DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at possible candidates for a 2.1 setup with active front stage. The amp needs to run HAT Imagine woofers and tweeters in front, and an Infinity Kappa 12 subwoofer in sealed box. The Alpine amp has ratings are

4 ohms: 50 watts x 4 chan. + 200 watts x 1 chan.
2 ohms: 75 watts x 4 chan. + 300 watts x 1 chan.

which may not seem like much but independent measurements show it's somewhat underrated. (speaker channels showing 90watts rms into 4ohms at 1% THD, very good SNR, channel separation, etc). So power wise, this amp looks fine to me. Form factor.. great.. Price.. I could afford it. I am really salivating over it, because the form factor could result in a very neat install. I am sick of seeing 22 inch long Jensen amp in my trunk, though it seems to work fine if not somewhat hot on hot days like most class A/B.

I am looking for reviews. Is there anything negative that I need to know about this amplifier? I am concerned about heat.. the need of cooling.. any possibly nasty pops on turn on/off, longevity, quality of crossovers, etc.

Another 5-channel amplifier I might consider is the new PPI Phantom 5-channel, though it seems like Alpine may have a bit more power and better channel separation (not sure if this spec is useful, but I have read that better than 60dB is considered very good in car.. and Alpine meets it).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had one for a few months in my jeep. It is a solid performer. I have it on infinity Kappa 5.25s and 6.5s, and a Kicker L5 Solobaric 10. The system is loud and the sound quality is great. I do want to add more to it, but don't actually need to, I just want to. Don't hesitate to get this amp if you need a cheap all in one solution.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Sorry to dig this up from the grave, but I was wondering if anyone has run this amp with the front 4 channels bridged to 2 channels, running at 2 ohms? Trying to see if they would work running my RE 2 ohm components. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to dig this up from the grave, but I was wondering if anyone has run this amp with the front 4 channels bridged to 2 channels, running at 2 ohms? Trying to see if they would work running my RE 2 ohm components. Thanks.
I doubt many people have tried it with any amplifier, much less this one. Considering that RE XXX components are rated for 150watts each side, this amplifier would not be my top choice, but if I had it, i'd try using it without bridging channels. Being 2-ohm speakers, I think the amplifier will might them a lot of power even without bridging.

A more powerful 5-channel or perhaps a dedicated 4-channel might have worked better. I know that Polk's Class D 5 channel showed around 80/150watts of power on full range channels in one test.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Sorry if this is a noob question, but would the amp actually see a 1 ohm stereo load in this case, as it has been bridged and is running 2 ohms per channel?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the heads up. Sorry if this is a noob question, but would the amp actually see a 1 ohm stereo load in this case, as it has been bridged and is running 2 ohms per channel?
Yes. To run stable at 1ohm, the amplifier probably needs a better power supply, etc. Some might just work, but it might be too much for most amplifier's full range channels. Do you already have the amplifier?

Consider the 5 channel polk or PPI P900.5. If you don't care about powering rear speakers with the same amplifier, consider a high power 4-channel amplifier. PPI Phantom P900.4 would be a fine choice. The individual channels give you over 200watts at 2ohm, or over 400 when bridged for 4ohm subwoofer. The amp is small and very efficient. In such case, you do need a subwoofer that can be wired for 4ohms.

PS: sorry I meant 4ohm subwoofer..

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Great, thanks for the info! I do not own the amp, it came up for sale locally and was wondering how it might work out. I am running a Kenwood 4 channel right now, comps on the front, back half bridged to my sub. I think down the road I might get one of the new mini amps in a 2 channel to run the components with lots of power, and a separate mono block for sub. Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts