DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
if the lcy ribbons require so little power, why couldnt you just run them off the head unit? or is it just better to have dedicated amp channels to run them? Also which SEAS Midbass would you recommend to run them with in a two way set up? I have a GMC Yukon and would put the ribbons in kick panels firing up towards the middle of the car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
yeah, that would be plenty. I wouldn't use head unit power cause an external amp would supply much cleaner power, as well as give you more options with crossovers and gain settings.

As for midbass, I would personnaly buy the Seas G18's if you are set on Seas. I have the L18's and they sound great, but I think the G18's would be much better suited for a 2 way. If you can afford the excels that would be awsome, but they might be difficult to tune in for you, depending on your setup. The excels arn't for everyone.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
They all measure up pretty much identically, with minor variations in the top end response. This shouldn't surprise anyone, since they are the same tweeter and you can swap the faceplates between them pretty easily.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Casedot said:
yeah, that would be plenty. I wouldn't use head unit power cause an external amp would supply much cleaner power, as well as give you more options with crossovers and gain settings.

As for midbass, I would personnaly buy the Seas G18's if you are set on Seas. I have the L18's and they sound great, but I think the G18's would be much better suited for a 2 way. If you can afford the excels that would be awsome, but they might be difficult to tune in for you, depending on your setup. The excels arn't for everyone.
hard to tune the excels in what way,,? I have a set of w18ex's on the way and already have some LCY 130's sitting in my kitchen. they will bve run off of a eclipse 8454 and can be crossed on them or on my diamond/esoteric 7 series amps

my question is what equipment do i need to tune them right. I know they arent plug and play but what will I need to properly test and tune them,,, I dont mind spending the money to get a EQ if its nessecary but this is my first DIY job at matching speakers I have run active before but never like this and wouldnt even know where to start for proper tuning,,, any advice?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Eclipse CD8454 is pretty flexible in the tuning category for a HU. I say don't do any Eq'ing until you have your gains, speaker alignment, and crossovers set. Then read up on how to us the EQ and you should be OK. If you are still unhappy there are tons of options for external EQs out there if you want to keep the Eclipse. If you want to try something else there is the P9 combo and the Alpine HU and processors.

·
Registered
103 Posts
the eclipse should be fine for you, they are pretty versatile. What i mean is if you plan on just dropping them in without having an eq on your deck they might not work for you. They deffinitely need some attention as far as the eq curve. IMO, the most important thing you can do to get them to sound their best is properly install them like Npdang.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.