud enough to suit all listeners tastes-doorsize,car width, cabin size, -speaker location on-off axis and listeners tastes are the determining factor. but if your happy with 20-or so watts driving your mids you save yourself alot of money in amps :D everyones different thats what its all about! :)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
minitruck_freq said:
How low do you let them go?

I've said it in a few other threads now, but I've ran my Xtant bridged and unbridged to my RS225's, and it's obvious. Now, it's a different driver, and I have them [email protected] which might be dumb since the roll-off is probably way higher then that (too lazy to make a different module anyways) - but regardless, there is NO clipping, or distort, no problems AT ALL at ANY volume when it's bridged. With them getting 25-35W, I cannot go past ~65-70% volume without the amp clipping and the mids distorting BAD.

And it's clean power - I prefered the Xtant over a few other amps I tried. Maybe when Ding (ECA) is done benching my ARC 4150, I can try that on the mids and tweets running 4 channel.

I dunno, that's just my situation. :confused:

-aaron

·
Registered
96 Posts
minitruck_freq said:
I pretty much said the same thing in the other amp thread. I realized I have never used 8 ohm drivers before though. Any thoughts if a 50x4 at 4 ohm amp like a Precision Power DCX 300.4 would be enough to power the front stage? Obviously the tweeters won't be sucking as much power as the mids so does some of the headroom left over from driving the easy channels get saved for the mids? I really don't want twice the power (plus more money) if I don't need it, my electrical system won't be able to take it in the long run. Plus, I plan to power a class D mono amp (way in the future) for the subs as well.

·
Registered
989 Posts
cam2Xrunner said:
Aren't those Arc amps underated by quite a bit though? (I assume you are refering to your 4050CXL) In Ricks recent for sale post on ECA, he stated that his XXK4050's were benched at around 115 watts rms per channel.

Disregard that, I misread, that was @ 2 ohm :blush:

·
Registered
524 Posts
dodgerblue said:
As far as minitrucks 20 clean watts i think the veh itself has too many variables to say that 20w is enough to drive the speakers loud enough to suit all listeners tastes-doorsize,car width, cabin size, -speaker location on-off axis and listeners tastes are the determining factor. but if your happy with 20-or so watts driving your mids you save yourself alot of money in amps :D everyones different thats what its all about! :)
I am by no means a car audio expert, but I have to agree with Dodgerblue until someone proves me wrong. I have 75W from a US Amps 5600 (which I thought was pretty clean power) going to my Seas Lotus 6.5's and that is not enough. But the reasons it is not enough is that occasionally I like to listen at near concert levels and my car is noisy. (Aftermarket stuff...) I am assuming that if my car was new and quiet, I would not need as much power. I wished I only needed 20W for the mids. Man, would that be cheap! :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
hey arc,the older 4150 cxlr,tested in april 02-tested at 98 wpch with 12.5v 4 ohm stereo,4 by 164 2 ohms and 2 by 328 4 ohm bridged,with 14.4 power went up 72 watts total when bridged into 2 channels ,

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
dodgerblue said:
hey arc,the older 4150 cxlr,tested in april 02-tested at 98 wpch with 12.5v 4 ohm stereo,4 by 164 2 ohms and 2 by 328 4 ohm bridged,with 14.4 power went up 72 watts total when bridged into 2 channels ,
You have a link to that at all - wouldn't mind checking it out. That's what I have is a CXL. On the arc website they link to a pdf magazine review and it did [email protected] and then ~360 bridged I believe it was @1% THD.

-aaron

·
Registered
530 Posts
hey arc no i dont have a link for it it was in my april 02 car stereo and electronics mag.btw yes with 14.4 it was tested at 101 wpch 4 ohm stereo,regulated power supply,if you need i can fax the review over ,great amp-came very close to purchasing one,and yes it did 366 wpch bridged with 14.4v all under 1 percent thd :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts