DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been planning for a few weeks now how'll I outfit my every day truck. Commutes are not particularly long at the schedule I follow, but certainly, I'd like some actual quality, body and consistency to the sound.

It's a single cab Silverado, so we've got plenty of exploitable quirks to abuse related to car audio. We've got a factory 150A alternator, a solid AGM battery, 4 and 0AWG based big-three; as well as a small cabin, that even a small subwoofer will pound hard from behind the seat.

My plans all surround an active 2-way front end, based on either a set of Focal Flax speakers, or the Madisound ScanSpeak signature kit. Mated to either a shallow mount Focal Flax sub, a JL Audio tw5 or a SI BM MKV.

However I'm torn between a number of 5-channel amps ranging from Audiocontrol to Zapco.

Power needs aren't really that demanding; a minimum of 80W for the woofer (at 4 Ohms), 50W for the tweeter, and around 500W for the subwoofer channel. Budget wise, I'm willing to stay along 1K USD; I understand needs like these can make the price range grow around 25%.

These are some of my current candidates:

• Audiocontrol LC-6.1200
    ARC Audio XD1100.5
    Rockford Fosgate P1000X5
    JL Audio HD900/5
    Focal FPX 5.1200
    ZAPCO ST-5D
    Hertz HDP-5
    Alpine PDX-v9

If you can give this one, slightly overwhelmed, wannabe audiophile any advice, I beg you go for it!

·
Registered
612 Posts
if interested I have a phoenix gold sx1200.5 for $200

FRONT AND REAR CHANNELS:
Frequency Response: ± 1dB from 20Hz to 20kHz
Signal to Noise Ratio: >100dB
High and Low Pass Crossovers: 12dB per Octave
Front/Rear High Pass Crossover Range: 15Hz to 250Hz
Low Level Input Range: 200 millivolts to 8 volts
Lowest Recommend Load: 4 ohms Bridged/2 ohms Stereo
Typical Efficiency: 80%
Damping Factor Greater than 200
RMS Power Output 125w x 4 @ 4 ohms Stereo
200w x 4 @ 2 ohms Stereo
400w x 2 @ 4 ohms Bridged

SUBWOOFER CHANNEL:
Frequency Response: ± 1dB from 20Hz to 250Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio: >100dB
Low Pass Crossover: 12dB per Octave
Low Pass Crossover Range: 15Hz to 250Hz
Bass Boost @ 45Hz: 0 to +18dB
Low Level Input Range: 200 millivolts to 8 volts
Lowest Recommend Load: 2 ohms
Typical Efficiency: 80%
Damping Factor: Greater than 200
RMS Power Output 250w x 1 @ 4 ohms
400w x 1 @ 2 ohms
Recommend Power Wire Fuse: 80a
Power/Ground Wire Size: 4 Gauge
Dimensions (Includes Feet): 12.3” L x 6.9” W x 2.0” H
314mm L x 176mm W x 50mm H

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you are considering the Zapco ST-5D, then I would have you look at the Zapco ST-6X SQ. It will give you a little more power for your front stage and you can bridge two channels for your sub and get 300 watts (RMS) for the sub. But, if you bridge then you have to keep it at 4 ohms. You cannot bridge the two channels and keep it a 2 ohms.

You can get them for around $400, I think. A do believe a member on this forum, SkizeR, is a Zapco authorized dealer. Hit him up and he can give you all the info you need.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are considering the Zapco ST-5D, then I would have you look at the Zapco ST-6X SQ. It will give you a little more power for your front stage and you can bridge two channels for your sub and get 300 watts (RMS) for the sub. But, if you bridge then you have to keep it at 4 ohms. You cannot bridge the two channels and keep it a 2 ohms.

You can get them for around $400, I think. A do believe a member on this forum, SkizeR, is a Zapco authorized dealer. Hit him up and he can give you all the info you need.
The good old SkizeR! I follow him on reddit too!

I've heard he planned to make a group purchase for ST-6Xs. Might need to poke him to get a little more insight on those.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
If you are considering the 900/5 I suggest you take a look at the Mmats HD6150. They can be had for about the same price and I think the Mmats is a superior amp. Granted, it is a 6 channel but ch 5 and ch 6 can be bridged. Just look at specs and decide for yourself.

Also, I think someone here had a Zed Leviathan for sale, great amp if it is the III version. I hear the II has some issues that were worked out on the III.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I've had the Leviathan and I own a 900/5. The size of my JL is much more practical! But I love both. I didn't have any issues with my Leviathan despite the history of others. Both are phenomenal amps. I don't have any experience with the 6150 though.
The Mmats is "almost" as small as the 900/5. Compare some of the specs:

HD6150:

6 x 150 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms Class D Full Range Amplifier
6 x 275 Watts RMS @ 2 ohms Class D Full Range Amplifier
4 x 150 Watts RMS @ 4 ohms + 1000 Watts RMS @ 1 ohm mono
4 x 275 Watts RMS @ 2 ohms + 550 Watts RMS @ 2 ohm mono
9.5″ W x 10″ L x 2.25″ H

900/5:

Main Channels @ 4 Ω 100 W RMS x 4
Main Channels @ 3 Ω 75 W RMS x 4
Main Channels @ 2 Ω 75 W RMS x 4
Main Channels @ 1.5 Ω 75 W RMS x 4
Main Channels - Bridged @ 8 Ω 200 W RMS x 2
Main Channels - Bridged @ 4 Ω 150 W RMS x 2
Subwoofer Channel @ 4 Ω 500 W RMS x 1
Subwoofer Channel @ 3 Ω 500 W RMS x 1
Subwoofer Channel @ 2 Ω 500 W RMS x 1
Subwoofer Channel @ 1.5 Ω 500 W RMS x 1

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Wow.... Looks like there's zero downsides
I have the 6150 and I will take this amp over what I had before (a set of DLS A4 and A6 and later a set of PPI art series 600.2 and 404.2). To me the PPI's were the gold standard and this has surpassed them. The bridged channel can drive my two subs with authority, more so than the A6 and the 600.2. Different animals and a comparison is almost unfair, but the bottom line is that the 6150 is a very high quality amp.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you are considering the 900/5 I suggest you take a look at the Mmats HD6150. They can be had for about the same price and I think the Mmats is a superior amp. Granted, it is a 6 channel but ch 5 and ch 6 can be bridged. Just look at specs and decide for yourself.

Also, I think someone here had a Zed Leviathan for sale, great amp if it is the III version. I hear the II has some issues that were worked out on the III.
Where are you getting the 6150 for that price?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have the 6150 and I will take this amp over what I had before (a set of DLS A4 and A6 and later a set of PPI art series 600.2 and 404.2). To me the PPI's were the gold standard and this has surpassed them. The bridged channel can drive my two subs with authority, more so than the A6 and the 600.2. Different animals and a comparison is almost unfair, but the bottom line is that the 6150 is a very high quality amp.

Very high quality. It seems like once you buy it there is no meaningful upgrade. I was disappointed on how the zapco lx sounded in my car good thing it was just a loaner from a friend.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
590 Posts
Very high quality. It seems like once you buy it there is no meaningful upgrade. I was disappointed on how the zapco lx sounded in my car good thing it was just a loaner from a friend.

Wow, you liked the Mmats HD6150 over the Zapco Z150.6 LX? Can you be a little more informative? I am looking at the Z LX (and maybe even the Z150.6 AP) but would like to hear what you have to say about that Mmats. I really like that there is a marine grade amp available.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts

Where are you getting the 6150 for that price?
Contact Boricua here, you may get it for a little less than the 900/5.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wow....what didn’t u like about the LX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The noise it made while I was playing a IASCA disc was crazy . Bad enough to try moving around the amp and buy expensive cables to make sure it wasn't the car. Besides the mmats sounded way better. The front stage sounded wider and had more depth. The subwoofer sounded tight and faster didn't miss a beat. The subwoofer part is no fault of the zapco because it's not rated to do 1 ohm the zapco was run at 4 ohms on audiofrog gb12 d2.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wow, you liked the Mmats HD6150 over the Zapco Z150.6 LX? Can you be a little more informative? I am looking at the Z LX (and maybe even the Z150.6 AP) but would like to hear what you have to say about that Mmats. I really like that there is a marine grade amp available.
I don't know anything about ap amplifier. Yes mmats sounded way better then the zapco z lx 6 channel on front stage wider more depth more impact . The subwoofer part is not a fair comparison at all because the mmats runs 1 ohm with 5 and 6 bridged @1000 watt zapco does 500 @ 4 ohms.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.