DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just started my install and have come to realize that the speakers I bought are probably not going to clear the windows when they roll down. Is there anyway to prevent the windows from going down all the way? I need to stop the windows about 2 inches from the bottom. Anyway to do this? I have a Kia Forte sedan if that helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
umm...buy new speakers or use a bigger spacer

no point in installing something that hinders normal operation of the vehicle IMO
The windows would stop an inch or 2 at most above normal. Not something I'd consider to be a major problem. And besides there's no speakers that would fit. I have maybe 2 inches at most to work with and I'm not cutting my door panels to make them fit with a larger spacer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
no point in installing something that hinders normal operation of the vehicle IMO
Sorry, I disagree!

No point having windows that go right down if it hinders the listening and driving experience of the vehicle! (IMO) :)

Tagaiz, I'm in the same situation. I'm putting some Illuminators in my Subaru Legacy and don't care that my windows won't go right down.

I plan to put a bolt through the door frame to stop the window just before it hits the speaker. I then just need to hope no-one burns out my motor by holding the switch down too long after it stops...

Auto-down is also a concern. I spoke to the Subaru tech, who told me the mechanism to stop the window at the bottom when using auto down was contained in the engine itself, so I'd need to ensure that it was not engaged. I'm pretty sure it will be as simple as cutting a wire from the window switch, but I'll know for sure in a few days!

Although I already have a plan of sorts, any further advice on this matter from other members would be appreciated!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I disagree!

No point having windows that go right down if it hinders the listening and driving experience of the vehicle! :)

Tagaiz, I'm in the same situation. I'm putting some Illuminators in my Subaru Legacy and don't care that my windows won't go right down.

I plan to put a bolt through the door frame to stop the window just before it hits the speaker. I then just need to hope no-one burns out my motor by holding the switch down too long after it stops...

Auto-down is also a concern. I spoke to the Subaru tech, who told me the mechanism to stop the window at the bottom when using auto down was contained in the engine itself, so I'd need to ensure that it was not engaged. I'm pretty sure it will be as simple as cutting a wire from the window switch, but I'll know for sure in a few days!

Although I already have a plan of sorts, any further advice on this matter from other members would be appreciated!
So much about car audio is about modifying the vehicle in order to maximize audio enjoyment and quality. It seems silly to spend more money on speakers that would fit the space (if there even is anything that would fit) when a solution is right there. Honestly, how often do you need that 2 inches at the bottom?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm sure it's possible, weld a metal bar on there or something. Just mak sure it's tough. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
metal against window=shattered window.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know what actually stops the motor when it reaches the bottom? Is it stopped manually by some sort of shim in the motor or does power to the motor get cut? If it's stopped manually that means I can safely shim it without worrying about burning out the motor. If it's electrical I'll have to figure something out.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Yea sure that makes tons of sense....just wait till the window shatters :rolleyes: Just don't come here asking how to fix it

You can definitely make things work such as kickpanels, custom dash, apillars etc which are all custom but dont interfere with functionality. But how about not rolling down the windows at the tollbooth or drive through...let's just open the door because I'm the "audiophile" that installed speakers too big to roll down the windows. Yea makes tons of sense

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea sure that makes tons of sense....just wait till the window shatters :rolleyes: Just don't come here asking how to fix it

You can definitely make things work such as kickpanels, custom dash, apillars etc which are all custom but dont interfere with functionality. But how about not rolling down the windows at the tollbooth or drive through...let's just open the door because I'm the "audiophile" that installed speakers too big to roll down the windows. Yea makes tons of sense
Do you not understand that at most the window will stick up above the doorsill 1.5-2 inches? Absolutely no interference whatsoever. My car is lower than tollbooths or drive-throughs anyway so I have to reach up to get to anything out of the window.
I'm also not talking about blocking the window with a shim, but the motor so a shattered window is out of the question. For someone with nearly 5,500 posts your reading comprehension stinks.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
My reading comprehension may stink in your opinion, but my common sense does not ;)

A possibly solution to your problem, may be a limit switch tied into the window motor that opens the circuit when the window hits it stopping the window

Still though, the most practical everyday solution for me would be to choose a different speaker or refinish the door panel to allow a larger spacer

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My reading comprehension may stink in your opinion, but my common sense does not ;)

A possibly solution to your problem, may be a limit switch tied into the window motor that opens the circuit when the window hits it stopping the window

Still though, the most practical everyday solution for me would be to choose a different speaker or refinish the door panel to allow a larger spacer
I was thinking about a switch but I don't know how I'd roll the window back up once the switch is activated. It also seems unnecessarily complex. I'll take a look at the motor mechanism tomorrow and figure out what I'm going to do. If worse comes to worse, I'll just glue some really thick, soft foam somewhere to let me know to let off the switch before I reach the magnet. Also, like I said there's very few speaker options that are any shallower than the ones I have now. And nothing that I've seen that's in my budget or as good as what I have.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I was thinking about a switch but I don't know how I'd roll the window back up once the switch is activated. It also seems unnecessarily complex. I'll take a look at the motor mechanism tomorrow and figure out what I'm going to do
exactly ;)

If worse comes to worse, I'll just glue some really thick, soft foam somewhere to let me know to let off the switch before I reach the magnet. Also, like I said there's very few speaker options that are any shallower than the ones I have now. And nothing that I've seen that's in my budget or as good as what I have.
seems just a bit ghetto dont you think?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
exactly ;)

seems just a bit ghetto dont you think?
I don't get what you're getting at. I'm the only one that ever uses my car windows so it's not like anyone would know. In my opinion, unless you spend a lot of time and attention on door pods, or kick panels, they generally look like crap and even when the do look good, they almost never look stock. I want my car to remain stock looking.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just buy some MDF spacer rings. Then you can space the speaker half an inch farther out, and that'll give you some more clearance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just buy some MDF spacer rings. Then you can space the speaker half an inch farther out, and that'll give you some more clearance.
The door panel is in the way. I'm already making spacers but from the door panel to the window might not be enough space for the speaker.

·
Registered
977 Posts

What of he had that porsche that the door windows don't roll down? :eek:

Hehe.

So how far 'behind' or beyond the window does your speaker go? I used a 3/4" mdf spacer/baffle to mount my rk6s in my ford contour. Put em a Lil close to the door card but they don't hit still...

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was thinking about a switch but I don't know how I'd roll the window back up once the switch is activated. It also seems unnecessarily complex. I'll take a look at the motor mechanism tomorrow and figure out what I'm going to do. If worse comes to worse, I'll just glue some really thick, soft foam somewhere to let me know to let off the switch before I reach the magnet. Also, like I said there's very few speaker options that are any shallower than the ones I have now. And nothing that I've seen that's in my budget or as good as what I have.
Not that I would do it because I agree that the windows should go all the way down..... Here's what I would do. Have a micro switch that trips a relay to cut power to the down side of the motor. Then the up side should work to allow you to get the window back up. On most cars tht I have seen, there are two powers that go to the motor, one for up and the other for the down side.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I've just started my install and have come to realize that the speakers I bought are probably not going to clear the windows when they roll down. Is there anyway to prevent the windows from going down all the way? I need to stop the windows about 2 inches from the bottom. Anyway to do this? I have a Kia Forte sedan if that helps.

Use a longer bolt and some washers and push out the front window track to help clear the speaker.....this is an easy fix to help gain some depth

·
Registered
898 Posts
You can use a sensor. Have a receiver and a omiter lined up correctly. When the window passes this, the motor will stop as you wired this up correctly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts