DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two of my speakers inadvertently picked up some metal shavings on their magnets (motor’s).

I know it’s just an aesthetic issue, but does anyone have any tips or tricks to remove metal dust from a speaker magnet?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
You could blow them off with compressed air or use freshly melted candle wax, perhaps even tape, like duct tape such as Gorilla tape.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
When I first read this, I thought you were talking about shavings in the magnet gap!

That's a whole lot more fun to resolve.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Use a metal object that’s not magnetic but a magnet will stick to... sounds mad, but the magnet of the speaker will now have magnetised the metal shavings and they will now stick to a steel non magnetic object

·
Registered
18,300 Posts
use a stronger magnet :)

Believe it or not, this is what i do with tweeters. I magnetize my pic tools and get them close to the tweeters little crevices and it pulls out whatever metal objects may be in there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just discovered using little strips of sound deadner. Noico. Stiff enough and can push the shavings into the rubber n reuse. So much better than using tons of tape. I also tried attaching Mia dining of magnets to the end of a shop vac while scraping it out. This is the best method I’ve found. Or take it to the third story window and drop it on a metal plate with a pic of your ex wife.
can also roll up the rubber and clean the outside of the speaker magnet of all the little stuff real fast and use that for ear plugs when the bass drops out the window:/. Aloha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts