DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm a noob here and would very much apreciate your help. I'm thinking installing a good sound system in my 96 camaro. I went to a couple local mobile audio shop and find all the info they give very confusing. They all seem to say that they are the best and the other one i went to didn't know nothing. So I am asking you. I'm looking for good sound quality at a fair price. I was thinking of 6.5 comps in the front doors with 6.5 woofers in the back seat panels driven by a 4 channel amp. And a 10 inch sub in the r/h hole in the trunk (don't want to lose the whole trunk) driven by either a mono or 2 channel amp. I have a good kenwook KDC-X489 H/U, it's old but i'm quite satisfier with it. I took a look around the net and configured something like this: mb quart dsc2150, mb quart dsc480, mb quart dsh216, mb quart pvi164, mb quart dwh252. Tell me what you think, there is no particular reason i went with MB Quart all the way, just seems easier that way. I Think that's a good quality company, i mean, the prices in the stores and the sellers all tell me that, but you know more then me for sure. Any help is apreciated, and sorry for the long post. Oh and by the way, the system that i mapped out costs about 520$ shipped on fleabay, that's about my budget.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think i posted in the wrong section of the forum, could an admin please move it to the right section please? thank you.

·
Super Moderator
5,231 Posts
Probably the wrong section.

As is always asked here, what is your goal? Besides keeping it around $500 do you wand perfect sound or a normal sounding car stereo but louder? The rear speakers will be best off as a midbass in mono or build a panel to put all the speakers up front in the doors. We assume you will put it in yourself; will you add any sound deadening? Can you fabricate using MDF? BTW, the "r/h hole in the trunk" (driverside) can be made to have about .6 cu. ft. internal volume box and fits a 10" sub that's no more than 9" depth. gl

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for the response. I want better sound of course. I also want it to be louder but not have any distortion. I'm not looking for the best sounding system but something better then stock (witch is not hard to do at all). I guess i could still use my 4 channel infinity amp witch is rated at 111wrms/ch and put more money in the other components. I don't want to modify my kicker panels of door panels so i'll only be using one set of components in front. I really like your suggestion for the rear speakers, great idea, hadn't thought of that. As for the sound deadening i will probable use some, don't want to the car to rattle. Do the front doors and the inside of the rear quarter panels for the rear speakers and the inside of the trunk where the sub will. I plan on doing a fiberglass box myself, i'm pretty good with my hands and i'm pretty i can do it. I plan on stretching it a bit and going a couple inches into the trunk. That way i could do a vented box if necessary. Could you suggest a good 10 inch sub and amp that could fit with that size box? By the way i'm still researching how to tune a box like that so any ideas would be great. Thanx for you help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The infinity i am currently using is a 7540a. I just found out that it's bridgeable but only at 4 ohms. So i'd have to find either 2ohm or 8ohm or dual 4ohm 6.5 woofers for this to work. Are there any that come to mind? I know of the eD 3.6 and they seem pretty good but maybe you know others.

·
Super Moderator
5,231 Posts
You will want 2 - 8 ohm woofers for the rear( makes 4 ohm bridged). There are lots to choose from. As for suggestions: These should work well and are cheap Peerless 830657 6.5" SDS Woofer from Madisound

Subwoofer box can be made of MDF if you want. Like these Camaro Stealth Enclosures They are small (.6 cu ft) so not all subs will work well. One of these should be good Boston Acoustics G210-44 DVC 10" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com

And on a budget this amp will do MTX Audio TC4001 Mono Subwoofer Amps Car Amplifiers Car Audio Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix

Of course you can find a lot better components if you buy used.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts