DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried dozens of products over the years, most of them are to messy, to cost prohibitive, not enough effect for the effort, etc, etc.

Back when I built my Tacoma I used a very expensive two part expanding foam to fill all the pillars, roof "beams", all the voids in the cabin I could find. It was messy and time consuming but the divendends were worth it, the truck is till as solid as a rock.

Cost was insane, $200 wholesale.

I just bought $300 worth of pillar foam, 8 tubes, two part, and a gun. Once it arrived I realized it was not going to be anywhere near enough, would need at least a dozen more tubes at $28 each, whew!

So I brought out a can of one part foam I have had for sometime that I kept forgetting to test. It works very very well and the cost is resonable. I ordered a case of the largest size in a gun application can and went to work.

Still dang messy and very time consuming but the results will be far worth it for those that want to go all out to have their rides as quiet as possible. Plus, if you are building an audio comp/race car with a spot welded unibody the car will stand up to the rigors of racing far longer and handle better, if the foam is stiff enough.

I am doing the upper voids in the car, upper pillars, roof structure, etc, and the hatch surround, with the more expensive pilla foam to test it out as well since I already have it. If not that much better, if at all, then I can take back the extra tubes luckily.

We covered the rear wheel wells about 1.5" deep inside the car, fairly easy to do, not messy there, sure solid now!! Much easier than liquid deadeners, I just wanted to try it out there, normally I mat them then put ensolite over that with great results, this seems to possibly be better yet. Only thing is the surface is not going to absorb as much ambient noise as ensolite, I will just add some patches here and there in the area for that purpose.

If the car was going to have a full cage I would not do the foam, would not be needed for racing. Since this car is going to have mulitple uses we do not want a cage but will have an SCCA approved roll bar which does very little for structural support, why we are using the foam, besides the huge advantage for the audio system.

Here is the foam

I just ordered a couple of cases to test out the market a bit, anyone doing an all out SQ or even SPL comp install that is interested in trying this out just send me an email and I just may hook you up:)

Have a great weekend!
Rick

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
NOTICE:

This is NOT a replacement for the majority of sound deadeners we use, it is an additional product that works well in areas we cannot easily access inside the car, and the chassis from under neath as required. Readily accessable interior side of wheel wells being an exception

One more thing I have done is fill the area above the wheel wells and between them and the body, this effective seals off the rear of the car from the front, on a two door car and possibly on some four door cars as well. I did this in multiple session so it could full expand and cure between layers to prevent warp damage to the body, it worke just fine and these are areas I could not possibly reach any other way.

The offer to give some cans out is only for those with a legitimate SQL or SPL competition system install so if interested email me and let me know who you are, what you are doing and when, then I will decide.

[email protected]

·
Registered
200 Posts
I thought expanding foam was a good transmitter of noise... are you using this as a sealant?

Because the standard home depot expanding foam that becomes pretty hard, I would think would work like a solid and transmit the noise...

Everything I had ever heard was against expanding foam, and something that wouldn't develop a solid structure would be better.

By what process does this foam work?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
One of the guys on Team Image Dynamics used expanding foam to build his door pods. He laid fglass over it for rigidity. I will post that link and/or pics as soon as I find the website again. He has placed fairly well with his car at comps. He used a 2-part foam.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I believe on JL's website they have a PDF that shows them building a door panel with two-part foam as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts