DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am looking for someone around my area that could help me with tuning my setup. I have a 2009 Honda Accord with an Eclipse CD7200 mkII as the HU, a TRU Billet 4.100S powering Dynaudio Esotec 242's up front (passive) and Rainbow SLC 165's in the rear. For the sub, I have the Rainbow Vanadium 10" sub (dual 3 ohm in series so wired @ 6 ohm), in a sealed box, powered by the Rainbow iPaul 2.400 bridged to 400w @ 4 ohms (so effectively around 270w @ 6 ohms). Everything sounds very nice right now, but I know it can get better with some tuning. I would be willing to travel (to an extent) to meet someone if they were willing to share their expertise/wisdom/advice. If anyone here is in the area with the know-how and willingness to help, or know someone with such, please let me know. Help me get the most out of my (passive w/ rear fill, yes I know that part already) system! Thanks guys!

Stephen

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kord,

Thanks for stepping up. Savannah is what, 3 hours away from Jacksonville? If I do it, it will have to wait about a month because I have weekend duty for the next few weekends. Is there anyone closer in the area?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Savannah is about 1 1/2 hours from Jax, give or take. If you decide to come up here, just give me a week notice, and I'l, set the time aside.

·
Registered
718 Posts
No disrespect to generalkorrd, but given the amount of cashola you dropped on that incredibly nice setup, I'd consider a day trip to Atlanta (Marietta, to be exact) to visit Jeff Smith at Sound Sensations. He does this for a living and has trophies to prove it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the ATL is like 5 hours away...that would have to be a weekend trip. Does he charge a lot for tuning? I think if I was going to get the serious tuning done, I would want to have my system at a point where I don't want to add/change anything. I am still thinking about a processor in the AudioControl/BitOne/3Sixty.2 type, and I have been thinking about going three-way semi-active (separate channel for my midbass, but have my midrange and tweeter on a passive crossover, if that's possible). I wouldn't want to kill a weekend and a big chunk of change having someone professionally tune my 2-way passive setup, only to change things up and have to start over, especially with someone so far away. I guess I am just having a hard time buying there's no one like that around here...

Kord,

I guess Savannah is closer than I thought; Maybe in a month I will head on up. I appreciate the offer to help for sure! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
823 Posts
I made a 4.5 hour drive each way to atlanta to let Jeff do some of his magic and it was well worth it!! Jeff's a great guy and it will be worth your time!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
The question is, what is it that you need more of in your system? If you are happy with the sound, there is no reason to mess with it, if you are unhappy with it, then you should be able to tell someone what your problem is... i.e. staging, imaging, highs, lows, etc. The problem with paying an "expert" to tune your system is that it is totally subjective, and everybody prefers a different sound. He may tune it, and you don't like it. Then he retunes it, and it ends up being something that you could have done yourself from the get go. That is the most fun of doing an sq system, to me at least, is when you change one small thing and all of a sudden BAM! it sounds amazing and perfect to you.I have tuned many home audio systems worth more than most cars, and I have never been to any classes, and only a few sq comps. does that make me an expert? No. It just means that I have a good ear, which is all that tuning really requires, along with some materials like dmm's cd's etc, which I have a few of, and knowledge about what different things to do to achieve certain results. I am NOT knocking anybody with this statement, just simply stating an opinion, and trying to save a guy some money in a tough economy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To all,

I appreciate both points of view; I think once my system is the way I THINK I want it, and I don't think I am going to change it for a long time, I wouldn't mind paying someone to tune it for me. I will want to be, not looking over their shoulder, but quite involved with the tuning, so I can add my "taste" into the tuning. For now I was hoping for someone who can help me get the most out of my system for the time being. Kord, I appreciate you trying to help me out; the money is not the issue, it's of a combination of money and TIME - a combination of which I would rather not invest twice. I would certainly be willing to buy a pizza and a case for the day to get some pointers/assistance. And to the others, once everything is complete in my system, I will keep Jeff's name on a note to check in later. Thanks guys! Kord I will PM you and maybe we can work something out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts