DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again, i apologize for such a long gap between install logs. I had my first born child a few weeks ago and that REALLY put a damper on free time in between working on cars :)

But with a short break this weekend, i can finally sit down and knock out some logs.

This car actually was completed a coupla month ago, and is another redo of a previous install. unlike the other Camaro job i posted recently, this one was more of an upgrade in sound quality, rather than a repair of a hack job.

lets get to the goals:

1. achieve a good level of sound quality

2. integrate the Mosconi AMAS BT streaming device and DSP controller into the design

3. maintain the original trunk appearance of JL stealthbox and tucked out of way amps on the rear deck

lets get started by taking a quick look at the car:

first up is the Mosconi RC mini DSP controller i custom mounted into his cup holder. in reality, this was the only place i could house the controller that was within easy reach and didnt involve cutting into something. so here is the end result:

some quick build pics of the mount. first, in order to fit the controller physically into the cupholder, i took it apart and chopped down the housing:

then, i mae a mounting plate using mdf and backfilled with filler:

wrapped that in black vinyl:

and secured the controller to it:

this then simply press fits into the cupholder:

moving onto the front stage, which is a set of Morel Elate 603 3 way components. the entire door was fully sound proofed with Focal BAM XXXL composite damper, and the Elate midbass was secured by Jesse:

Jesse also applied a lot of STP CLD damper to the inside of the door cards:

He then repeated the same process on the passenger side:

leading right up to the install date, there was still a lot of back and forth between the customer and myself about whether to do a 2 way or a 3 way. he really wanted to keep the interior stock looking, but at the same time, wanted the advantage associated with a dedicated midrange. in the end, we decided on a three way configuration with an effort to try an minimize its obtrusion.

so this is waht we came up with, by utilizing the natural shape of the pillar, i put the more directional tweeter upfront and lower, and gave it a bit of a backward angle, and did the midrange more off axis and recessed. the result is a pillar that doesnt really stick out too much.

Jesse did all the molding and sanding and i did the upholstery. I think he did an awesome job for his first set of three way pillar molds :)

a few build pics of the pillars:

first, the pillars were rough sanded, holes cut, and the two mounting baffles aimed and secured:

then jesse pulled mold cloth across the shape, applied resin, waited for it to cure, and then reinforced them from the inside with a filler/resin mixture:

then, several processes of filler and sanding later, he got them to be smooth and blended together:

I then took dash matching black vinyl and wrapped them:

and the Morel CDM880 midrange and the MT25 tweeter were installed:

next, Jesse remove all the previous wiring from the car and ran new ones, ziptied and bundled every few inches down the two sides of the car:

one major source of rattle on this generation of camaro is the rear deck, so we first took the rear deck 6x9s apart, cut the cone out of the woofer, and then resecured the top bridge mount high frequency driver. this method was first taught to me by our member Copter when we did his camaro...and benefit is that it allows bass to pass into the cabin while maintaining the oem backup proximity beeps:

we then applied some cld on the rear metal deck, but most importantly, a crap load (yes the technical term) of STP foam barrier on the rear deck cover, as to decouple the two panels:

and finally, we adressed the other major source of rattle on the rear deck by applying a felt barrier on the top back edge of the rear deck cover where it meets the windshield:

moving onto the trunk. two more pics of the wiring bundle as it enters the trunk and is organized by jesse to factory looms:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
finally, the finished trunk...and as mentioned within the goals, this was to be very simple and functional. His original setup was a JL stealthbox with a single amp bolted to the bottom side of the trunk lid, we pretty much followed the same theme except now there are two amps and a dsp bolted up there.

so this is the normal view, and the jl stealthbox sits on the driver side:

duck down a little and you can see the amp/dsp rack. Jesse fabricated a baffle out of mdf, wrapped it in vinyl and bolted it to the rear deck using rivet nuts. then, two arc audio XDiv2 amps along with a Mosconi 6to8v8 DSP was secured to them.

a 1100.5 powers the midrange and tweeter with 150 watts a piece, and sends 500 watts to the sub, while a 600.4 is bridged on the midbass and sends each 300 watts rms.

it is really hard to get a good angle to show the amp rack, so here are a whole bunch of pics from all around, hopefully you will get a good impression of it:

four pics of the build process.

first, this is the board that jesse came up with, before and after vinyl:

then jesse did as much prewiring as possible on the bench:

and then the amps and dsp was removed, the plate bolted up, and the components remounted and wires connected.

so thats it, a pretty simple install fabrication wise with a good bit of focus on sound quality.

I have to say this is probably the best sounding camaro we have done. the imaging is nice and high with very good center. width is around the pillars and depth is very good. but tonality, this to me really sounded good...natural, smooth with a lot of midbass impact and extension. and i am not sure if its this car in particular or the sound proofing we did on this particular instance, but this thing had noticeably less rattles than some of the other camaros in the past :)

So thats it for this one, onto the next log! :)

Cheers,

Bing

·
Registered
218 Posts
Looks good as always. Great job.

How do you feel dome midrange drivers compare to cones, other than the limited FR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Beautiful.. Always interesting to see these deck installs. You ever worry about the amp weight pulling it down? I assume just countersunk screws into those beautiful starts-with-an-R goodies installed in the deck. Prolly #10?

And yes.. Newbie kids will definitely cut into other time and focus - related tasks, won't they. hehehe :)

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Now see you wouldn't have sleepless nights if you were back in NJ. I would watch the baby while you worked in the garage on my cars, I mean the cars lol. Congrats on what I am sure is a beautiful addition to your family sir. :)

·
Registered
5,676 Posts

This is the beauty of amps with connections all on one side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts