DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put in a new PDX-F6 and PDX-M12. They sound fantastic, but they both exhibit a slight turn on pop. Not loud enough to damage anything (I hope), but is this normal?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Not on your list of the amps, but I have had about near a dozen of the older PDXs and never a turn on pop.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have a turn on pop with my Massive Amps. Its really annoying. I'd try to figure out if it happens with the RCAs unplugged also as a first step.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tested each amp individually, with no RCAs connected, the other amp disconnected, triggering directly from the accessory lead (not from head unit), and they still pop. I can't think of anything else that could be causing this other than it being a fault with the amps themselves. That said, it seems inconceivable that I'd get 2 different amps with the same fault. (assuming this is a fault and not normal behavior)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Ah, I hate it. Very similar to my situation. Have you tried adding a turn on delay or testing the out of the car or in another car?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
The probability of it having the same fault on both amps is pretty low.

Got another amp to hook up to debunk the theory?

No noise with my m6

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a PDX-F4 and i do get a pop up noise, maybe your gains are set too high or your speaker polarity(woofers and twitters) isnt right . I know the noise yo are talking about and i dont think its anything serious. Soon as i put my speaker polarity in phase i dont get that problem again. Just my own 2 cents contribution bro

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I have a PDX-F4 and i do get a pop up noise, maybe your gains are set too high or your speaker polarity(woofers and twitters) isnt right . I know the noise yo are talking about and i dont think its anything serious. Soon as i put my speaker polarity in phase i dont get that problem again. Just my own 2 cents contribution bro
Thought polarity wasnt an issue with pdx connectors

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thought polarity wasnt an issue with pdx connectors
Polarity ofcourse can still be an issue, after all PDX speaker plugs just have a +ve and -ve terminal labelling, if you dont follow the color code of your speaker cable, then you would have them out of phase polarity wise

·
Registered
898 Posts
No amp should have a turn on pop or a turn of pop/ thump. If you have any of this, something is wrong with your installation.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Polarity ofcourse can still be an issue, after all PDX speaker plugs just have a +ve and -ve terminal labelling, if you dont follow the color code of your speaker cable, then you would have them out of phase polarity wise
Yep, my bad just checked, still not the issue here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Exactly the same problem here.....I have F4, F6 and M6, all hooked up to MS-8 processor.

Never had any such turn-on pops with my previous amps.

Turn-on pops I hear are just like clicking sounds (never loud at whatever volume) so I didn't really care much about them, until I came to this thread.

I hear three consecutive clicks when the amps are being turned on, though sometimes only one click is heard, so I guess all three PDX amps have the same problem (if it IS a problem..)

Now, having heard that such turn-on pops may not be a common issue, even with 1st Gen PDX amps, I guess I'll need to do some investigation....:(

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Are gains up extremely high? Try a toggle switch directly on the turn on to see if it's the remote keeping the amps on after HU is off and storing juice. Also check grounds for resistance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did several tests trying to find out the cause of the pops.....one of them was to disconnect all the RCA outputs from MS-8(so no input to the amps), and it didn't seem to help much....This being the case, will such a relay with a turn-on delay help removing the pops?

Anyways.....since I ordered an Axxess Trigger (for some other purposes), I will be able to try and see if a relay with turn-on delay works sometime next week...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
In the mean time, unplug your remote turn on wire. Turn the car on and let the radio and MS8 come on. After they come on, plug in the remote wire to turn the amps on and see if it pops at that time. If not, then a delay will fix it. I added a delay to my setup and my amps still pop. I need to do some troubleshooting in the spring when it warms up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
would a regular automotive relay fix this? because i have one laying around and wouldnt mind trying this. i however only get the turn on pop from the m6 not the f4

1 - 19 of 19 Posts