DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an accord and finally settled down with the stereo. I always surprise myself how well my system turned out. But I'm having some engine trouble, and my transmission is grinding a bit too much.

Like the rest of us on this forum. One of the most important thing about a new car is "How much mounting depth will I have?" Will the CA18RNX fit in the door?

I was looking at:
92-96 Honda Prelude
97-01 Honda Preludes
G35 Coupe.
Latest generation Accord Coupe

Any help or opion would help.

Thanks
David

·
Registered
1,847 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Scion TC! Very informative link.

Yeah the TC is a nice car as well, I heard from rick that it's a well dampen car already. So not much rattling to begin with. LOL if you can fit 4".. have you tought about putting 8" XLS in there? <-- sweet midbass!

Thanks
David

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I may eventually try it but i still havn't even gotten my CA18RNX in there yet teamed up with my lpg 26's, but hopefully soon. If i do try it, it will be when i try out a 3 way up front. Going 2 way as of right now, till i get more into the DIY and f-glassing and custom work. The car is very well dampened just like rick said, i have a single 12 in there right now and it gets decently loud but still no rattles at all YET. Cept i think my rear dome light does everynow and then.....no biggie really.

The car is also very reasonably priced as well......handling and acc. are top notch IMO, this coming from a former SUV guy with a 99' explorer, and i'm loving the daylights out of this car, just ready to get the audio up and going......i have everything i need cept to deaden the doors, and a nice crossover, but i have something hopefully setup for that one.

Gotta sell some of the EQuip i have left over from my last install before i can buy anything else :(, including dampener and crossover :( so thats my hold up right now.....and my equip isint looking to be selling AT all.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
demon2091tb said:
The car is also very reasonably priced as well......handling and acc. are top notch IMO, this coming from a former SUV guy with a 99' explorer, and i'm loving the daylights out of this car
No way! :) I think I might have to test drive one this weekend! Is there anything that you don't like about the car?

David

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
xDeLiRiOuSx said:
demon2091tb said:
The car is also very reasonably priced as well......handling and acc. are top notch IMO, this coming from a former SUV guy with a 99' explorer, and i'm loving the daylights out of this car
No way! :) I think I might have to test drive one this weekend! Is there anything that you don't like about the car?

David
Hey mane, if that doesnt work out, sell me your CA18s....okay?

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
The tC is one hell of a car for the money, huge performance potential, very very well made, could be an excellent horn, dash mid/tweets, mids in doors with pillar tweeters, kick panel two or three way(midbasses in doors, etc, etc, car, room for whatever you want to build!

I have Lotus Refs in my doors, just cut the center out of the stock baffles, beefed them up a bit and I ran a diagonal brace inside the door accross the mounting area for the speaker.

The car has fairly high road noise, odd considering how well it is treated by the manf. The main problem area is the side panels right behind the drivers doors, beside the rear seat. It is a very large and not well supported area, I could flex them in and out at least 3/8" on bass(Arc 10, 1000 watts:) Since our car will see alot of autocross action I did not want to just add a bunch of mat, it would of taken at least two but probably more like three layers in the middle.

Instead I bonded thin wall aluminum channels to the outside skin(inner side of course;) every 4" aligned horizontally as long as I could make them. It is a bit tough as they have to be formed to match the body contours. Then I ran veriticle strips of mat 3" wide, every other 3" over the area and where it intersected the channel just worked it down really well onto the sides of it then cut out the area what bridged the bare side of the channels. Then I used a few patches of ensolite and after than covered the whole area with a 2" thick piece of accoustical foam.

After than I filled in all the voids in the area with expanding foam, not garden store stuff, this was commercial grade, very good foam. I also covered the majority of the wheel wells with it, some areas are double walled, not needed there, they will just get ensolite on them.

Then, I filled the hollow area above the wheel wells and the outside of the car with expanding foam, in several sessions to allow complete expansion each time to prevent any body damage.

The rest of the car is filled with foam as well, all body cavities that is, Pillars, crossmembers, frame rails, etc, etc. We used over 200 liquid oz of expanding foam in the project, will drive it for the first time today, just around the block, tomorrow it goes on a trailer for moving to our new location.

We removed all factory deadening and are using our products of course as well as several other items like silicone sealer, tie wraps, double face tape, etc, etc, no stone left unturned. That is about 3/4 of the sound deadening we have done, still have a few things left to finish up, nearly 150 hours so far:)

Anyway, I drifted off a bit from the post topic but though you may want to see how far an anal retentive sound deadener can get carried away with, lol!

Rick

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AzGrower, a guy name goskers has a set on the classified. If I remember correctly It was very well priced and practically new. LOL I almosted picked them up as a spare but figured my next set may be the G18RNX :)

raamaudio (Rick), Thank you so much for that excellent description. Both you and demon2091tb have definately convinced me to test drive the Scion TC this weekend. I honestly didn't think much of that care, other than it looks pretty sweet. I'll let you know what I think after the test drive.

By the way, I realize that Scion cars are "pure-pricing" or something like that. Does that mean we all pay the same price? There's absolutely no negotiation?

Thanks
David

·
Registered
578 Posts
Man those G35's sure are sexy...

Other than that... I got XLS 8's in my doors ;) Cough, Cough, CoughRAMCough, Cough, Cough

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep the G35's are sweet. I think in the end I'll get that one. But driving around a $1500 car (I actually bought my car for that much!). And moving up to a $35,000 car. I'm not sure I can justify spending so much. Although the G35 is a great car. I can probably be as well off with a $10,000 use car...

Hrm, decisions, decisions.

David

·
Registered
578 Posts
xDeLiRiOuSx said:
Yep the G35's are sweet. I think in the end I'll get that one. But driving around a $1500 car (I actually bought my car for that much!). And moving up to a $35,000 car. I'm not sure I can justify spending so much. Although the G35 is a great car. I can probably be as well off with a $10,000 use car...

Hrm, decisions, decisions.

David
You're right... In the end if I didn't have a family I would not have bought the RAM & be quite happy with my little Saturn... it's economical, it's cheap to fix & when I break something on it I don't have a heart attack... :)

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
xDeLiRiOuSx said:
AzGrower, a guy name goskers has a set on the classified. If I remember correctly It was very well priced and practically new. LOL I almosted picked them up as a spare but figured my next set may be the G18RNX :)

Thanks
David
Nope someone beat me to them already....Damn It

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mustangs are sweet rides, how hard was it to install the CA18RNX in there?

I personally prefer japanese sports coupe, don't know why, but imports is where my heart is at.

David

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
How about the new Eclipse.....those look pretty cool, not sure about specs and all but they resemble the G35 alot imo.....

Also i don't think you can go wrong with the tC for the price......i damn well know i didn't..... :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the eclipse is not bad, but it's expensive. I'm kinda leaning towards the TC a lot. Is the TC roomy in the back seat.

So you have no regreats at all? nothing you desire that's not in your car right now?

I might even consider a 325ci, it's not too expensive (I have a friend that works in a dealership). And it surely stands out from the typical "hondas" and "toyotas." Still deciding.

Bad news today: my expensive piaa headlight (one of them) died today. makes me want to rush this buy so I could just trade in the damn car and not worry about fixing the light. Poor all that sounddamping and time to tweak the stereo... but it's time for a new ride, sadly.

Thanks
David

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
10 lbs of boost nets around 300WHP on a tC:)

Rick

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I consider the back seat for a 2door coupe to be rather large.....if you've rode in or looked at the RSX then this will mean something to ya, i've sat in the back of both and let my tell ya the RSX was a TIGHT squeeze, not very much legroom at all, on the other hand the tC has significantly more leg room, my dad sat in the back seat when we test drove it, my mom in the front seat, with more than PLENTY of room up front, and my dad is a moderatly big guy (6', 250lbs) and he never once complained about not having enough room in the back.....So i hope that lets ya know something about the rear leg room. It has alot more room back there than it looks on the outside. Also has a good bit of cargo room as well, though it dosent look like it either.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, you two really love your car and it shows! -- I appriciate your opinions!

I've considered the RSX-Type S as well. They go for around $21500... But they are really cramped in the back. Preludes are worse I fear. I like how roomy the back seats are.. that's a BIG "+"

Rick, Not seriously into HP that much, I'd like it to push around 200HP. What would I need to get that kind of power? and the typical costs for such upgrades?

Thanks
David

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Thinking of upgrading mine here in the future....would like to finish a bit on the Audio side of things before i go towards performance, but right now with a stock 160hp, auto, the acc is more than i could have ever asked for, but would still like more acc. and would love to get to the 200hp mark.

I do really love my car......sucks i have to park under lots of tree's though, car dosent stay very clean for long after i wash it.....mabey a day at the max.

Also intrested in what it would take on an auto to buff up to 200hp, and the costs associated with it. Any ideas Rick?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts