DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we all know that satellite radio is a big SQ compromise... However, one of the comments on the Pioneer DEX HU intrigued me - basically saying the system works so well it makes Sirius almost bearable...

So I'm wondering - are any of you happy with Satellite radio as a source? I'm still waffling over what to do with the stock (cheap) setup in my new Dodge truck and don't have buckets of cash to throw at it. :D ....I haven't been in a huge rush since it came with a year's free Sirius.

Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have both Sirius and XM. The XM sounds much better and the signal is stronger. Both radios are OEM equipment and the antenna are roof mounted. Pandora off of my Verizon 3g blackberry sounds 1000000x better than either of these. YMMV

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhh, thanks all. I've had the upgraded pandora at home for over a year, just havent used it much when driving - I do a fair number of trips where cell coverage isn't available. :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had factory honda xm and have replaced with pioneer HU with pioneer XM tuner. It sounds WAY better, but still not up to 128kps mp3. Much much much better than the honda factory unit tho.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I have both Sirius and XM. The XM sounds much better and the signal is stronger. Both radios are OEM equipment and the antenna are roof mounted. Pandora off of my Verizon 3g blackberry sounds 1000000x better than either of these. YMMV
pandora is still only 64-128kbps. not exactly SQ source.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've been using MOG off of my iPhone through my KDC-X794 and I sounds pretty good. I have it set at 320.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had Sirius many years ago and I loved the content available. But I did notice a marked difference in sq to any other source.

I messed around with eq till I was blue in the face trying to get it to sound good with little success. I had to submit to the fact that if I can bearly tolerate ipod at 128k there just would be no way for me to truely enjoy satellite radio for personal use.

That being said, I still think satellite radio is the best for travelling with companions as I am usually talking more and listening to music less. I also travel in areas where the cell network does not support Pandora/Slacker yada...yada...yada. I did subscribe to Napster for a while on my Droid and I have to say that (at least while using A2DP) that the sound quality was superior to any internet radio I have tried.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Always thought XM sounded GREAT!! However that was on my HD Ultra Classic.... not exactly the best environment for SQ.... :)

I have been debating on putting it in my car with the new deck.... interesting thread... didn't realize SQ was that bad, but I still might give it a try. I miss some of the music channels that I use to listen to when going on long bike rides....... I must say I HATE the music crap that DirecTV uses, use to be XM & now their own crappy generic version....... ugh

·
Registered
57 Posts
pandora is still only 64-128kbps. not exactly SQ source.
FWIW, I drive 30K+ a year and haven't noticed too much of an issue with XM. Enough EQ tuning and it's not bad, especially when you throw in a little freeway road noise. I've actually found Pandora almost unlistenable in my truck.

XM is not CD quality, but to me it sounds similar to a 128k mp3.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts