DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been a long time coming and I'm extremely happy to finally be under way with it. I had been wanting to get rid of my G35x and get something that was better on gas and go back to a Honda and this satisfied my needs. I got the Civic for a crackhead price and couldn't pass it up. I will point it out right away that this is going to be a long thread. Alright on to the equipment!

Head unit: Addzest HX-D1/MRM

It has been heavily modified by Matt R. Bass/treble, fade/balance am/fm tuner have been eliminated. Volume control has been changed. All coupling caps in the signal path have been removed as well as some op-amps. Remaining op-amps have been swapped for analog device models. I might have missed something?

The signal from the head unit will be going into a another custom Matt R piece. One of his custom line drivers that will convert the RCA's to symbilink cable as well as boosting the signal to feed the amp powering the front stage. I'm only using the line driver for the front stage. The sub channel is just going to be using a standard Zapco converter.

Amps: Zapco DC1000.4 & Zapco DC750.2

The 1000.4 will amp will be powering the front components. I have yet to find a 750.2 but when I do one channel will power a single 15" and I'll have an extra channel for future expansion.

Front Stage: JBL 660GTi components

I've been going back and forth on using the supplied crossover and using the amp for the EQ and time alignment. I'm leaning more of leaving the crossover out and using the 1000.4 for all. Nothing is set in stone as of yet.

As for speaker placement for the front stage. The mids will be down in the kick panels and I'm leaning more yo putting the tweeters down there as well. I'm going to get everything else done first and then mess around with speaker placement.

Here are a few shots of some components from the GTi set. The x-over is damn big as you can see!

Sub stage: Single AE IB15A

Obviously this will be mounted infinite baffle using the DC750.2 for power. If everything works out as planned the sub will be mounted to a fully granite baffle in the trunk. I'm crossing my fingers on this happening to just add another dimension to the build but if it doesn't work out then I've got something else planned that you don't see much.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now to the fun stuff, Sound deadening and tearing everything apart! Yesterday I managed to take apart the whole interior save the dash and headliner. I only had 6 sheets of Rammat left so I used them up on some various places on the floor and such. I'm pretty sure I have enough MLV and ensolite to do the floor but nothing else so that will be ordered as needed. I've got 2 gallons of spectrum to spray the outside wheel wells front and back as well as the entire floor.

Later in the week I'm removing the front sub frame from the car to allow the bottom half of the fire wall to be sprayed with spectrum. The exhaust is being taken off and all the shields and such to allow the underside to be coated. I'm also going to have to remove the gas tank eventually so the area above the tank will be getting coated as well.

Below are some shots with the interior removed from yesterday and a couple more with some deadener in various places.

This is where I'm at for the next couple days. I plan on spraying the underside on Saturday since I'm off that day and I can let the car sit for the weekend and let the spectrum dry properly. Don't worry I'll get pictures with the car with everything removed.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hold up... GRANITE baffle for the IB wall?
Yep. I told you I had a few things up my sleeve! Getting it isn't a problem. Finding the right person to cut it is.

The plan is to make a frame from angle iron that bolts into the trunk area around the same area you have yours at. The granite will then bolt into the frame. My reason for removing the gas tank is so I can drill holes for riv-nuts in the trunk floor without going into the tank so the frame can be removed if need be.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Those IB15 with the machined basket look amazing and I'm terribly interested in seeing it in a granite baffle! Can't wait to see more.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Interesting. I have an AE SBP15 - similar subs, so I'm interested in seeing what you have to say about yours. Also, is yours 4 or 8ohm?

Looking forward to see the whole build, especially if you can pull off the granite baffle.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have quite a bit of experience working granite, marble and other stones. You are going to have a few problems. Granite is brutally hard but also brittle. Granite has very little if any ability to flex without breaking. Even in moving a slab it has to remain upright because it will break under its own weight. This means it will be very difficult to install in an IB location without it breaking (*but not impossible).
The second is that you can not drill holes close to an edge. By nature of the material and its properties will cause the holes intended to retain the driver to 'blow out' as they are too close to the driver cutout hole.

I HIGHLY recommend that do not use granite as your IB baffle. I do agree it would look awesome and have toyed with the idea of using stone in audio install as well. It is my suggestion that use a sheet of .75 birch plywood that would retain the drivers and use a granite slab cut to the OD of the driver frames to flush mount the subs. This way the plywood will support the subs and have a solid mounting substrate for the stone. From the appearance you wouldnt know if it was solid or not (you could do front and back).

These are just suggestions, take them or leave them. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

~JH

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have quite a bit of experience working granite, marble and other stones. You are going to have a few problems. Granite is brutally hard but also brittle. Granite has very little if any ability to flex without breaking. Even in moving a slab it has to remain upright because it will break under its own weight. This means it will be very difficult to install in an IB location without it breaking (*but not impossible).
The second is that you can not drill holes close to an edge. By nature of the material and its properties will cause the holes intended to retain the driver to 'blow out' as they are too close to the driver cutout hole.

I HIGHLY recommend that do not use granite as your IB baffle. I do agree it would look awesome and have toyed with the idea of using stone in audio install as well. It is my suggestion that use a sheet of .75 birch plywood that would retain the drivers and use a granite slab cut to the OD of the driver frames to flush mount the subs. This way the plywood will support the subs and have a solid mounting substrate for the stone. From the appearance you wouldnt know if it was solid or not (you could do front and back).

These are just suggestions, take them or leave them. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

~JH
Thank you for the suggestions Jonny. I had already asked another forum member about using the granite and gave a few pointers on top of yours. I was planning on mounting the slab on a piece of birch ply. Holes would be drilled through the granite and threaded inserts in the birch thereby compressing the granite between the basket of the sub and birch.

My only other concern is with the flexing of the car chassis with the frame idea. With it being bolted to the car in such a way that if when going through a corner or something the granite would break? I may be over thinking that but I need to think of this stuff when tackling something foreign like this.

Thank you for the suggestions and I will definitely send you a question if I have one.

Ally- it is a 4 ohm IB15.

·
18,618 Posts
Are you concerned about the weight?

My advice: start looking in to a camber kit now. You'll need it. The civic has negative camber from factory. When the trunk is not loaded its not bad. Start adding weight, though, and it gets ugly. Speaking from experience You'll rnever get even tire wear.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
FWIW
I would suggest that everything be mounted to baltic birch ply and bond the slightly smaller piece of granite to the plywood as stiffener/mass loading device. This way, the ply would provide "give" when the chassis flexes and there would be no danger of fracture due to screw-holes and such.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you concerned about the weight?

My advice: start looking in to a camber kit now. You'll need it. The civic has negative camber from factory. When the trunk is not loaded its not bad. Start adding weight, though, and it gets ugly. Speaking from experience You'll rnever get even tire wear.
I've been looking at coil-over kits to compensate for the drop after putting what will be close to a 100lb slab of hard stone in the trunk and of course the camber kit will be ordered. Add the weight of the amps, birch ply and frame work and it gets up there. I had a 50lb bag of sand blasting material that I threw in the general area where the baffle will go and It lowered the car around 1/4" if not a little more. It does have me a little concerned but will see.

Nothing to report on today. I had a few complications at work that kept me from doing what I needed to do underneath the car in preparation for the spectrum. I will definitely start it tomorrow though and I'll be sure to get photo's.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nothing to really report on today but I did get some time to clean up the underside of the car with some degreaser.

I did find a couple places locally that have water jets so I'm not as worried about finding someone to cut the stone. Now I just need to pick out a color of granite. Suggestions?

When I got home this was waiting on me! My DC1000.4 with stacking hardware. That's why I'm now looking for a 750.2 or another 1000.4. Thank you Kirk!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Those are my dream components.....would like to hear your reviews on them when installed

Sent from my MotoA953 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
That granite sub wall is really thinking outside the box. How much are you estimating it to weigh though? Maybe its not as heavy as I'm thinking but I always try to keep weight down in car installs.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got started on spraying the underside this afternoon. I sprayed degreaser on the underside 3 times and scrubbed the bottom side of the car 3 times just to make sure I was starting with a good base. I then had to tape up and the things like cables, brake lines, Evap lines and such up so I wouldn't get any spectrum on them. I also applied little pieces of tape over any threaded holes. As you can also see I removed the charcoal canister and taped up all the lines and hoses.

I decided not to remove the front sub-frame right now. This may change by Saturday when I'm going to spend the entire day working on the underside.

A word of caution on using spectrum! Make sure you have some way to regulate the air pressure. I thought I could just work the trigger and be good. On a couple of occasion I fully pulled it and got splattered with the stuff. At least it cleans up easy! I'm also doing this at work where we have 2 compressors with 160 gallon tanks.

Here are a few shots of the vital areas taped up.

Underside looking forward.

Left front wheel well.

Right rear wheel well.

I still had a little time to try this out before I left and shot a little on the right rear and underside of the trunk area. It was just some 1 light coat and I did miss a few spots. I was very surprised how far just one bottle's worth went and I had to dump some back in the gallon jug.

Bottom of Trunk

Right rear wheel well

Another angle of right rear wheel well.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Very nice, I just did under my trunk with the stuff, and I second that, trigger control is not enough. It has a habit of bouncing back at you since it comes out so thick.

Really looking forward to the granite sub build, as someone who used concrete, steel bbs, and fiberglass for his kick panels.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts