DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Any DIY subs that "bump" ?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  racerraul 
#1 ·
Well, my girlfriend is looking for some new subwoofers soon, and while she does appreciate a sub that sounds clean, she also likes to "bump" around sometimes.

The Drake project featured in PE did 108db playing music (I'm assuming). What's this equate to with cabin gain? Are the Dayton RS subwoofers capable of getting loud at all, or are there any other similarly priced DIY subwoofers that can bump around in a smallish enclosure?

I guess the only reason I'd look to DIY is for quality to price ratio over the mainstream brands, although I'd assume most of the home drivers require more fanagling and box.

TIA

-aaron

#3 ·
the daytons can get pretty damn loud in the right box with decent power on them.... the titanic's come to mind when i used them they rocked...

#4 ·
racerraul said:
Define "capable of getting loud at all"... Cause quite frankly just about any sub can get loud...

Is there a specific SPL # the girlfriend needs to have to consider the system loud enough to her standards? ;)
I think +130db with music sounding clean would make her giddy. :cool:

Oh ya that's the other thing, thanks for reminding me zfactor... lol, but why all the hype over the RS subs when theyre only marginally cheaper then the Titanics?

-aaron

#5 ·
not sure myself i like the titanics they sound great and yes the rs is only a little cheaper?? not sure myself...

#6 ·
I think it pretty much comes down to your enclosure alignment. For a car, where space is at a premium, the RS HO sub is pretty hard to beat. 1.5 cubes tuned to 25 hz... that's pretty nice. Titanics take quite a bit more enclosure volume.

#7 ·
ArcL100 said:
I think +130db with music sounding clean would make her giddy. :cool:

Oh ya that's the other thing, thanks for reminding me zfactor... lol, but why all the hype over the RS subs when theyre only marginally cheaper then the Titanics?

-aaron
I believe the RS sub is a much higher quality, more musical subwoofer. It's price is lower because it's made overseas while I believe the Titanic is made in the US.

#10 ·
It isn't too hard to achieve 130db with a single 12". Most can do this. Any pair of 10's should easily get past that mark.

I think the Titanic & Reference subs to be close in performance in the sub 70hz range. The main differences are:

RS
- Advantage in "measureable distortion" in exchange for lower XMAX
- Capable up to 300hz... maybe 500hz and sound damn good doing it. IMO the Ultimate midbass driver if you can make it fit up front.

Titanic
- Advantage in XMAX in exchange of higher "measureable distortion"
- Not capable of playing as high as the Reference.

"measureable" is the key word here... I think it would take a highly trained ear, and some pretty revealing reference material to hear the difference in the lower frequencies.

I think the obvious value leader to be the Reference...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.